Dolby Vision Implementation Discussion

how did you known its fake?

HDMI capture. You can see how the image output on RGB changes according to the RPU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9SOMlX0AI

Amlogic/Realtek processes the RPU even though you select TV-led DV.
So TV-led DV is bad choice for those devices. The RPU will be processed twice resulting incorrect brightness and colors.

Is this to do with the YouTube video posted on the Homatics Box R 4K Plus thread, your opinion or from elsewhere??

I’ve been hoping Mark would answer my question to him regarding the statement he made above directed towards the Ugoos box and all Amlogic processors. As he hasn’t replied I’m going to presume he posted his comment because of the Fake TV-LED players video and other comments that were posted recently on the Homatics Box R 4K Plus thread. (If that isn’t the case and he has done his own research and testing into this then he should let us know)
There is a list of the players that were used in that YouTube DV test and the FEL capable Amlogic S922XJ SoC Ugoos AM6B+ and the Minix U22X-J (Max) ARE NOT ON THAT LIST and were NOT TESTED. I think there is only one player with an Amlogic processor on that list (Homatics Box R 4K Plus) so it is kind of unfair to imply all Amlogic processors/SoC’s are the same.
I’ve always been very impressed with Profile 7 FEL BL+EL+RPU ,P8 and P5 DV picture quality with my Ugoos Am6b+, TV-led mode to a LG OLED. But members with different TV’s and different Amlogic SoC like the S905X4 tested in that video may want to see if Player-led is better.

I’ve tested the Minix U22-XJ, same fake TV-Led mode.

Thanks for the reply.
It would be useful to know how you fake rpu guys are testing this, also you could describe the results and differences that you observed.
Also what differences do you see switching between Player-LED and TV-LED.

I’d have to find some mp4 DV files to test and compare on my LG OLED and AM6 as I think the LG doesn’t like mkv DV.

HDFury Integral 2 + DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K + LG CX/C2 EDID
We can capture the raw DV 8 bit RGB signal, the Amlogic, Realtek and Mediatek (on Fire TV) both send the player-processed (Player-Led) image, with fake RPU data in TV-Led mode. DMDreview has also analysed that this does not necessarily mean 2x processing, because the relevant RPU data is static, but since this is not standard DV, we don’t know how different displays react to this.

1 Like

that’s means neither android nor CoreELEC both fake tv-led right?

Both do fake TV-Led.

thx,feeling about the use player-led setting not useful enough

so we should use the player led option instead? Any downsides quality wise?

Yes, unfortunately the LLDV mode is usually of lower quality, but there is nothing else we can do.
Stacey Spears (who making Spears & Munsil test discs) has already reported the issue to Dolby: Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Spears & Munsil 4K UHD HDR Benchmark (Test Discs) May 15, 2023

Do you know if Android TV’s play it properly? There is no way to check from Kodi as far as I can tell.

Lower quality how? It seems brightness might be affected greatly depending on the TV.

It doesn’t matter if it’s Android or CoreELEC, the Dolby implementation is broken.
The tone mapping will not be accurate, e.g. if the EDID min target is not 0 nits, LLDV has raised black.

1 Like

@djnice I meant playing directly from the TV via built-in apps.

Got this answer from a Youtuber that also does a lot of tests with DV.

Edit: Can’t directly link to the answer it seems.

“It’s probably better to use the pseudo/fake tv-led mode. The player always process the RPU but it use the TV internal config data while in player-led it use the TV edid.”

Thanks, let’s follow what RESET wrote.

DV already fragmented and faulty implementations makes it worse.

1 Like

I think someone should make a “Fake TV-LED” thread to discuss this.

If it is fake it looks like a perfect forgery on my setup.

Please move the discussion about Amlogic’s method of implementation of DV to this thread. This is a a topic that should be discussed separately from the devices topic. All the devices are amlogic and all use the same method. As a side note, this is, as said, Amlogic’s implementation. No one is misguiding anyone in here.

1 Like