Boot error since CE 8.90.3

@LNGR Thanks for your log, the error in your log is the same as the one I recently fixed in the test build.

@rosenrot follow instructions as above

Ok. Only not yet compatible with C2. Iā€™ll wait for an update.

Thanks for your effort @anon88919003 & @rosenrot

I think @rosenrot is experiencing another issueā€¦ maybe a dodgy sdcard? the permissions error is definitely fixed though.

My K2 since 8.90.3 update sometimes crashes during boot. I see Coreelec logo and then this in screenshots. I canā€™t do dmesg, because device isnā€™t visible on network while an error occurs, only after restart. I connected it both via cable and wifi

Here is dmesg afrer proper restart
http://ix.io/1fh9

Another screen after a few minuter (Iā€™m a new member so I canā€™t paste two screens in one post)

Just humour me here - you have tried with a different SD (type 10) /USB stick, havenā€™t you?

I can not access my box via ssh in this state. So how can I provide you the dmesg?

Would a slow motion video help? Or does the display kick in too late?

video

I didnā€™t know that it might be a problem with my card. There wasnā€™t any problem before update. I ordered a new one and will make a fresh install

I suggested a new sd or usb in the first reply to this thread.

@bubblegum57 I know that very well. However, several people came up with this error since 8.90.3, this is why I still hope that my sd card is working.

Fair enough, do you think a usb would be more robust that a sd card?

Honestly, I donā€™t know. I was wondering if sd cards wear out fast when running kodi from it. Does anyone know? This would be my second dead sd card in 3 years.

If I have to buy high quality sd cards it would almost be worth it installing kodi internally and in case there is any problem, I buy a new box.

I have one test SD card, Sandisk type 10, since first Raspberry Pi came out. It had numerous versions of Open/Libre/CoreElec on it with numerous versions of Kodi, and it is still going strong. So, in my experience SD cards are quite durable

What I never do, is pull out the plug when my boxes are running, always proper shutdown.

Thanks for the info. The error occurs also when rebooting normally.

@anon88919003 would I see the same error on 8.90.2? Since the kernel changed, Iā€™m not sure about it.

@rosenrot please try this build here itā€™s our latest code with kszaq kernel

@LNGR @Computerbastler18 does daily builds here including the C2 refer to his thread here.

Restarted 20x times, no errors with this build.

Thanks for testing @rosenrot we will switch back to kszaq kernel for the next release and stick with it as it is most stable and trouble free, sorry for the trouble this change has caused.

We will spin up builds for 8.90.5 in the next few days.

2 Likes

@anon88919003 I appreciate your response. However, on the other side I prefer newer/maintained kernels. Please let me test tonight/tomorrow, not that your decision is based on my 20 reboots. Anyway, I guess there have been other problems around with the new kernel. But still, sometimes it is worth going with new/buggy things.

What about the other people? Can anyone confirm that the old kernel works?

@rosenrot itā€™s not the first issue we have experienced, the osmc kernel is based on the kszaq one, it just has some newer patches in it, it is still the exact same kernel version.

The kernel is 1 thing we have always tried to avoid messing with as any time spent on it is wasted time, the plan is to eventually move to mainline when it is ready.