CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

@R3S3T_9999 Do you think you can run you full battery of tests on the S905X4?

Sorry, I donā€™t test new devices anymore and I sold every player I had because the ugoos am6b+ does everything I need.

1 Like

This Dolby Vision (+FEL) ā€œdovi.koā€ is working on my Dune Homatics box.

I am running this Android firmware version >> SEI804HM_firmware.12.8.7329.

I tried three different device trees, the first two, had no Ethernet. This is the one that works >> sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4.

To verify it is working, I tested this clip, and it showed the lady with the camera. DV FEL All Layers Test (Woman at 80s).mkv

Job well done, thank you.

@Zuma Can you help get a dtb for the Kinhank G1 for -ng ?

Sometimes after play one movie in homatics, with the CE NG, then trying to play musics, flac, gave me weird squirrel sound. Then tryed 2=3 start stop the music, and sound normal. This can I hear in the kodi system sound tooā€¦

Start by trying
sc2_s905x4_4g.dtb

You need to go through the SC2 DTBs and find the one that boots, and has the most hardware functionality (WiFi, BT, Ethernet etc). Once thatā€™s figured out for the G1, then maybe some fixes can be applied using that DTB as a base.

The CE team may first focus on trying to see if the new dovi.ko can get us any closer to making DV FEL work on CE-NE. I think making new DTBs for CE-NG is heading in the opposite direction of where CE wants to go right now (CE-NO).

i try it NG build & dovi.ko for Dune s905x4
but i have issue when play DVB channel via pvr addon

there is no dtb for G1 & NG build
only NE build

but i try it before with ā€œsc2_s905x4_4g.dtbā€ and boot

but need fix wifi & ethernet & bt
so, i think @ Portisch can help us for NG build

1 Like

Can confirm Working on Kinhank G1
Amlogic S905X4-J

As posted by Zuma there is no DTB in NG for Kinhank G1
Use Generic s905x4 100mb

Also with no DTB you will need a network adapter.

*Iam using TP Link USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Which also should end debate
Can Kinhank G1 playback all Dolby Vision Remux
Yes with this adapter, and probably with wifi6

Thankyou Yada Yada!!!
Most Excellent

May have vaulted Kinhank G1 to over the top of list on 2024

Now on to cpm build

Thx again !!!

Happy Testing

4 Likes

I donā€™t own these boxes but damn thatā€™s so cool! thanks for your hardwork and skill!

that box is going for $60.17 (pre tax) right now in AliExpress

Iā€™ll try to add some notes to the OP as people test out their individual s905x4 box models. Iā€™m expecting that DV + DV FEL will work on all the licensed s905x4 boxes.

But I donā€™t know if Ethernet, WiFi, BT, sdcard slot, etc will work with the currently available CE-NG s905x4 DTBs. So far Iā€™ve seen at least one person saying all basic hardware is working on the Homatics R Plus & Dune HD R Plus.

Kinhank G1, is booting with one of the generic DTBs but Ethernet, WiFi, BT (?) isnā€™t working.

Rocktek G2 / Nokia 8010 still looking for any confirmation

Ugoos X4Q has a custom CE-NG dtb, assuming basic hardware is working.

And these three models donā€™t use DV licensed SOCs?
Buzztv U5
Buzztv X5
Ugoos AM7

I see a couple people saying that Ethernet does work on the Homatics R Plus, did you try this DTB? sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb

@clarkss12 same as above, did you try sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb (1gbit dtb version)?

Ethernet, wifi and Bluetooth work on my homatics with that version of dtb.
But I think the homatics depend of the hw revision, and maybe the android fw too. Mine is first gen silver, android TV 12 fw 7319.

1 Like

The color of my Homatics is rose gold, not black,android TV fw v12.8.4588. I tried 3 DTBs (sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4, sc2_s905x4_ugoos_am7, sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb) and none of the ethernet worked. WiFi works, my bluetooth remote works.
SSH:dd if=/dev/dtb | gzip > /storage/backup/dtb.img.gz
dtb.img.gz (106.3 KB)
Thank you

1 Like

Just as a remember: For SC2, S905X4, Homatics a special CoreELEC discount do exist: Special Homatics R 4k Plus CoreELEC discount

2 Likes

Ethernet working on Dune Homatics with ā€œsc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtbā€ but not stable
first boot Ethernet working fine, and after reboot system lost ip and have issue not start again!

1 Like

I confirm rocktek G2 workingā€¦ ALL
FEL
Install CE on Sdcard
sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4
LAN 1000, WIFI, BLUETOOTH

2 Likes

On Homstics Box 4K R plus DV FEL working, WIFI working but Ethernet do not working.

Many of the features of the S905X4-J are not working on the -ng branch because support for this chipset was never really developed for the -ng branch. Basically, the -ng branch is considered End-of-Life and I think the CoreELEC team would like to see it discontinued.

The discovery that FEL works on the S905X-J overturns the dominant theory that FEL support is in hardware. For the longest time, the assumption was that FEL support was either enabled or disabled on the SOC and therefore nothing could be done about it. The S922X-J supported FEL and nothing else did. The discovery of this dovi.ko module and the ability to play FEL on kernel 4.9 proves that FEL support is in software not hardware. Therefore, there are two possibilities either Dolby disabled FEL support in later dovi.ko modules or there is a gigantic bug in the amlogic code similar to the one that disabled TV-led Dolby Vision until recently.

I see three realistic paths forwards. First and most likely, the CoreELEC team could work on bringing support for the S905X-J to the -ng branch. Second, if support for FEL is disabled in dovi.ko, someone could create a modified version that reenables support for FEL. Third, if itā€™s an Amlogic bug, the CoreELEC team could track down the bug and fix it enabling FEL on a wide range of devices.

In short, itā€™s time for some patience until the CoreELEC team can figure out the best path forwards.

6 Likes