CoreElec N2 Stopped Working - Cannot Boot

SD cards are low grade storage and it surprises me not one bit that yours corrupted of it own accord. I have had similar experiences.
You have the better option of using emmc on the N2

Shoog

1 Like

Join thread regarding your WiFi Dongle over HERE

Just to say I have had CE running on the N2 continuously off emmc for about 6 months now with no serious issues.

Shoog

what is enmc??? i have no idea what that is

nothing in that thread of any help

So you can keep the Odroid WiFi Dongle you purchased a secret and we can ignore your issues with your secret purchase.
You can see i asked the other member WHAT VERSION DONGLE HE PURCHASED

I need way of accessing file on N2.
Before system fail and reflash, I was able to connect via ethernet to my mac, and N2 showed in finder where I was able to located kodi files, particularly playlists folder for music.
This is crucial to music functionality for me because I already have xml playlists created in iTunes and with appropriate revision to drive path which I was able to readlily load in Kodi.
Having to recreate music playlists Kodi’s cumberson way compared to iTunes is a deal breaker for me. I just as soon not use Kodi for music if that’s the only alternative.
Formerly N2 mounted as a single drive, but now no longer shows in Mac finder. I was finally able to SMB to N2, but now each folder mounts as a single driver, and only Configfiles folder/drive has any folders/file, but there is no Kodi folder or files there.
Also, in Settings > CoreElec there is no option for backup.
At one time I saw option to backup CoreElec and Kodi, but now I cannot find it again. Where is it located?
I had to change back to default skin from pkscout’s estuary mod skin in order to get CoreElec settings link to appear, but there is still no item for backup like I saw before.
This is just maddening that the software and hardware behaves 1 way at one time and another at another time. I really nearing my rope’s end.

Read this thread from top to bottom. my initial post listed exact model no.

Is this your box?

I think so, just different cover. Here’s mine from Ameridroid -

OK I found backup in System tab of CoreElec settings, but there’s no way to choose a path to an external drive, it only copies to internal Backups folder.
I can smb to N2 folder/drive Backup, and there is a .tar file there but when I click it opens to empty folder name “storage”, so I don’t see how restoring from that is going to succeed.

I don’t know if it will help, but the box from the link provided came originally with CoreELEC Build 18.3 compiled 2019-08-12 - CoreELEC (official): nightly_20190811 (9.1). I don’t have the git number.

I checked the older versions but am unable to find a 9.1.x build. Maybe one of the devs can help locating the build the box came with?

When you select backup, you should be able to browse to external storage.

Just copy and paste it somewhere on your Mac
You can copy it back to the backup folder of the N2
after you do a clean install or whatever you’re trying to do.
What are you opening it for.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/64gb-emmc-module-n2-android/

Shoog

please explain what has to be done with this module.
does it take the place of an sd card?
or does it have to be installed (soldered?) to board?
will my Anker card reader not work with module?
so then do I have to buy another eMMC reader (converter) VERIFIED MicroSD adapter?
i am not thrilled about sinking another $40 or more into this experiment!

I am finding it a bit frustrating that you don’t do a bit of background reading on these things yourself. However here goes, the emmc is usually soldered to the board in most TV boxes and is like a primitive SSD. In the case of the Hardkernel products they sell the emmc’s separately so that you can pull them and swap between OS with minimal fuss. They plug into the various Hardkernel boards and can be programmed with a USB adapter by any standard PC. They are better than an SD because they are more reliable, and they are better than a hard mounted emmc because if things go wrong you simply pull them and start again without having to recover the bootloader of the TVbox.

Another thing to note with upgrading the OS there are only two way that work.
1- start a fresh each time. By far the safest.
2- upgrade incrementally in a controlled and predicable way one version at a time.

What will generally not work is to skip versions such as going from 8.95.0 to 9.2.2, to much changes between none sequential versions and settings upgrades get missed and corrupted resulting in an inconsistent and broken system.

Shoog

1 Like

And they are 2-3 times faster than uSD cards.

The CoreElec N2 came with v. 9.2.1. When I selected auto updates it updated to 9.2.2. When I tried to run Artwork Beef, AB hung up and I had to disconnect power to shut down and reboot. After that, I could not use bottom 2 USB ports with 4gb external hdd which were connected there, bc N2 would not boot, just got caught in loop previously described. To fix that issue, I switched to nightly builds and ended up with the issue that caused me to reflash system, and now I’m back at square one with bottom 2 USB ports no useable with my drives, so I guess I’ll switch to nightly builds, and keep looping back and forth.
When I select backup in CoreElec settings, screen opens with folder icon and and ellipse … (back button). When I click it, a list of folders open that I’ve figured out are in the Home folder.
Not until I then click “back” do the Home folder, Root file system folder, and my external drive appear!
Could it be more confusing?
I select external drive and do get a backup .tar file.
I’m opening it to see what’s there and there’s nothing but a blank folder named “storage”.
Is that normal? Is that a dependable backup, or will I find out when in a pinch - ooops it too doesn’t work?

So am I understanding correctly? -
The eMMC Module Reader Board attaches to the eMMc module so it can be inserted into a sd card reader?
Does it snap on or have to be soldered?
But card reader has to be a ‘converter’ and there’s no way to know if one is except by through trial and error like ones tested in this thread?
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2725
And then is a USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer also required?
For what?
How does Module Writer interface with Reader Board and Module?
I’m happy to read for myself, but instructions need to be clear, concise and comprehensive. I don’t have time to research for days and piece together info from here and there. That’s why I’m posting in this forum.