Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

Whitelisting can be used to avoid the upscaling by Kodi.

If the GUI resolution is 1080p, then anything less than 1080p is upscaled only up to 1080p. It means your display device may then upscale a second time to 4K which is not nice. It would be great if the GUI and actual display resolution could be adjusted independently.

Unfortunately, whitelisting supposedly causes problems with DV playback

I’m sure that’s something the devs will look into sooner or later once the basics are working properly.

I think this has been fixed now.

am6b+. I have the latest 21 nightly running after having tried a couple of 20.5 and 21 builds. Currently running in dual boot but tried running off of the sd card too. Everything works great except the ethernet port is very buggy across builds. it wont even let me run iperf, but ethtool and “ip link show” reports a 1 gigabit link is up. movies freeze and stutter irrespective of bit rate/color space. on wifi i get ~500 mbps per iperf3. Any idea if the ethernet drivers are borked in this kernel? or maybe i just got bad hardware. its onew off of aliexpress

1 Like

It seems there can be some issues with the network card, I have a box that is very finerky with it also

Thread here about it

Running CE20.5 with dovi.ko here, on the Convert DV for compatibility options, I got: Lossless, Profile 8.1 MP, Profile 8.4, Profile 8.1, Minimal EL. Am I missing any option? Which one should I choose? By default I believe it was Profile 8.1, should I keep it? Change it Lossless? Thanks.

Wow that’s 3 people with this issue (including me - I had a box I sent back because of this issue). I wonder if Ugoos had a bad batch…

What kind of photo evidence did you use for the return, if you dont mind me asking?

I used the busy screenshots and explained this was on the official dual boot firmware and I think as my first return on aliexpress it went through within 2 mins and a free return

I ordered my other through ugoos.store

Lossless for Ugoos.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find a way to direct message, so here is the sample file that exhibits the playback failure/buffering:
clip.zip

According to mediainfo:
Movie name : Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark
Encoded date : 2024-04-05 18:27:54 UTC
Writing application : mkvmerge v83.0 (‘Circle Of Friends’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.4.5 + libmatroska v1.7.1

Format level : 5.1
Format tier : High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 8.6, dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU, no metadata compression, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, Version HDR10, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

According to Dolby’s own documentation dated October 2023 (so it’s recent info).

https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s/article/What-is-Dolby-Vision-Profile?language=en_US
Page 9:
Only profiles 4 and 7 have an EL layer. Also for profile 8 the only valid cross compatibility values are 1,2,4. Profile 7 is the only profile with 6. There’s what seems to be an encoding error in this mkv. And we shouldn’t expect coreelec to playback a flawed mkv file with encoding errors.

2 Likes

on page 16 there is explanation for levels.

dovi 8.06 means dovi profile 8 with resolution of 3840*2160 with 24 fps.

which means that there is no any mkvmerge error (or wrong encoding) with mkvmerge.

and i see lots release’s with dovi 8.06.

You’re mixing up Compatibility and Level ID. PurplePlayer is right, your file is muxed in a non-standard profile. see this explanation about levels and compatibility ID
Profile 8 is a single-layer format and cannot have an enhancement layer.

1 Like

Mad max was made at the dawn of hdr and it’s not in DV. Weird science is made in DV and has peaks up to 10000. It makes sense to test on it. But I don’t think it makes sense to leave such bright details above 4000. I will check on it, but most likely it will lead to lower brightness of the rest of the image

Movies usually have L2/L8 trim passes manually crafted by the colorist which might restore any lost details. The patterns with clipping on the ugoos/x800m2 I shared are Level 1 metadata only. L2 Trims in Wierd Science are generated though(not manually crafted). It’s also a bad grade since the mastering display is 1000nits but has pixels well over 4000nits.

Yes, I firgured this was a specific issue with the file, though it was directly rippped from the disc. I wonder why this (invalid) combo trips up CE but not other players?

Probably because no other player cannot handle the EL layer?

I reripped It’s a Wonderful Life and everything works now.