Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+

Read the first post; it clearly states for which build it is made for. If you are willing to try it on 22.0 nightly, go for it, and report back your experience.

FYI, latest build is here:

which one is the latest T3 or T2?

Sorry updated link, should be T3

no issue, we hope to see T4 soon @cpm

T4 update:

Can I ā€œupdateā€ to this from the 20240804 nightly, or do I need to do a fresh install of the 20240803 nightly before updating to this? If I have to reinstall, will my settings and addons have to be reconfigured?

As long as you are on the amlogic-ng ce-21 generic version then you can just update which will revert your installation back to 20240803 but with all of cpmā€™s features and fixes. Do a full backup of you current configuration before you install cpmā€™s version so you can restore if necessary based on any errors (see instructions below).
https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:backup

1 Like

If you are using cpmā€™s version with all correct settings and are still having screen color problems after playing certain movies then there is a new cpm updated version T4A that resolves this problem (see link below). If you are not experiencing this problem then you can stay with cpm version T4 and there is no need to update.

1 Like

Hope this isnā€™t a controversial questionā€¦ when will we see VS10 in the nighties?

2 Likes

This feature is still under development. Due to a bug in the VS10 engine, HDR10+ cannot be converted to Dolby Vision. So CPM is trying to create a custom converter for HDR10+ that does not lose as much quality as Dovi tools does.

1 Like

do you know what exactly the quality loss in dovitools conversion method is?
I have converted a couple of titles and it seemed ok to me, picture and generated-plot-wiseā€¦

I think the bug is not on HDR10+ but HLG HDR and as far as I know cpm has not stated that he is working on fixing the HLG HDR bug. For HDR10+ the VS10 engine uses the base HDR10 data only (not sure if that is the bug your are mentioning), so cpm is creating a version that will use the dtm from HDR10+ to convert to dtm for DV.

Good to know, thanks guys.

i get red colors all over with the vs10 options but on z9x with vs10 on, I can run it successfully. What does the red colors mean?

Is there a build with VS10 engine and the latest nightly from 21.1 that supports DTDL? Thatā€™d be the ultimate build to flash.

Btw thank you all the members who have worked on TV led and VS10. You convinced me to buy an AM6b+

Latest cpmā€™s version that includes ā€œDynamic conversion of HDR10+ SEI to DV P8 NALā€ and the latest general CE updates:

If I understand correctly, the use of VS10 in ugoos AM6+, currently due to a bug , does not allow a conversion similar to HDFury devices (LLDV to HDR with Dynamic Tone Mapping by changing the EDID and forcing HDR mode on Samsung TV)? I am interested in the cheapest option to force DV in my Samsung TV.

No, that is not the case. Not sure where you read this, CE cpms version T6 with the Ugoos AM6B+ is the cheapest way to get DV in a Samsung since it has the HDFury functionality. I am assuming that the confusion could be that you read about the AMLogic bug on the VS10 engine when converting ā€œHLG HDRā€ to ā€œDolby Visionā€ but this has nothing to do with your question.

3 Likes

I have noticed a bug with the VS10 conversion from HDR ā†’ DV using this as an example:

I am using this content as a test, it is unusual because it is HDR @ 59.94fps

When GUI resolution / refresh rate does not match this content, eg 1080p @120hz. Everything plays fine with DV

When I set GUI resolution / refresh rate to match content, it plays with only audio. It flashes the DV logo on my LG G2, but just a black screen with no OSD either. Need to press back repeatedly on my TV remote to bring me to home menu again.

The other thing that is weird is I was not intentionally testing for this bug. Somehow my system GUI res / refresh rate got updated to match the content res / refresh rate when I experienced a crash. That feels like a slight overstep. It feels that play HDR ā†’ DV contentā€¦ then play SDR contentā€¦ then resume on HDR ā†’ DV conversion can be unstable in certain occasions. I forced the crash by jumping between resuming HDR->DV conversion, and resuming SDR->SDR with VS10.

Full disclosure Iā€™m using the T4A version. Is it possible to update to latest version from T4A, or do I have to start with a clean 21.1.1 install?

1 Like