BUG: Paused videos and specific menu options DIM rather than showing screensaver w/Odroid N2+

I have a Odroid N2+ with the latest nightly (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.0-Omega_nightly_20240126-Odroid_N2.img) installed. When I pause a video the screensaver is expected to sgtart after 1 minute, and then after another 1 minute later the TV should turn off via CEC with my current settings.

What I am seeing is that the paused video will dim after 1 minute, and then CEC will turn it off.

I have settings->interface->screensaver-> Use dim if paused during video playback disabled (the switch is grey and moved to the left).

I have tried Asteroids and Picture show screensavers with the same results.

If there is no video playing the system will show the selected screen saver, and then will shut off as expected.

Can anyone tell me how to get the screensaver to work with a paused video? This is a supported device per the wiki, so I hope someone can make a suggestion.

Logs: https://paste.coreelec.org/JKdNsA

Update: I can also reproduce this bug in specific menu areas as well by. If I go into Settings-> System → Input → Peripherals → CEC adapter, and then just let the screen sit on the CEC Adapter settings window I will get a dim rather than a screensaver.

Here is a link to a video I made showing the issue. The screen saver never kicks in, it just goes dim.
Issue: TRIM_20240202_102752

I can upload a video of paused video doing the same thing if someone needs it, but visually it is the same. Let me know if that is wanted.

Same system. No changes Just in the main menu rather than the CEC Adapter window.
Working as expected: 2024-02-02-10-37-59-803

Photo of screen saver settings:

Update 2:
I observed something very interesting. If a video is paused and the controls are shown at the bottom the video will gray out for the screen saver. However if you press the back button to get the controls to disappear the expected/normal screensaver will kick in.

Works as expected (Paused video, no buttons shown, screensaver shown):
Imgur

Does not work as expected (Paused video, buttons shown, picture dims)
Imgur

Update 3:
I have found a messy work around that can be used until this werid behavior can be ironed out. It’s not perfect, but way better than nothing if you have bad habit of walking away from the TV while it is paused for long periods of time and don’t want to risk screen burn. The down side of this work around is that the video has to be manually restarted, and it chirps when it stops the video in the background.

Install the ‘Autostop addon’
Set the Pause Autostop Minutes to whatever time frame you like. It is limited to 5min increments.
Set Activate Screensaver to enabled.
Optional:Set CEC to turn off the TV after the screensaver has been activated.

Update 4: Much cleaner work around for paused videos.
Enable the Automatically close video OSD option.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Estuary/Settings#Automatically_close_video_OSD
It’s not perfect, but it is much better.

As far as I know it has always worked that way. A paused video causes the screen to dim being on any other screen will ignite the screensaver. I don’t think it’s a bug or something to be corrected.

I respectfully disagree.
If that was the case, why would there be an option to disable DIM as a screensaver option?
If that option doesn’t disable dimming the screen during a paused video… then what does it do?

Kodi installed on a PC will start the screensaver during a paused video with that option disabled.

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_cec
Maybe tunning some settings of CEC could help you? :thinking:

I am not having issues with CEC turning off the TV, and I would be surprised if CEC settings could impact which screensaver was displayed.

I do have ‘put devices in standby by screensaver on paused video’ enabled.

However if there is a CEC setting that you think would impact on the screensaver, I would be more than happy to give it a shot.

It is explained in the help text shown in your photo, shown in blue at the bottom of the screen.

The option to “Use dim if paused during video playback” works just as the name suggests. It is not an option to disable dimming, it is an option to enable dimming if you haven’t enabled a screensaver.

@MoojMidge
I have a screensaver enabled. I want the screen saver to work. Unfortunately I get dimming and not the screensaver.
Can you tell me what needs to be changed so that I get the screensaver and not dimming when a video is paused?

I would expect these settings to result in no dimming when a video is paused:

What should be changed?

Read the help text at the bottom of the screen. That’s the expected behaviour for that option.

Nothing with respect to user settings. As you have discovered it is possible to force the screensaver on using other means.

~As explained previously, it is an option to enable dimming when a screensaver is not used, not an option to disable dimming when a screensaver is used.~

Edit: This is incorrect, seem to recall this same behaviour previously, but I am either mistaken or this has changed. So it should work as you want it to.

Edit2: It seems to do the opposite on Windows, never dims, regardless of what the setting is.

So something is broken. Perhaps a dev could consider making a bug/fix for it?
I would be happy to make the bug, if someone can point me to a form or git that needs to be filled out.

The work around introduces other issues. I don’t really want to stop my videos every time I pause what I am watching.

When you sure it’s a Kodi bug you might continue here. But only if it’s same issue like on Windows or Linux Kodi.

I’ve opened a bug Selected screensaver does not start when button are shown on a paused video and/or a window is opened in a menu. The image is dimmed instead. · Issue #24627 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Did you test this issue also on Windows or Linux? Or just CE?

I installed kodi on my win 10 pc, and was able to reproduce the issue.

Normal windowed menu: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Dimmed windowed menu (should be asteroids screensaver): Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Non-windows menu working fine (screensaver shown as expected):2024-02-04-08-56-24-348

From what I see this is the issue started long time back on all platforms.

What I noticed that issue depends what controls are visible on screen.

• If you press key Spacebar on keyboard to Pause then screensaver starts.
  • But if you press key I for Information Page and select pause from there then only Dim happen.

Tested on Windows with Kodi Omega.

Got idea for test from here:

That shows resolution as fixed in 2019. So either Kodi has reintroduced a new bug, or (assuming the issue is the same) it was never fixed in the first place. As such I will leave my bug report in place.

1 Like