Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

I’m confused, is always hdr(dv) on be put in coreelec menu as an option or not?

I could be mistaking, but I see very little reason to map HDR10+ to DV, since the TV performs tone mapping on HDR10 content anyway. I would hazard a guess that it’ll probably work better and more correctly than doing it that way.

Not so simple as just add an option in a menu!

Yep they market that to the max, but I think the s922x-j also does something similar:

Here it also mentions VS10 in relation to the s912:

The code certainly points that way as well but would need quite a bit of integration to allow tunning of settings and choosing between if going through the DV Engine or not on a content format level.

I just ordered a Ugoos AM6B+, coming from Intel NUC with NVME SSD.

Can anyone advise whether the Ugoos/CoreElec is faster for UI/Kodi library navigation using an SD card or a USB thumb drive (my media files are all on a NAS so it’s really just accessing local cache files)?

Is there any performance benefit in using larger SD card or USB thumb over smaller (e.g. 256GB vs 32GB)? On Intel larger SSDs outperform smaller by a large factor.

Any recommended specific brands/model numbers?

Thanks.

Runs best doing a dual-boot to the internal flash (eMMc).

3 Likes

Could you tell me how you check that flag in your Panasonic? I have the HZ1000 and cannot find this option for the life of me.

With series LZ and MZ, Panasonic introduced the feature that long press the info button on the remote diplays on the TV screen the extra infos we are talking about.

1 Like

I just flashed my newly arrived AM6B+ using the above linked cemmc command found in coreelec wiki. Works like a charm and is a lot faster and more reliable than running a whole OS from a USB stick or sd-card.

2 Likes

In my experience, none of the microsd cards I own regardless of performance class (and I do have some rather high speed cards, too that I’ve tried) have been anywhere near comparable performance to installing on eMMC. Also remember: eMMC has wear levelling (not to mention fstrim.timer appears to actually be functional against eMMC). The vast majority of SD cards still lack wear leveling of any kind. It’s nice to have the option to try out a test build without modifying your currently deemed stable build. But I wouldn’t suggest external media booting for a long term installation, personally.

Also run the ceemmc tool to convert to dual boot. DO NOT use the dual boot image that ugoos provides. It only gives about 3GB coreelec storage partition size (vs about 25GB).

@xmlcom you won’t get any benefit whatsoever of an always on DV setting. If anything it’s implemented in certain low end boxes as a workaround to some sort of limitation, and frankly seems usually more of a quick and dirty workaround to otherwise implementing proper adaptive HDR capability. You’re not actually doing true conversion to DV from a lesser HDR format, like you’re probably thinking. If anything it’s basically merely passing the BL in DV, instead of just passing a HDR10 signal as is. I’m sure there’s also a placebo effect as it seems DV has received quite the marketing buzz lately (e.g. streaming services having the audacity to only enabling it on their most expensive service tiers).

2 Likes

That’s not entirely true. If we look at Zidoo or Dune’s VS10 and it’s always on DV setting, playing all content SDR/HDR in DV, in many scenes it looks very nice. Better than source material imo, but obviously not as good as native Dolby Vision when comparing,

My understanding is it’s doing an on-the-fly colorspace conversion and gamma conversion from the SDR Rec709(?) into BT.2020 (?). Whatever it is, I think it looks quite nice on the Zidoo. Especially colors on older SD content like Cheers or DS9 that didn’t have the best source quality to begin with.

Dolby Vision VS12 is already out on the newer S928X-J SOC (Tencent Aurora 5X), and I’m hoping will improve the existing shortcomings on brightness.

All the tools that supposedly do conversion to DV correctly seem to require quite a bit of horsepower, if not a reencode altogether. I have a hard time believing any DV engine within an arm based streaming box can do it on the fly just as effectively?

If anything I don’t think the S922X-J boxes would benefit from this…

Trying to install on eMMc but get this:
System is not supported g12b_s922x_ugoos:am6b!
emmc

Use ceemmc -x

Perfect it works now. Thank you for help.

Ah, this makes much more sense. Thank you. It’s a shame this kind of info is not available in the older series, though.

Just moved over to eMMC myself. That is astonishing how much faster eMMC is. Awesome tip, thank you!

Thats interesting I would extrapolate from that - that what we have in the Ugoos is VS10 and it is just marketing from Zidoo to put that front and center- also got me wondering how much is controlled via the software in the dovi.ko, it looks like all the major chip vendors supported around 2016 in their graphics processing / 2D engines.

Moving towards tying this out - have some good idea now how to try this quickly just to gauge what it’s like - will start up a separate topic if/when for that for those with an interest to follow.

4 Likes

Exactly this. I think what we have is actually VS10 - it only makes sense because the next SOC from the 922X-J is VS12. And performance wise I think the S922 is more powerful than the RTD1619DR which powered Zidoo’s VS10 devices.

I think it’s almost entirely controlled within dovi.ko as you say because it works on both the Realtek and Amlogic SOCs, makes sense it’s in the dovi.ko module. Hopefully it is not too many parameters to pass in.

If the Am6b+ is also capable of VS10, wow, that would be fun.

What I read from chinese forum, this VS12 much more like Tencent self created term, which VS10 is the only official one which we can find from dolby. just like HDR10, there’s no hdr12 :grinning: