Chapter thumbnails/bookmark issue

@Portisch

How can I give you the link for the sample? It’s a 10 minute sample from Star Trek to check for chapter skipping.

This video shows the issue clearly, when the video is close to chapter mark it skips two chapters.

I tested on LE generic and on Windows and there it behaves the same for. Local files shows thumbnails but remote over HTTP doesn’t.

1 Like

Why would this work on Android, but not on Windows and CE ? (I configured SMB network for Kodi Android and Kodi CE)

Use Mega.nz

False joy ! Strange phenomenon, it worked for a few dozen minutes on films that usually don’t work. The chapter thumbnails worked perfectly. And then some time later, the bug returned. :confused:

After discussing with content creators, UTF8 chapters with names with special characters (accents, etc.) may not be supported. What do you think ? Would Kodi Android benefit from better compatibility than CoreElec with reading chapters ?

Upload a sample. Should we always be guessing things like this…

The sample I shared in my first post is still valid…?

On CE it works exactly the same for me as on Windows. So try on Windows yourself.

1 Like

I carried out numerous tests, which allowed me to notice a strange thing. By launching the video directly from the file browser rather than from the media library, it works well. The thumbnails appear well and allow you to navigate the film from one chapter to another. But the big problem is that going through this, the video takes 2min20 to start.

Then I tried to recreate the chapters myself with and without special characters, but in all cases I ran into the same problem. So special characters are not the cause of the problem.

What could possibly be causing this problem? And why does it work perfectly on Android and not Windows? Mystery.

I will update my first post with all this new data. I have reached the end of my skills, so for the future, I can only rely on you.

Vpeter, I’m not sure I understand. For your part, the chapter thumbnails work perfectly from the network, on Windows but also on CoreElec?

I only tested local files - don’t have any network equipment to test with.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, chapter thumbnails don’t work on CE over the network, unlike on Windows.

Tested with nfs and samba.

@Bindou Did you take a debug log?

1 Like

Thank you very much Kaan. This therefore confirms my observations. We therefore have an overview which allows us to be sure that the problem is inherent to CoreElec, more precisely to its management of network reading. Yes, my first post actually contains the CE and Android log.

But I can see thumbs on my setup with smb so that’s not always the case

It actually varies depending on the film. I can’t figure out what makes it work or not. I tried with other chapters that I redid myself, and the behavior is identical. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but for me, chapter thumbnails only work on my h264 videos. And never on my h265 videos.

@Vasco
Have you tried my sample?

works here normal (VideoPlayer::OpenFile: smb://192.168.2.248/tst/Star Trek- The Next Generation S05E21 - The Perfect Mate-001.mkv)

Forget about the background, it’s from another video played before.
But chapter have thumbnails and select them does work to.

Where it does not work is like from ISO files, not local and not from remote source.

1 Like

Yes, this extract from Star Trek works perfectly on all platforms.

That sample was also h265.

1 Like

So what could be the cause ? Why chapter thumbnails work on some video files and not others… strange.