Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

I use Harmony hub/remote to control the sequence and switching and it’s working okay-ish so far.
As far as I can see there is no specific settings to switch to appropeate input on other linked device, apart from switch on/off the devices. I like to discuss this in a bit details as well.
I think, it’s secific to CE/Kodi, rather any chipset.

Mine somehow still wakes up when I switch to HDMI. CEC disconnects when in suspend on mine too.

Ugoos encrypted the bootloader and we can’t use inject_bl301 tool to fix our issues.

This is my experience as well, but that means I need to reach for my Receiver’s remote… or I guess I could workaround this by plugging the AM6+ directly into my eARC TV.

Do you think we could talk with Ugoos and ask them to allow us to decrypt the bootloader and/or for them to create a firmware with bl301 already baked?

Well I asked last week but received no answer.

You can ask @quietvoid what it does and doesn’t do exactly.
As far as I am aware, it’s supposed to preserve the RPU, that’s the whole point.

By the cable. You must completely reflash device with downloaded file.

1 Like

Not a menu option - but there is now a sys module parameter you can change - in the latest nightly.

If you want to have the ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020 non-constant flag sent to the TV for dovi tv-led:

echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_bt2020

To revert back use the below - this is the default and will reset to this at each reboot.

echo N > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_bt2020

This flag works on the fly so you can switch backwards and forwards whilst watching to gauge the effect.

cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

Can be used to confirm the change.

The parameter is there for people to try, on my LG E8, I found there was a difference between setting or not setting this flag.

When not setting we get BT.709 set instead, the difference is quite subtle - but so far I prefer with BT.2020.

For it making a difference - it is likely down to the TV side Dolby Engine setup and possibly TV model specific.

Yes I know it’s IPT tunnelled in RGB 8bit, but something is going on with my LG E8 - so it is here to try.

I also made a test build which set the colorimetry flag bits to 0 - i.e. none - this resulted in Kodi proclaiming the flag as neither “BT.709” or “BT.2020” but instead “Default”, my E8 has no diagnostics to show what it is receiving.

From reading up on the HDMI Info-Frame standards if no flag is set - Defaults are laid out and meant to kick in, those are worked out from the active resolution and for UHD that would again be BT.709 - and that’s what it looked like to me.

Some light reading for the curious!:

3 Likes

I assume you are talking about the CE 20.5 Nexus nightly from 2024-03-29?

Since the CE 21 nightly is still stuck at 2024-03-27…

Can’t see any difference on 20.5 with my Philips 808.
This tv always says colour space is RGB when the pixel format is RGB so I don’t know what’s going on from the tv side.

Wanted to ask, if you get 8 bit with your Philips tv with DV content. And if player led works fine for you, cause it triggers 10 bit and breaks the colors for me.

Yeah, I get 8 bit and tv led works great. Coreelec UI is set to 1080p and res change is set to on start/stop.

Thanks for checking, it is very subtle for me I mainly see the diff in highlights on peoples faces or other lights in general like car lights and some very colourful scenes in the brighter spectrum - though extremely possible your TV just doing the right thing anyway regardless the Colourimetry being set.

And can more easily see the change with S & M tests for bt.2020.

So my Ugoos AM6B Plus arrived yesterday and I’m playing around with it.

Can confirm that the current Omega 21 nightly (20240327) does not play any DV FEL MKVs.

Nexus 20.5 nightly 20240329 seems to work a lot better at least with the titles I tried sofar.

I managed to install the Ugoos 0.5.4 dual boot firmware and upgraded the included CoreELEC to the 20.5 nightly without problems.

I also managed to create an SD card with the Omega 21 nightly and boot from it, so I can switch between both versions for testing purposes.

One question though: if I reboot from the Omega 21, it will boot me to the Nexus 20.5 that is installed on the eMMC. I found out that if I use SSH and run “reboot update” from the Omega 21, it will boot back into Omega. Is there an easier way to do this? By modifying the Power Menu maybe?

Did some tests on my Panasonic LZ1500. Differences are subtle but BT709 flag gives the skin tone more natural colour. BT2020 seems a little pale an monotonal.

cool, so three different TV and three different results - albeit from subjective tests, so one size does not fit all and may help explain why some blu-ray players set and others did not.

Do you think it’s possible to turn this into a menu item since the result varies from TV to TV? It would make it much easier for users to decide.

@ragico @cpm

Which scenes and movies do you see the differences in?

Which build are you running?
I ve just installed latest 20.5 nightly and was playing around with settings. Player process OSD only displays unknown for bit depth, etc. I used dispinfo and found a tool on TV itself to check device info. With bit depth on auto and TV-led I get 12 bit for everything, DV, HDR10+, HDR10 and SDR. For DV content its 12 bit + rgb full, idk I tried forcing it to 8 bit like it is supposed to be, can’t say that I notice the difference in picture (was mainly checking Parasite 2019, which is a FEL title). Player-led triggers 10 bit and broken colors, forcing to 12 bit fixes colors, but didn’t bother to play with it as much.

One you may have, just to see if there is a diff in something more static is The Batman - the opening Titles in red: WB, The Batman etc.

The bt.709 is a bit brighter (a shade more towards orange in presentation),
The bt.2020 is darker in comparison for me.

FYI, need to let it play as will not change when paused, but can do from a ssh session quickly flipping between the Y and N.

1 Like

I will try later on my Sony Tv’s