Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

I had a q800t and now have q990c. Same as yours, and i assumed it was normal. Now I’m on my second tv too. Went from Sony to Philips.

And, I should add that I tried the same stuff as you.

Does setting the “Delay after change of refresh rate” to a few seconds help at all so you don’t have to rewind?

It will not. For MEL detection it’s need to decode and parse some frames/metadata to see if it’s FEL or MEL. These frames are lost.

Is there anyone that can test the hybrid DV remux of Ghost in the Shell (1995)? This version should be very easy to find, but I can also share it via my Plex.

I absolutely can’t get it to play correctly, even though it works on all other devices. The DV is native, the only thing “hybrid” about this file is the audio tracks brought in from a different disk.

That’s why I’m surprised to have so much trouble playing this on CE. This is the video stream info:

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 22 min
Bit rate : 83.3 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.419
Stream size : 48.1 GiB (88%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 400 cd/m2
Original source medium : Blu-ray

Is there anything glaringly wrong here?

I can test it eventually but still waiting for my AM6B+… Hopefully it arrives this week.

I have this version:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 7.6, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, Version HDR10, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 22 min
Bit rate : 74.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.374
Time code of first frame : 00:59:59:00
Stream size : 43.0 GiB (88%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 1000 cd/m2

It plays perfectly on my Ugoos AM6b+
CE is 20.4-Nexus (February 19th, 2024) installed on a dualboot 0.54 original Ugoos firmware.
DV compatibility : Lossless.
Audio Dolby Atmos HD in passtrough.

Just tried that proper hybrid release, it’s MEL and now we know why these are not working thanks to @cpm.

They found out that increasing the “dolby_vision_wait_delay” fixes this issue and I can confirm that I was able to watch it fine after this. Before, the movie would freeze right after the intro text and when Major threw a grenade at that tank.

Here is some info about this release via dovi scripts:

Summary:
  Frames: 561
  Profile: 7 (MEL)
  DM version: 1 (CM v2.9)
  Scene/shot count: 2
  RPU mastering display: 0.0001/1000 nits
  RPU content light level (L1): MaxCLL: 711.45 nits, MaxFALL: 38.56 nits
  L6 metadata: Mastering display: 0.0001/1000 nits. MaxCLL: 0 nits, MaxFALL: 0 nits
  L2 trims: 100 nits
  L5 Left offset: 0
  L5 Right offset: 0
  L5 Top offset: 42
  L5 Bottom offset: 42
  HDR10 BL MDL: min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
  HDR10 BL MDP: BT.2020
  Resolution: 3840 x 2160
  FrameRate: 23.976fps

I set that wait delay to 16 and it was still giving me issues.

Does it reset upon device reboot?

Yeah, it’s not permanent.

Hence your startup script post… Sorry everyone.

EDIT: How would I do that btw? I have CE connected via SMB.

Is the below line correct?

/sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay=16

if you use tv-led,try manual change the color 8 bit, RGB, or player-led, 12bit 444

Just tried to install 21 omega beta3 (ng-dv), no fel support yet.
Then tied to install nightly 21 ng, not compatible.
So reinstall 20.4

1 Like

Couldn’t make it work at reboot with crontab and didn’t look into it further.

I used “echo 16 > /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay” in ssh.

Just tried, fel works but it’s not stable. It either freezes couple seconds later, or after seeking.

Hey all,

Something else for everyone to try:

I found out you can change the amlogic decoder dolby parameters on the fly whist watching a film - which is very interesting, and have been digging into some of the values we can change - looking at the android 9 source code for the driver.

Would be great if you can try the following (you will need the CoreELEC settings on Display Led (i.e.) do not enable Use Player Led)

Use nano to edit the dolby vision flags file:

CoreELEC: # nano /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_flags

You should see the value as 5 in the file, load up a film and try changing the value to 2 use (Ctrl-O) to tee-up the change then press return to write the change to the file whilst watching, and go back and forth a few times on some films and scenes and let me know what you think!

Try and go with your instinct on which you think is better (if you see a difference) rather than over analysing - will be interesting to see what everyone thinks - worse, the same or better.

I will go though what I think this maybe doing after I get some feedback - trying not to bias anything up front, and checking I am not “seeing things” that are not there myself!

Thanks.

1 Like

Didn’t notice any difference in the picture.

I’m referencing this thread to create the startup script:

I made the autostart.sh file, placed it into that location. I don’t know scripting at all, so I asked ChatGPT for some coding advice, and I cleaned up what it suggested into the below autostart.sh file:

if [ -f /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay ]; then
    # Set the parameter to 16
    echo 16 > /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay
    echo "Parameter set to 16."
else
    echo "File not found: /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay"
fi

It doesn’t seem to work though. I tried echo “16” as well as echo 16 because I didn’t know if datatype would affect it.

Is it a problem with my code?

EDIT: I used @Kaan’s version above and it worked!

Simply:
echo 16 > /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/dolby_vision_wait_delay

I think it’s because the parameter isn’t a “file” so that above if statement fails. Not sure, but this seems to work so very happy.

EDIT 2: Changed the wait delay to 20 as the Ghost in the Shell MEL hybrid was still giving me issues when the delay is set to 16.

1 Like

I have the US release on physical disc, steelbook purchased retail (iirc I ordered from Best Buy US directly), so it’s a known copy.

Duration 1h22m
Video bitrate 74.4Mbps
Stream size 43.0GB

The remux I made from disc matches ragico, so your version seems different somehow. Mine also has both English and Japanese Atmos tracks.

Oh and my version comes up as FEL DV, not MEL.

The release mentioned has german release video which apparently higher quality, so that’s why it’s MEL.

Won’t beat this horse to death and we can go back on topic, but the GER UHD has better picture:

Look to pic 7 or 8 and compare the face/eyes against ITA/JPN UHD. Less compression on the GER version. The USA UHD is comparable to JPN, maybe slightly worse, but not as good as GER.