Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

@Astrotrain
We should see a diff in the values being sent to the TV, I recall this from @DMDReview

Maybe this is more likely cause of the slight difference if the Sony does the same?

From all accounts it sounds like a likely imperceptible real-world difference, but would be nice to know.

1 Like

Another explanation could be that in some rare conditions, the X800m2/x700 and probably the oppo are ignoring the RPU while the Shield, ATV, ugoos and my C2 internal app always process the RPU regardless of the content actual brightness. IIRC this test file RPU is 100% ignored by my x800m2 but not on my cmv4.0 devices.

1 Like

This would track with what @DMDreview found in his testing where the Oppo does not sent CMv4.0 RPU data while the AM6B+ does.

Maybe, but I’m struggling to see how rendering the GUI at 4K would utterly break DV playback. It sees that the two have to be connected somehow, but how and why is a mystery.

No, the file is cmv2.9.

I’m trying to find my detailed post on makemkv that explains this but in a few words, when for example the image is 4000nits and the RPU metadata is set to 100nits, the x800m2/x700 ignores the RPU and always tone map to the target display while the Shield/ATV/C2 all respect the RPU and allow clipping like HDR10 would.

Oh wow, so this is actually better than the x800m2/x700. Thanks for all your reassurances and amazing testing!

1 Like

I and some other users have had the opposite experience and posted above. For me, 4K/23.976 GUI works on vast majority of films. For sure there is a GUI/user setting dependency - I think it’s auto cd/cs issue. Especially as some users report the 2nd play all of a sudden works. On 2nd tries, I believe the GUI/refresh rate hasn’t changed back yet, so no auto cd/cs, and it works:

1 Like

my GUI is also set to 4K/23.976 and everything is working like a charm on 20.5.

No problems with GUI @4K60.

Same here. Gui @4k23.98

Fwiw I think whoever hypothesized that the issues in 21 are cache related is correct.

Playing around with cache settings and 1917 on 21-0331 nightly. I couldn’t find a combo that made it better, but I did find combos that made much much worse. Specifically once the “Read Factor” is set high 10x, 20x. Performance completely drops. Lots of issues, screen blanking every second, DV/HDR logos flashing on /off (probably auto cd/cs related)

When set to Adaptive or the default 4x, performance is better, but still cannot play 1917 cleanly. At least no screen blanking every half second though.

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Kodi’s recommendation is “Example 4” above with a 20x read factor, which as mentioned above, completely destroyed playback.

1 Like

Long thread so sorry if this has been reported allready

My problem with pink/purple picture on sdr and hdr files AFTER i first play a dv file goes away if i disable CoreELEC setting tonemap SDR to HDR and reboot. No more pink/purple picture on any file.

With the the setting on i can see that HDR files plays as SDR BT.709 if i play a dv file before.

So a dv playback messes sdr/hdr up if CoreELEC setting tonemap SDR to HDR is enabled.
Im using player led with Ugoos

Do you guys think in the future we can have option to output and map everything to LLDV ?

20.5-Nexus_nightly_20240329
On Ugoos AM6B Plus with CoreELEC Dolby Vision playback is not good!
In TV-Led mode the PlexMod sends a 12bit signal to the TV!
CoreELEC displays Dolby Vision fine. PlexMod does not.
In CoreELEC you have to change “Force display colour depth” from Auto to 8bit to get a proper output signal!

The output from an SMB source is perfect!
Only PlexMod will be bad!

SMB playback:

PlexMod playback:

Yeah, we already figured that out in this thread, just use PlexKodiConnect.

Is PKC better than Plexmod? would please send me the PKC that support Coreelec 20.5?

Should be self explanatory, PKC has very good documentation. Just pick Nexus.

I run both PKC and PlexMod. Highly recommend giving PKC it’s own SD card. It’s very tightly bound with Kodi and will modify the database. It’s also difficult to uninstall and even with following the uninstall directions closely, I wasn’t able to uninstall it cleanly without impacting other add-ons.

That said, in terms of playback, the only difference is PlexMod passes the web stream URLs from the Plex server onto the internal player. That’s it. PlexMod doesn’t have anything to do with setting color bits, or DV playback, nothing. It has no capability to do anything like that. All it does it pass the URL on for the internal player and logic to handle. If there is a playback difference, it’s within CoreElec and how SMB vs webstream content is handled.

That said, there is a buffer/cache setting difference between webstream content and SMB playback. By default kodi will buffer webstream content, but won’t do so on local playback. This setting is a Kodi setting:

Buffer Mode - This setting will force Kodi to use a cache for all video files, including local network, internet, and even the local hard drive. Default value is 0 and will only cache videos that use internet file paths/sources.

1 Like

wow, nice clarify, how to get the PKC?

Google is your friend

Thank you! :sweat_smile:

Well in theory it shouldn’t affect DV playback, but there are at least 3 or 4 people in this thread already, who get 12 bit via PM4K and proper 8 bit with PKC or smb. I doubt, that it’s a coincidence.