CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

I think the S928X-J/K will also have P7 FEL if using CE-NG.
@Portisch

I confirm FEL works on ugoos x4q Extra, include CMv4.0, True Tv-LED, Same as on am6b plus

3 Likes

I few things to keep in mind before making requests to the CE Team. This is only possible on the s905x4 because it was originally released on kernel 4.9 (CE-NG) so there was official Amlogic support for this SOC, including a SC2 dovi.ko complied for kernel 4.9.

The s928x was never running on kernel 4.9, there’s no s928x 4.9 dovi.ko, and probably incomplete driver support for s928x on 4.9

AML NG pretty much ended with the s905x4. Something seems to have changed with amdolby in kernel 5.4 that broke FEL support and it’s likely going to be up to Amlogic to decide whether to fix it or not.

@liquidion I’m not sure about cm4 on the SC2 SOCs. Was it not ever working on the s922x? I never had a TV that supported cm4 to test that.

4 Likes

Can confirm working on the Homatics Box R 4k Plus!!!

@Portisch Can you develop a dtb for the SEI devices for -ng?

2 Likes

Device: HOMATICS R 4KP(Rose Gold), tested to support FEL, but the wired network does not work, the wireless network does.
Can you fix DTB files?Thank you

lol I just got the AM6B+, I know the S922X SoC is more powerful than S905X4, does it have other advantages? do you notice the performance difference in CE? does all the CPM stuff working too?

is it possible to dual boot Android to emmc with S905X4 devices? Homatics Box R 4K Plus with Android TV including chromecast support seems nice (Kinhank G1 seems like an alternative too)

I have both box. The ugoos has more performance as the homatics, in the homatics you cannot do ceemmc.

All cpm mod works in both box.
Now both can play lossless dv profil 7 fel.

1 Like

ok thanks, I’ll stay with the Ugoos then, but good to have more options, especially with licensed Android TV support.

what makes it possible to dual boot Ugoos to emmc and the others not?

When the homatics box is connected to 2 USB drives, it cannot boot to the CE, but to the Android TV

nice to see such a developement. Great work!

What would theoreticly be the most powerful device with dv fel support that may have support for av1 codec, too?

well the s905x4 is the only one that does both. but av1 software decoding does work on the s922x. only tried it up to 1080p. 4k might be a bit rough in SW

You probably want the Homatics Box R 4k Plus.

What about UGOOS X4Q Extra 128GB?

Should also be able to do FEL too right? I’d like the extra storage space.

It’s confirmed working on the X4Q

I’d assume DV FEL will work on any DV licensed s905x4. The bigger question is if all the devices hardware will be supported under CE-NG. There is this dtb sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4.dtb in CE-NG. A few people are reporting the Homatics R Plus is working without any major issues.

Some of these newer, less popular models like the kinhank G1 are less known in CE-NG

1 Like

Cheers mate, think I’ll give it a go. Worst case it’ll be a decent streaming box.

Be careful, the X4Q is not certified and Ugoos doesn’t offer the greatest software support.

1 Like

what makes it not possible to run dual boot with these S905X4 boxes? thanks

CE can still be mostly run off of the eMMC on any box even the s905x4 with this guide.

The CE eMMC tool resizes and creates partitions. The guide above only moves all of storage to the eMMC data partition. The kernel was already being loaded and run from RAM. That only leaves a portion of the system.img running partly from USB and RAM. This setup gives you most of the benefits of the CE eMMC tool.

It does still require the USB for booting.

2 Likes

Yeah I know, I have two Am6b pluses already, this will just be a fun little test box really.

Ethernet works for me on my original (black) Dune HD Homatics R 4K Plus with the sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb file.

@YadaYada Thanks for finding and publishing this, now I have two devices that can do DV P7 FEL :+1:

2 Likes