Chapter thumbnails/bookmark issue

I have given you an explanation for what would be causing this problem based on the log you provided, and also a suggestion for what you should do with this information.

If you think something else is causing the problem, then you should keep investigating, but there is no point discussing it further with me as I have no more to add, nor can I fix the issue for you.

Good luck on your quest for answers.

I saw that you opened an issue on Github, also saw the forum post you opened.

Why repeat yourself three times in three different places, without actually listening to anything that is being discussed with you?

When you keep on bringing up irrelevant issues (like on the Kodi forum, and in the edited posts here), and don’t provide the information that is requested, it is no wonder that people lose interest in trying to help you.

One last try from me:

• I am not sure why you are talking about Kodi 20 with this. If you are having crashes when using chapters, that is not the same issue, and if doesn’t happen in Kodi 21 why keep bringing it up? All it does is confuse the situation.

• If you have crashes in Kodi 21 (or even Kodi 20) that are actually because of using chapters then you need to provide a debug log and crash log for this. Not just any random crash log for something completely unrelated (which is what the crash log you provided is - loading a different skin on startup without even playing a video let alone navigating using chapters).

• If you say chapters work in Kodi 21 using Android why don’t you provide a debug log showing how the same action, using the same video, works in Android but not in CoreELEC?

• I advised you to open an issue and provide the details of this discussion, regarding the PR that causes the problem shown in your log. Do that, rather than just repeating yourself again, otherwise your issue will just be closed as being unable to be reproduced, which is what the Kodi developers already told you in your Kodi forum post.

Hello MoojMidge,

Why repeat yourself three times in three different places, without really listening to what is being discussed with you?

When you continue to raise irrelevant issues (like on the Kodi forum and in edited posts here) and fail to provide the requested information, it’s no wonder people lose interest in trying to help you.

I understand how you feel, but know that I am doing my best despite the generals/globals constraints I face. Besides, when I have time, I regularly update the information contained in the posts to which you refer, gradually, according to my understanding and the recommendations that I am given. I will continue to refine the information I can provide based on your recommendations. Thanks to you I am progressing.

I don’t know why you’re talking about Kodi 20 with this. If you’re experiencing crashes when using chapters, it’s not the same problem, and if it’s not happening in Kodi 21, why continue to talk about it? All this only confuses the situation.

Because I think (perhaps wrongly) that the cause is the same, but the symptom is different. I thought providing this information could help with the diagnosis. Allowing in particular to exclude the idea that this problem is exclusively linked to Kodi 21. So in your opinion it would be better to remove this information?

If you are experiencing crashes in Kodi 21 (or even Kodi 20) that are actually caused by using chapters, you need to provide a debug log and a crash log for that. Not just any crash log random for something completely unrelated (that’s what the crash log you provided is - loading a different skin on startup without even playing a video let alone navigating using chapters).

Thank you for pointing out this error to me. I don’t understand why this happened again. However, I reproduced the error before generating the link. I’m going to do this again. Furthermore, the “Kodi Log” is useless for diagnosing? Only the “Error Log” is relevant?

If you say chapters work in Kodi 21 on Android, why don’t you provide a debug log showing how the same action, using the same video, works on Android but not in CoreELEC?

Because I didn’t think it could be useful. I’ll add that. Thanks !

I advised you to open a ticket and provide the details of this discussion, regarding the PR causing the issue shown in your log. Do so, rather than just repeating yourself, otherwise your issue will simply be resolved because impossible to reproduce, as the Kodi developers have already told you in your message on the Kodi forum.

Please note that I am neither a developer nor an English speaker, therefore I admit that I did not fully understand this part. I have already used Ghitub but only for its “Issue” part. I don’t know how this “Pull request” thing works.

I saw that you had indexed my “Bug Issue” to that of a request to improve the timing to better take into account the change of chapter. So I understand better what you recommended me to do. I never thought it could be related. I know this is an assumption. And this will indeed advance my research.

I am sincerely grateful for your help MoojMidge.

Sometimes less is more. Producing walls of text is almost never helpful. Same with talking about multiple different issues at the same time. Just stick to one thing, do or provide what is asked and that’s it.

The issue has already been closed, because it just rehashed what you already reported previously, but hopefully it may be reopened.

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing this issue lately, primarily with shows that allow skipping intros with chapters.
Instead of moving to the next chapter, It sometimes skip two chapters ahead, and occasionally I’m unable to return to the previous chapter.

It seems this issue does not occur with Kodi Android? If so I wonder if this commit has anything to do with: vh265: start decoding after first I frame · CoreELEC/media_modules-aml@2469c20 (github.com)

Nightly archives only goes back one day so I’ll try to build one myself and report back.

Edit: Tried with rc2 from march 20th and it’s the same.

1 Like

I confirm that this problem does not occur on Kodi Android.
Kodi Android Log : hastebin

I also notice that chapter 3 (which is blocking on CE) of Terminator (which I tested in these Logs) does not start at exactly the same place on Kodi Android compared to Kodi CE. There is a few seconds of delay.

