Coreelec freezes after finishing a video play

Hi there,

I’m having this issue with CE 19.3-Matrix. I’ve just upgraded 2 weeks ago or so, before that I was using CE 9 latest version without issues. I have a pretty basic installation with just a couple of addons and PVR with external DVB system.

I’m now having an issue always when I finish a long video play, when I press the Stop button at the end and when the UI goes back to the previous menu, Kodi just freezes. I can still access through SSH, but I cannot move the cursor and the remote is unresponsive.

This happens to me either when finishing a PVR video stream or video file from Jellyfin addon.
This exact same configuration, in the exact same box wasn’t giving any issue 2 weeks ago with CE 9 latest version. The update was performed as clean installation from scratch.

Here is the log:
ix.io/3F6l

Thank you very much in advance.

This has happened to me since CE 9.2.6. My solution for S912 devices is to install CE 9.2.5. For my S905X3 devices I do not have any solution, I continue with CE 19.3-Matrix and I just hope that Kodi will restart by itself.

Is this complete log file? Because seems something missing at the end.

Device: S905X3 - CE 19.3-Matrix: Today I tried to reproduce this bug, I put a TV channel on for two hours, then I enabled debug logging before stopping playback but everything worked fine. My latest crashlogs are from October 28th and 30th, but I’m sure this bug also happened this month and it doesn’t seem to cause crashlogs. I use this device every day, I will try to record this bug in the future.

Check CPU temperature when it happens next time.

It is. The thing is I can’t follow the official guidelines for log upload because the UI freezes and I can’t go to the settings and press upload.
I understand that the upload button just uploads the current log. Is that right?
Can you tell me which exact logs I need to collect from the system and the verbose logging level that I have to set (currently it is 2 in my advancedsettings for Kodi).

Thank you very much.

I’ve got this box for 2 years now. Temperatures were never an issue, the dissipation is quite good.
As I said this started exactly right after upgrading to CE 19.

Can anyone give me a hand here? At least to indicate me which are the exact logs that I should collect and the debug level.

Thank you.

First test is with fresh install on SD card or USB stick.

Thanks @vpeter I will. But this is already a fresh install. As I said, I installed from scratch like 2-3 weeks ago.
Anyway, I will do a fresh installation on sdcard, I will load the system from there for a while and I will monitor.

Thanks again.

Ah, I missed that. Sorry.
And your posted log on first post is not complete - there is something missing at the end.

Also post kodi.log.

I think I have discovered the bug of freezing Kodi for several minutes by enabling debug before stopping a TV channel, in my case it seems to be a Kodi problem and related to the repository “repository.myshows.me

What I just said is FALSE. After deleting all the unknown repositories, the Kodi freeze for several minutes after stopping the playback of a TV channel continues to occur, both on CE-ng and non-ng devices. Since the last really stable version CE 9.2.5 more than a year has passed, here I see fewer and fewer users and the functioning of CE does not improve. This is a disaster.

That’s why preferred way is to make fresh install with minimal changes. This way it is easily to identify the cause as opposite when bunch of addons are installed.

What I just said is FALSE. After deleting all the unknown repositories, the Kodi freeze for several minutes after stopping the playback of a TV channel continues to occur, both on CE-ng and non-ng devices. Since the last really stable version CE 9.2.5 more than a year has passed, here I see fewer and fewer users and the functioning of CE does not improve. This is a disaster.

Well, I’m sure I’m not the only one saying that you are wrong.
Your problem has something with your setup. And you still didn’t provide full core log and debug log from Kodi to see where the error occur.

The reason you see fewer users here is a sign that things work, not the opposite. There’s no decrease in CoreELEC users. You’re an active member of the community and I think you’re better than this.

Fewer and fewer users means only that everything is working OK for them, as it should :wink:
Number of users you see here are those for whom something is not working and they seek help here. So, revise your conclusion regarding CE improvements…

Hi @vpeter . Just checked again and that crashlog isn’t trimmed, it is exactly as it was saved in Kodi.
It is weird because the error itself doesn’t seem to generate a Kodi crashlog, so maybe this isn’t even the proper one.

Can you take a look to this Kodi log? ix.io/3FVe
Is this an error generated by the addon script.embuary.helper (I think this one is used by the Embuary skin…)?

As written before: try with fresh install without any addons. Then add one by one to see which one fails.

So. I’ve been trying many things and I’ve found out I’m suffering what seems to be two different bugs: the original one that I’ve reported, interface freeze after stopping a video, and another one, which is a suddenly freeze of video playing with a sound loop for 4-5 seconds, and system reboot after that.

For the first one, I’m pretty much sure it is caused by Jellyfin Kodi addon. I’ve substituted that with JellyCon, which is an alternative of library access for Jellyfin. This last one basically reads the web interface instead of adding your librarys as Kodi native. Then with this new addon, the interface doesn’t freeze after stopping a video. I will report this bug to Jellyfin team once I have a proper log.

The second one happens both with Jellyfin and JellyCon. This one also never happened for me on CE 9. For this one I can collect the latest log from CE as it goes back to the inferface after reboot, so I will follow the log uploading guidelines and try to bring one here asap.