CoreELEC 19.5 causes stuttering on almost all videos

I’m not sure I’m posting in the right category, I can move the thread if needed.

I’ve been using CoreELEC 9.2.8 on an S905X box (2GB RAM) for a while, and it worked perfectly fine (with the exception of the VPN manager losing its settings every now and then), until the SD card I’ve been using reached its natural end of life.

I reinstalled CoreELEC, using version 19.5, but I noticed that it’s significantly slower. MP4 videos play almost fine, but all H264 and H265 stutter noticeably. Out of curiosity, I took another card and installed version 9.2.8 on it, and everything runs smoothly.

I tried to tinker with the settings, and I found out that some videos (not all) play fine when the amlogic hardware acceleration is disabled. Other videos play even too fast, the majority is just as slow as before.

Is this a known issue? I’m using Kodi without addons, except for the VPN Manager, so I don’t think that the slowdown could be cause by an addon, but I wouldn’t be able to say what the root cause of the issue could be.

IMO its better to just stay with what works on older boxes. Im using 9.2.8 on 2 x H96 boxes for similar reasons. There is a thread from memory re whats suitable for upgrade and when to stay with 9.2.8.
I also had 19 on an X96 max+ ok but reverted to 9.2.8 to match the others for ease of copying setups and changes.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. My only concern is that some addons, such as VPN Manager, are no longer available for CoreELEC 9.2.8, therefore it could be difficult to reinstall them. I was hoping to find a solution that could improve the performance on the new versions, rather than “staying behind”.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.