Can't Run Any TVHeadend Add On

Sorry… It’s me again… After trying hard last night I succeeded creating my playlist and enjoyed watching TV. This morning I turned on TV as soo many people as I wake up and I clicked on Live TV… Everything was OK… The channels were there as I have ordered them and I clicked on a channel but I got this notification "TVHEADEND HTSP CLIENT - No Free Adapter Available"and the channels are all black although EPG information is correct and updated… What could be the problem this time?

either signal is not great, or it’s playing/recording another channel. I assume it’s a single tuner.

try a reboot

Correct.
If not any of the above.
Unplug Tuner. Replug tuner.
See if that works.

1 Like

Finally it has disappeared… After my third reboot… lol Everything is fine right now but I’m curious what might have happened. Thanks for the answer. You guys are just great :slight_smile:

I have experienced similar behaviour with my tuners. Usually a power off of the box (not just a reboot) will bring the tuners back. Its a problem with the TVheadend’s tuner settings falling out of sync with the current state of the tuner and it needs to completely reinitialize the tuner to clear its corrupted settings.
Its sigtnificantly improved on my box because the driver was improved, but some of the drivers out there are marginally stable.

Shoog

1 Like

Thanks all for your contributions. I couldn’t reply earlier…sorry for that but now my tuner works fine and has no problem.

I hate to dig up this thread but after many months of struggling with no free adapter available when using TVH client i am getting kinda desperate here!. So is there ANY real solution to this other than reboot your (HDHomeRun) devices?, its really frustrating that any sort of crash of CoreELEC results in TVH Server’s inability to correctly identify the adapters in use (can play from HDHomeRun via android app so i know i have free adapters), this then results in missed recordings, which is rather sad.

If you check tvheadend server and in status tab the tuners appear as in use, you should open an issue at tvheadend GitHub. I find it odd that you can play from android app as when I get this I check the tuners’ page and there they also show as in use. But maybe with the android app the tuner realizes it’s not in use anymore.

I will check next time it happens, just to be clear the android app is the HDHomeRun app not a TVH client app, so in mind this rules out the issue being the HDHomeRun device and points the finger of blame at TVH Server, as @Shoog said in his post i think he is bang on with the following:-

For now my nasty cludge is to reboot the HDHomeRun devices on startup of CoreELELC and also to reboot HDHomeRun every day via cronjob, not ideal by a long shot!.

I run my tvh server in Ubuntu using docker and I have the same problem, although very rarely. So it’s tvh server that doesn’t release the tuners and points to a issue that can be shared in their github.

One last comment on this before I try and word this issue on the TVH GitHub repo, I forgot to mention that when ‘no free adapters available’ happens (usually triggered by a Kodi crash/lock up) then even if I reboot the machine running TVH Server (in my case CoreELEC) then the issue persists, the ONLY known way out of this is to then either physically disconnect and reconnect power for the HDHomeRun device or to use the HDHomeRun CLI and send a reboot command.
Once that has been done it all magically fires into life, so there is some config file or similar hanging around in TVH Server that is only cleared when a reset is done on the HDHomeRun devices, it’s a bit odd, but that is my experience.

Would a search for New Servers in TVH work?
I have long since disposed of my HDHomerun devices so cannot check here.

You can also try NextPVR with Silicondust tuners and there aren’t any issues reported releasing them. It is available on CE 19+ and many other platforms.

Thanks for the suggestion, always nice to have options, but i have spent quite a bit of money on 2 x quad tuner HDhomeRun units and i am loathed to switch at this point.

For anybody else who may come across this post and may want to perform my nasty cludge of rebooting the HdHomeRun units on startup or on crash i have created a statically compiled binary of the HDHomeRun CLI which allows you to do a reboot of the unit, feel free to download:- https://github.com/binhex/packages/raw/master/static/arm64/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_config

I don’t fully understand as NextPVR will use the same quad tuners and other h/w and Kodi clients you have now. It might indicate if the issue is with the devices or TVHeadend

1 Like

Sorry skim read the post (in a hurry) and saw the word tuner and assumed you were on about PCI devices for some bizarre reason :-).

In any case, I shall take a look at this, I have never actually played with NextPVR so yeah that should be interesting.

The other option i could try is to bypass tvheadend by simply using the HDHomeRun Kodi plugin, that again should reveal whether the issue is TVH related (what I strongly suspect) or whether its HDHomeRun related.