Kodi CE Log : https://paste.coreelec.org/whuMtc

This happens with SDR too, the only common thing may be the h265 codec.

It does seem like an I frame thing, but I don’t know when exactly this started happening. I was on 20.5 ng-dv builds last month and it was fine then.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve been having issues with chapters on CoreElec for years. The symptoms have evolved a little over time, notably with the passage of Kodi 21. But they have always been there for me.

Some discussions on the subject here: Problem with fast forwarding by chapter · Issue #25014 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

@Bindou - I am replying to you here, to avoid having your issue locked. I don’t have any opinion about you personally, and I am trying to help you, but you are not helping yourself at all.

You are just repeating yourself, cross posting the same thing to multiple places, but not bringing any clarity to the situation. Not every comment requires a response, especially when there is nothing relevant to add.

Bringing up Kodi 20, hybrid videos, HDR, Dolby Vision, crashes, h264 vs h265, different random symptoms evolving over time, etc. is all irrelevant and simply confuses the situation.

I’ll try and create a test file that will replicate the issue. You were already advised to do this yourself, but didn’t follow instructions and ended up doing it incorrectly, so the problem you are reporting couldn’t be reproduced.

Instead of taking the time to read and understand what you needed to do, you just ended up wasting people’s time, who were trying to figure out what you are actually talking about.
You are leading people astray by bringing up all this irrelevant stuff, and this is why your issue has already been closed.

As for your question regarding Android, that is actually relevant. It seems that Kodi on Android is not seeking to nearest keyframe after a chapter marker, but instead the nearest keyframe before the chapter marker. The stall you observe is Kodi decoding the few seconds of video from the previous keyframe to the actual seek time to get back in sync.

1 Like

Hi Kann,
Do not hesitate to support this request by testifying.

Well, support for CE at Kodi issues will not bring you much support. Only if you can replicate on Windows or Android or Linux.

Yeah, and there is no indication that CE is doing anything different. I’ll try it on PC, if it happens I’ll try to report back.

1 Like

Hi Vpeter. Is the video player programming different on CoreELEC ? What do you recommend doing then, opening an issue on the CoreElec Github ?

Of course there are different differences.

What I recommend? Live with the issue until there will be time to fix it. And you already open an issue here on forum.

In fact @vpeter, I’ve been dealing with this problem for a few years now. And considering that CoreElec has, in my opinion, reached a very high level of functionality and compatibility, I thought it was a good time to talk about it. But I will continue to wait as long as it takes. It’s not so bad. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MoojMidge, in order to update and centralize all the data collected during this research, can you confirm or deny my understanding of the hypothesis you exposed.

Your hypothesis is that Kodi CoreELEC looks for the keyframe after the chapter marker when browsing. Which could cause a delay because the player has to decode the entire sequence of images up to the chapter point. While Kodi (anothers Platforms) looks for the keyframe before the chapter marker, which allows for faster synchronization.

Is it this difference that you think could cause navigation problems between chapters on CE ?

I also take this opportunity to share the recent response from CrystaIP, a Kodi developer :

" I was able to download the sample finally, and with or without hardware acceleration, no glitch. with remote, with OSD buttons, through bookmark/chapters, … (Windows on desktop PC).

Hardware decoding is still the likely culprit, but it cannot be clearly confirmed with that video on your device because it’s not powerful enough to decode it without hardware assistance. Find another lighter video that still shows the issue with hardware decoding and is smooth with software decoding. You may have to go down to H264 codec and 1080p or lower, or even further down to mpeg/xvid and dvd resolution. It depends on the strength of your CPU. Then test the chapter jumping with hardware decoding off. "

Please try chapter seek with tomorrow nightly, CE-21 20240425, again.

There was a patch from early CoreELEC days still applied to Kodi.
This patch was need in past because the seek did might not end up on a keyframe.
So it did a step forward to the next keyframe. This cause like in this example a diff of 10 seconds between chapter position and keyframe position. And this did lead to a lock out in the chapter seek function.

I guess Kodi seek does now end up on keyframe since a while ago so this extra seek is not need anymore.

1 Like

I just made a build of my own and stuck chapter issue seems to be fixed. I can go back now.
But the issue of skipping an extra chapter still exists. I can consistently do it when there are only a few minutes remaining before the next chapter. For example, when it’s used to skip an intro in a TV series. Eg. South Park.

I can provide a sample from Star Trek TNG for this.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your interest Portisch. For my part, after testing several problematic films, the chapter passage bug is resolved. This is really good news. However, I still have the problem of thumbnails not displaying. And when you click on it, the movie currently playing stops immediately.

What we can see at the 25th second : https://youtube.com/watch?v=LLptQ5pNKrY

1 Like

Please always compare to nightly Kodi Windows, Ubuntu Linux or Android if it’s same.

1 Like