CoreELEC for Amlogic S912

Hello everyone,

I want to switch to IPTV but I have a few things I run into. The question is will I install the iptv app. On the TV or I will buy an iptv box and set up the app there. When I look around at the iptv boxes… and the spec. From it see Then I think yes they are still inferior to the 4 to 5 year old Android box that I have. The box I have here under the spec. of it.

R-TV BOX Pro S10

• CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2GHz (DVFS)
  • GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz (DVFS)
  • 3D Graphics: OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 and open VG1.1 suport
  • RAM: 3GB DDR4
  • ROM: 32GB eMMC Flash
  • Support USB: 2 x USB host + 1 x USB OTG
  • Support Micro SD Card
  • Support the Latest 10 bit HEVC H.265, VP9 Decoding
  • Support H.265 up to 4Kx2K@60fps Video HDR
  • Support IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-band WiFi 2.4G + 5.6G
  • Support Bluetooth: V4.1
  • HDMI Port: HDMI 2.0

This is still reasonable in relation to the other boxes.

But because Android runs heavier, I am thinking of doing a coreelec install via the micro sd card. (this also does not damage the android that is already in the box) Because then it starts up faster and navigates more smoothly. Now I’m still looking around what the best linux firmware is for iptv to run on. So if you are reading this and possibly have an option for this I would like to hear it. I’m not very familiar with linux yet but want to delve into it. Possibly a USB stick in it for the storage of recording via IPTV.

Had already looked at the corelec firmware or my type of box: R-TV Box Pro S10 is there, could not find it. :roll_eyes:

Best regards, Superted

The S912 devices were never a good choice, due to Amlogic only having licensed the android version of the Mali graphics drivers needed for them. So OS like CoreELEC had to use a Hack to work around this.

Unfortunately this Hack no longer works with the newer kernel that CoreELEC now uses. So support was dropped when the 9.2.x builds went EOL. There just was no interest from other developers or vendors that made/make S912 devices to help recreate the Hack for the newer kernel.

Okay that’s too bad to hear. I once thought I was doing the right thing to buy the newer processor. But if all goes well, I do also have a Minix and an MXq looking at whether I can do something with it?

I think S905 1 gene I think. Can I do something with the S905

S905 Gen1 is also end of life.

The minimum you will need for current versions of CE is S905x3 or S922, avoid S905x4 as its been bypassed and is unlikely to get CE support.

Shoog

CoreELEC Development Cycle

From what I understand for CE all versions of generation 4 should be avoided. In addition to the S905X4, also the S905Y4, S905W4, or any other that has the 4 termination.

None of those brought anything new to the party anyway. A new media format which nobody is using yet is just about all.

Shoog

Yes, you’re right. I believe that for now and for a long time to come, the SoC’s S905X3 and S922 will meet the demands…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.