Best device for Coreelec in 2024

yeah ofc as it should be, it’s funny Amlogic for whatever stupid reason did not offer 64 bit SDK even with the previous 4GB boxes like Ugoos AM6 series it’s 32 bit Android OS. :slight_smile:

While 64-bit architectures offer better performance and memory handling, Android devices using 32-bit systems with 8GB of RAM are often designed for compatibility, power efficiency, cost savings, and market-specific needs. These devices may be able to utilize more than 4GB of RAM through the OS kernel and advanced memory management techniques, but each process would still be subject to the 4GB limit.

The industry is gradually moving toward 64-bit-only devices, but for some devices, particularly in emerging markets, the benefits of staying with a 32-bit system still outweigh the potential advantages of switching to 64-bit.

4 Likes

You can buy the pro or non-pro version. My point is that most of the S928X boxes are basically the same. Pick whichever is cheaper or more appealing.

this is why you’re best box list I always recommended to everyone and why I value your judgement since you have a vast of boxes you’ve tested. thanks man

1 Like

My worry on Aliexpress when I ordered the X96 X10 Pro was the wording didn’t make it clear that I would in fact get the Pro with the -J but I was relieved when I did. Now if YadaYada can find us a dovi.ko that works it will near the the top of this list on price/performance.

Being an addict myself going back 20 years, I maybe have purchased 50+ boxes and SBC’s plus NUC’s etc and finding the right remote and power supply can be a pain. Fortunately for me I don’t care as much about watching (again) those 300 movies with FEL. I guess I collect boxes not movies and watch PVR on CE or Android and apps on Android so while the X96 X10 Pro is a nice box, my Rocktek is better all around choice. I love the many key remote.

2 Likes

This $30 media player stick was one of my favorite devices back then.

Please be very careful when buying the X96 X10, for DV support it’s the Pro.
There can be some exceptions, but to be sure of having DV support you have to get the Pro version.

2 Likes

Where can this Pro version be bought? All I see on Ali/Amazon are versions without “Pro”

1 Like

I really can’t say much. If you use Google you’ll come across with a x96 website where all X10 are -J soc. So I’m trying to get all the info from x96.

this original page?

Seems like that’s the original page, there’s also a forum: [Guide] S928X-J CoreELEC installation and FAQs - X96 TV Box: the Forum

(This thread has a link to ours and the guide)

Nice !!!

Is Team building dedicated DTB ?

Or still going with Ten cent 5x

Already for some time: DT: add X96 X10 · CoreELEC/linux-amlogic@731cd59 · GitHub

Ok
Thanks for reply
Was reading link to x96 mini how to install CoreELEC Vasco posted.

Also thanks for info RE: Need PRO Version of box.

Yes, Coreelec is not an Android operating system, yet the Coreelec running on the GT-King II requires an installed Android operating system, unlike the Khadas A311D2. (From my understanding) Since I already had a ‘super’ partition error on the GT-King II. (Like this one: https://discourse.coreelec.org/uploads/default/original/2X/a/a93b4720119c372320067e701000e58a7df4f47f.jpeg)

I did not mention anywhere that HD Audio did not work. Only that non HD audiocodecs like AAC in 44,1kHz still has an error and couldn’t be played back correctly.

And yes, all listed errors before are with the “GT-King II” in Coreelec, if you’re running Khadas A311D2, you might not have these issues at all!

I have a gt king II not a Khadas
The first thing I did was to install CoreElec to internal and because on this does not support android dual boot it removed mine. No idea why you have that error but I never did on mine and I never used android on it.

Regarding non HD codecs as I mentioned I have no issues at all as everything I throw at it will be decoded directly on my decoder because I have pass through enabled for everything.

Any reason the AM8 doesn’t support P7 FEL if there is a compatible dovi.ko file?

That’s the whole point, there is no FEL compatible dovi.ko for the S928X SOC and kernel 5.x yet.

Magenta Tv One(V2) with s905x4-j can playback fel.

the box has it’s own content and subscription based, it has a nice remote. it’s from a german comapny so all these factors mean it’s hella expensive for s905x4-j

It’s normall 169 euros but they have an offer on for 89 euros if you sign up to their service. It’s a very bad offer for coreelec box