Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

DT DL is not supported due to a Kodi limitation.

I see, although I’m sure, but on s905x2 I had VC1 running on 18 and some 19 versions of CE.
What about 3d MVC. Is it realistic to implement?
I checked, currently CE can output SBS and OU. and hdfury writes that the output is in 3d mode. But mvc does not output, it seems to me because the window output mode is set to fullHD and 1920*2160 options are not allowed as they should be.

Here is the capture, and you can see that the 3d MVC image is rendered as 1920 by 2160. But CE does not have this output option. Maybe that’s not the case of course, but maybe these screens will help to understand.

P.S. I see that CE sees only the main AVC stream, the second MVC does not see. I wonder if it’s still realistic to get it enabled, since S922 definitely supports MVC

3D is dead since a few years for home cinema. New TVs even do not support this option anymore.

My AM6+ is in transit so hopefully I’ll be able to start testing any day.

Just so I don’t have to scroll through pages trying to find it, does anyone have a simple set of instructions in how to get CE20/21 onto it etc?

still a lot of projector owners and old TV’s and 3d is still coming out, new releases are coming out.
I was just approached by such fans of 3d. That if there is a possibility to realize 3d mvc.
So it would be interesting if it would be possible to implement. So that am6b plus can become a universal player :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know that os_mc does not include their code, but it seems that they’re using the native framepacking support because of the line
/sys/module/amvideo/parameters/framepacking_support

inux-amlogic has a parameter called framepacking in linux-amlogic found in video.c and there seems to be lots of code there for doing framepacking. Maybe this can be leveraged for 3D support?

Status is not changed, it get even more down.
Someone can try to get it work and make finally a PR.

Reddit guide is by far the best

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/1ajszn9/remux_lovers_rejoice_the_coreelec_team_has/

Stupid question, but do i need to have android installed on am6+ or can i just migrate coreelec to a single install?

I still have a 3D Panasonic plasma tv and remember when CE devs were trying to build up a CE 3d version. This is the last I have found in my archive:

If this can help, I also would like the Ugoos to support mvc.

2 Likes

You have to supply your own dovi.ko due to an architectural mismatch with whatever vendor supplied module is present on the Android firmware.

Therefore I don’t think the Android firmware is required to keep anymore if you’re running CoreELEC?

Another vote for 3D here. I have over 500 titles. Would be great to have even with AmLogic’s MVC decoder having a bug they know about but won’t fix… affects Vero 4K/4K+ & V. A handful of titles exhibit macroblocking.

In case anyone else wonders, I figured out that the Ugoos build (-ng) still uses arm as the name of the image implies, so I restored the backup from my N2+ and everything seems to be working fine.

I’m not sure that voting will have any effect. Portisch is fairly clear that they have no interest in developing support for 3D. Even as a person who loved 3D, I have to say that the format is fairly dead.

The macroblocking issue also indicates that the Amlogic code for supporting 3D has some serious issues. So even if the CoreELEC team manages to get 3D working, it would then need to spend even more dev time to correct the Amlogic code. It’s too much dev time for too little payoff, especially when there are far more pressing issues such as finalizing DV support, fixing an Amlogic bug that reencodes all non 4:4:4 content to BT.601, and so many more.

That being said, as Portisch mentioned, the CoreELEC team would love to merge a pull request that enables 3D support.

Instead of demanding or voting for whatever feature you want. Perhaps you should contribute to the CoreELEC project to make it happen?

Who’s demanding? Just added my vote. Isn’t this forum dedicated to ‘Development’? If I could code, I’d help. If there’s no interest in 3D with devs, totally get it.

There’s interest but not time. So we ask for help from the community. I think this DV developments show how much each one can contribute to make things better!

6 Likes

Past two nights the dreaded 12-bit RGB DV issue returned. After trying a few things I noticed my receiver lumped HDMI ports 4-6 together with the signal options (that common/popular standard/enhanced you may have seen). My CoreELEC box was connected to HDMI 6 so rewired to make it connected to HDMI 2. Issue went away so far–perhaps the 4-6 ports are special somehow?

It seems the majority of these types of issues that at least I’ve had, seem to be related to HDMI handshake issues, and another common means of getting around them is to use lower numbered HDMI Inputs–all 3 of my TVs (one with receiver, one with HDMI sound bar) have had some iteration of this. You’d think HDMI ports should be all the same in terms of capabilities but I guess not. And trying different HDMI ports may actually be a troubleshooting option to consider…

3 Likes