Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

I and some other users have had the opposite experience and posted above. For me, 4K/23.976 GUI works on vast majority of films. For sure there is a GUI/user setting dependency - I think it’s auto cd/cs issue. Especially as some users report the 2nd play all of a sudden works. On 2nd tries, I believe the GUI/refresh rate hasn’t changed back yet, so no auto cd/cs, and it works:

1 Like

my GUI is also set to 4K/23.976 and everything is working like a charm on 20.5.

No problems with GUI @4K60.

Same here. Gui @4k23.98

Fwiw I think whoever hypothesized that the issues in 21 are cache related is correct.

Playing around with cache settings and 1917 on 21-0331 nightly. I couldn’t find a combo that made it better, but I did find combos that made much much worse. Specifically once the “Read Factor” is set high 10x, 20x. Performance completely drops. Lots of issues, screen blanking every second, DV/HDR logos flashing on /off (probably auto cd/cs related)

When set to Adaptive or the default 4x, performance is better, but still cannot play 1917 cleanly. At least no screen blanking every half second though.

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Kodi’s recommendation is “Example 4” above with a 20x read factor, which as mentioned above, completely destroyed playback.

1 Like

Long thread so sorry if this has been reported allready

My problem with pink/purple picture on sdr and hdr files AFTER i first play a dv file goes away if i disable CoreELEC setting tonemap SDR to HDR and reboot. No more pink/purple picture on any file.

With the the setting on i can see that HDR files plays as SDR BT.709 if i play a dv file before.

So a dv playback messes sdr/hdr up if CoreELEC setting tonemap SDR to HDR is enabled.
Im using player led with Ugoos

Do you guys think in the future we can have option to output and map everything to LLDV ?

20.5-Nexus_nightly_20240329
On Ugoos AM6B Plus with CoreELEC Dolby Vision playback is not good!
In TV-Led mode the PlexMod sends a 12bit signal to the TV!
CoreELEC displays Dolby Vision fine. PlexMod does not.
In CoreELEC you have to change “Force display colour depth” from Auto to 8bit to get a proper output signal!

The output from an SMB source is perfect!
Only PlexMod will be bad!

SMB playback:

PlexMod playback:

Yeah, we already figured that out in this thread, just use PlexKodiConnect.

Is PKC better than Plexmod? would please send me the PKC that support Coreelec 20.5?

Should be self explanatory, PKC has very good documentation. Just pick Nexus.

I run both PKC and PlexMod. Highly recommend giving PKC it’s own SD card. It’s very tightly bound with Kodi and will modify the database. It’s also difficult to uninstall and even with following the uninstall directions closely, I wasn’t able to uninstall it cleanly without impacting other add-ons.

That said, in terms of playback, the only difference is PlexMod passes the web stream URLs from the Plex server onto the internal player. That’s it. PlexMod doesn’t have anything to do with setting color bits, or DV playback, nothing. It has no capability to do anything like that. All it does it pass the URL on for the internal player and logic to handle. If there is a playback difference, it’s within CoreElec and how SMB vs webstream content is handled.

That said, there is a buffer/cache setting difference between webstream content and SMB playback. By default kodi will buffer webstream content, but won’t do so on local playback. This setting is a Kodi setting:

Buffer Mode - This setting will force Kodi to use a cache for all video files, including local network, internet, and even the local hard drive. Default value is 0 and will only cache videos that use internet file paths/sources.

1 Like

wow, nice clarify, how to get the PKC?

Google is your friend

Thank you! :sweat_smile:

Well in theory it shouldn’t affect DV playback, but there are at least 3 or 4 people in this thread already, who get 12 bit via PM4K and proper 8 bit with PKC or smb. I doubt, that it’s a coincidence.

You might be onto something here. I don’t know if it translates to playing video, but in this post using captures of a RGB png from coreelec I have found non-negligible errors in RGB output. The output being impacted by the kodi GUI seems like a good theory.

I had the same problem, the solution was to disable the “Disable GUI Scaling” option in settings.

With Player-Led setup, PKC is good, but PlexMod is problematic.
Neither TV-Led nor Player-Led settings are good.
PKC:

PlexMod:

There is no “in theory” here. I understand there are differences, but simply pointing the finger at PlexMod is unhelpful.

All PlexMod does is pass on the webstream URL to the internal player as repeated over and over. If there are differences in playback, that’s an underlying CE issue between how SMB and webstream’s are being handled.

Blaming the add-on for color bit selection when there isn’t a shred of code in PlexMod that’s related is inaccurate. And why would there be code? All it’s doing taking the item selected for playback, grabbing the URL from the plex server, and handing it off to the internal player. That’s it.

Look to the internal player if you want to troubleshoot and start posting debug logs. Maybe it’s a timing issue, a difference between smb/webstream handling who knows? I’ve already shown that buffering is handled differently between the two.

Also, CoreElec isn’t the only OS that PlexMod runs on. This isn’t an issue with the DV or HDR content on Shield Pro, Zidoo, LibreElec, etc… That alone should be an indicator that the issue is within CE, and has nothing to do with PlexMod.

Are we still doing this? Multiple people have asked you to post debug logs. But posting the same screenshots over and over on 2x different forums is unhelpful.

Again, all PlexMod does is passes the webstream URL to the internal player. It has nothing to do with LLDV, color bit handling… Period!

If there are differences, turn on debugging and start looking at the logs in CE. If you’re too lazy to do that, fine. But posting screenshots isn’t helpful. Yes, there is a difference. No it has nothing to do with PlexMod but likely in how smb/webstreams are treated by the internal player.

log-2024-04-02-16.30.11.zip (725.9 KB)

Here’s the full one. I hope you can see why this is.