CoreELEC 20.0-Nexus Amlogic-ng Discussion

It’s a stable version, it’s the new CoreELEC. Normally we use pre-release so there are no auto-updates which in this case shouldn’t apply.

This means ng won’t probably get CE21. And at this point there’s no clear path for older devices to get ne. But it’s too soon to be definitive about anything.

Edit: as Portisch said ng will get CE21.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. However I’m still confused.

If it’s stable and the new CE why if I click on the downloads button at the top of the page, I’m given the choice of 19.5 stable. CE 20 is under nightlies.

Should not the main offering be CE20?

I always download the new releases directly from GitHub servers. Usually they meet my ISP speed of 250 Mbit/s.

You can download the 20.0 final from here: Releases · CoreELEC/CoreELEC · GitHub

Expand assets and pick your version.

Yes can be confusing
RC2
RC3

Release candidate 2
Release candidate 3

And now is Final Release?

Kodi Nexus 20 Final?

When you follow the link provided you can read it! It becomes EOSD, not EOL.
CE-21 will be with NG as well, yes.

1 Like

Release candidate are like a “test” before real release as with stable only you are not able to cover all bugs and errors.

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_dev_cycle#development_phases

1 Like

Fresh install it the way to go with this one.

I did try to use the tar file but a couple of errors were generated during the attempted upgrade before it abandoning itself and rebooting to how it was before.

I tend to take that older devices just won’t get CE21 for reasons that have been given before, so eventually there will always come a time when it is a case a case of either upgrading to a newer supported build or moving to another platform (like I am doing with the Orange Pi 5).

Some decisions are hard to make but with CE20 only launched now and CE21 in current devices you get years of updated devices. And of course everyone is free to chose their flavour. But newest kernel isn’t always better, in some cases it’s not even a real mainline kernel, just a similar number.

1 Like

That’s kind of where I’m sitting now. I can see the writing on the wall. I’ve gotten 4 years of enjoyment out of my current devices so far. I’m left optimistically scanning the horizon for an Amlogic SBC to replace my N2s as their obsolescence creeps closer.

So far the offerings have been paltry. The VIM4 is tempting but the performance increase is mediocre, at least on paper. I’m likely going to play the waiting game and hope Odroid comes through with something better of their own down the line.

Why was this update not released through automatic updating? Is it not safe to update it over a previous 19.5?

I hope the new generation S5 (S928X) will change this situation a bit.
Sure SC2 (S905X4) and T7 (A311D2) is a “upgrade” including AV1 decoder in hardware.
But for a “I need to upgrade now” the improvement steps are too small (in my opinion).

I hope Amlogic do not loose their “leading” position in media SoCs at all as the other vendor to also step forward…

1 Like

19.5 to 20.0 will never be automatic and it was never before. So update one time manual to 20.0 then it will auto update from 20.0 to 20.1 and so on.

On 20.0 auto update is disabled because we want to have a small number of users without “big” issues so we can safety enable auto update for all other users.

2 Likes

Is the internal dvb s2 working for m8s s905d dvb s2?

I can confirm what Portisch said, new generation has nice devices and room for improvement but devices like N2(+) are still some of the best out there. We’ll see what the immediate future holds for Amlogic devices and I hope it’s bright. One thing is for sure, Amlogic with CoreELEC is still the way to go as a Kodi media center.

2 Likes

There are some gxl_p231_1g_m8s_dvb-s2 devices online so I guess maybe?
Since CE-19 you will need to install DVB crazycat addon from CE repo. It’s not included anymore by default.

1 Like

Okay I have updated my Tanix X4 box to the NExus 20 -ng and now upgraded it to -ne and all seems to be working fine except still there seems to be no drivers for this box’s BT device? At least the WiFi is now fully operational in Nexus certainly since RC2.

I also have a Ugoos X4 Pro which is my excellent main box and I am going to upgrade that to Nexus -ne as my main system moving fully over to Nexus from Matrix. But can you tell me what benefit if any I will have moving to -ne over -ng ? Of course I appreciate that -ne will be where the future development will be concentrated.

Finally two Kodi repo installed addons still do not work in Nexus. That is Google Drive and the Speedtester addons. I have fixed Google Drive myself without bumping the version number up so when they fix it for Nexus it will update automatically, The speed tester addon however has the attribute error problem with the IsAlive command but I have no idea how to fix that one ??

Thanks to all at CoreELEC for the fantastic work in making all this possible and great job on so quickly getting Nexus out as a full release.

sed -i "s|isAlive()|is_alive()|" /storage/.kodi/addons/script.speedtester/resources/lib/addon.py

And this is official Kodi addon which is broken?

Yes it is the official addon from the Kodi repository. Same with the Google Drive addon in Nexus which was the inspect command with getargspec which needs to be changed to getfullargspec. I got this fix from a GitHub discussion group.

So I need to change IsAlive to is_alive just adding the underscore in the script.speedester/resources file? Okay I will search that and manually edit it as I find that easier for me to do, Yep I know I should do it by ssh to my box. Thanks vpeter.

P.S. Have just changed from IsAlive to is_alive using the Notepad++ Find and Replace command. It found 6 cases in the addon.py file. Thank you so much vpeter as this has fixed the Speed Tester addon error. :slight_smile:

While I understand that a clean install is the safest option, it also comes with headaches of setting everything up again. What is the recommended non-clean install route?

I figure even if there are risks, a dirty upgrade attempt is worth while… If it fails or breaks something a clean install would then take place.

Would it be to go in to Updates, change to manual install, then select 20.0?