Dolby Vision Implementation Discussion

Yes, this is true, but the Amlogic TV-Led mode is not a true TV-Led mode. The player processes the signal as if it were sending out an LLDV, so in TV-Led mode you get a fake (static) RPU with an LLDV signal.

I noticed that on my Philips 808 oled, dolby bright mode wasn’t much brighter and then I compared 2 movies (Barbie and Rebel Moon) between coreelec and Kodi from the TV. When I opened those movies on the TV the image was much brighter than coreelec, I tried to compare it multiple times on the same scenes and there is definitely a big difference. Huge difference between dolby bright and filmmaker on the TV.

Image settings were exactly the same, so this had me thinking if this is the tv-led, player-led difference and how tv-led is fake on these boxes? (brightness didn’t change between these settings on coreelec.)

I got the box as passthrough didn’t work from the TV but movies look brighter on the TV. I’m really bummed.

So with the Amlogic chipset devices, Player LED should always be enabled? I’ve checked the output debug info with both settings on my system, and there are no differences. Never compared the output itself as it’s not that easy.

Yes, use Player-Led, until Amlogic fixes it.

1 Like

hope not too long

Hmm…
RESET_9999 under he’s youtube video suggest to better use " fake" tv-led mode insread of player led.
…the truth is out there…
Personally I don’t see (much) difference in my tvs.
CoreElec use default the tv-led mode too, I will stay on that.

1 Like

emmm,I thought I saw him not suggest use dv at all in the makemkv forum….

Just a note that the TV-led is malfunctioning. Use what works for you. In reality, you see no particular problems. On CoreELEC works slightly better than on Android, so feel free to use that, but if you’re bothered by the knowledge that the TV-led is fake than use Player-led.

1 Like

Is there communication with amlogic on fixing this or is it a lost cause and basically these devices will never offer true TV-led DV?

It’s not just Amlogic, Realtek is similar, they know about it, I don’t think it will be fixed on these SoCs. Maybe on newer ones, but it’s doubtful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.