CPU or GPU overclocking possible?

Thnx mate really appreciate!
Thnx!

I tried the Odroid_C2_u-boot from CoreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-nightly_20190131.tar and the max frequency is still 1536. Reverting back to the uboot from Libreelec allows 1752 again. Iā€™ve been using these commands to write uboot onto the emmc:

dd if=Odroid_C2_u-boot of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=1 count=112 status=none
dd if=Odroid_C2_u-boot of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=512 skip=1 seek=1 status=none

@zaphod24 as I said in my previous message, you will have to wait for the next nightly image.

You also have to add max_freq='1752' to your config.ini.

Apologies, I thought the next nightly was tonight(time zone differences maybe?)

Iā€™ll look at the 2/1 build.

Maybe it is, Iā€™m not sure, itā€™s out of my hands nightlies, but I know that the changes definitely work because one of our developers tested them.

Make sure you have the above line in your config.ini.

It should already be included in 20190131.
Maybe you could try the config.ini change @anon88919003 suggested.

I believe my config.ini is correct, here is /proc/cmdline:

console=ttyS0,115200 BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=UUID=0806-3045 disk=UUID=81edefdb-c665-4570-9129-23d8610c699e no_console_suspend logo=osd1,loaded,0x3f800000,1080p60hz vout=1080p60hz,enable vout_mode=hdmi hdmimode=1080p60hz cvbsmode=nocvbs mac=00:1e:06:33:dd:90 consoleblank=0 max_freq=1752 maxcpus=4 hdmitx=cec3f quiet console=tty0 systemd.show_status=auto ssh

I used the dd commands mentioned earlier with the Odroid_C2_u-boot in nightly CoreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-nightly_20190131.tar. The same dd commands work with an older u-boot from the latest Libreelec beta.

@zaphod24 another user already reported ocing works with latest nightly, link

Yeah, I saw that. Iā€™ll give the nightly a shot tonight, but I was hoping to stay on 8.99.1 and just replace the uboot for now.

Well Iā€™m not sure what the updater does different than what I did manually with dd and the Odroid uboot file from the latest nightly, but sure enough updating to it allows a cpu overclock again.

Sorry for the snipe hunt.

Is the max_freq=1752 config.ini line all thatā€™s needed for CPU OC, and does it work in the latest 9.0.1 stable release?
Sorry for this total noob question, Iā€™m not very knowledgeable in these things.

CPU overclocking only works on the Odroid C2 but yes that is all that is needed.

Thanks for replying. Could tell me if I just add it at the top. The unmodified config is only a set of instructions, on how to modify it, and no actual settings, correct?

Every line starting with ā€œ#ā€ is handled as comment. So all settings are already in, but not active.
In order to activate, you just have to remove the ā€œ#ā€ in front of the according line.

Ah. Yes, now I see. Very user friendly indeed :slightly_smiling_face:
Will the file retain any settings after future updates?

Yes they are

Great. Thanks for your help, guys.

You can mess with the governor settings which offer the potential to increase GUI fluidity. By default the govenors are set to ā€œondemandā€ which offers a quick ramp up of CPU speed when called, but ā€œperformanceā€ means that they always run at the top CPU speed possible.
I have certainly noticed improvements in fluidity with GPU overclocking and all CPU cores set to ā€œperformanceā€, combined with dirtyregions set to 0. However I run my chip with a heatsink and a fan which keeps my SOC temp down to 51 centigrade. If your box has no such cooling messing with the governor or the GPU is likely to be counterproductive because it will result in speed throttling and possible crashing/glitching as your chip overheats.

I would say that most of these boxes would benefit from adding a lazy fan.

Shoog

I recently switched the case for my C2 to one from ameriDroid with the optional 40mm fan and it has made a huge difference in temps. Even running with CPU ocā€™d to 1752, GPU ocā€™d to 792 and dirtyregions=0 it is running at 41c idle with 22c ambient temp. I wish Iā€™d bought the case with fan when I got the C2 2 years ago.

I never found any use for more than stock heat sink on the C2. With GPU OC on, and CPU OC @ 1752 MHz it never reaches more than 55 C.
I did remove a jumper from the board once, after receiving some advice that it could otherwise run too hot.