Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+

I’m amazed by the SDR8/SDR10/HDR10 → DV mapping done by the VS10 engine. I honestly did not think it would be so great. It seems to compensate for inherant drawbacks of projectors (compared to OLED screens)

1. Configure in player-led HDR mode thanks to the cpm VSVDB build (so it even works on non-DV projectors) → EDID Override - Injecting a Dolby VSVDB Block - #94 by cpm
  2. color is a little bit more saturated than in pure SDR but it still ok, so you need to do a fine HDR calibration to avoid too much saturation.
  3. If min and max lum are well configured through EDID / VSVDB injection (check the VSVDB thread for excel EDID generator), you can then look for the projector max contrast value that still keeps details in brights spots. In my case I have set a fixed number and I don’t have to touch it anymore (set and forget → it was not the case with pure HDR10 signal).
  4. HDR10 challenging material with crushed brightlights are now completely well managed and profit from the VSVDB induced fine tuning (especially on projectors I guess). Though I might be biased by my projector’s HDR10 tone-mapping which I think was pretty bad.
  5. With SDR->DV conversion, perceived contrast is improved on projectors : In other words, there are less cases in low light scenes where blacks seems grey. I don’t know how they did it but it’s near magic :wink: I think it’s mostly due to highlights beeing brighter in SDR->DV conversion.

It might even be superior to embedded DTM in JVC projectors. I would be interested to know the result of such a comparison.

2 Likes