Dynamic conversion of HDR10+ SEI to DV P8 NAL

Tried this build - I’m on Ugoos AM6B + and LG OLED G4. All DV media was heavily pixelated either pink or blue. Tried various DV options but didn’t seem to make any difference. Didn’t see the DV icon on the top right of the TV when playing the media which seems to suggest that it hadn’t correctly initiated DV. Reversed back to previous build (just downloaded latest stock release) and have the same problems. Previously DV was working. Checked and I have the correct dovi.ko in the right place and it’s initialised correctly. If I disable DV then the films play as HDR fine. Does this build change any config that doesn’t get reverted when I went back to stock? Help!?!?

How did you install cpm’s T6 version - putting his tar file on the “.update” folder and rebooting the CoreELEC?

On the screen below - Settings → System → CoreELEC do you see these options (this is the screen from a previous version, for version T6 you should also see a option to select the “Dynamic HDR10+ to Dolby Vision Profile 8.1 conversion”)

In your case since you have a LG G4 you should select:

Mode - On demand
Type - TV-Led (Std-DV)
Dolby VSVDB - Leave off
Dynamic HDR10+ to Dolby Vision Profile 8.1 conversion - Turn on

For the rest of the options it will depend if you have fully calibrated your TV for SDR and HDR or not. If you have fully calibrated your TV for SDR and HDR then leave everything “off”. If you have not fully calibrated your TV for SDR and HDR then turn everything to “Dolby Vision” with the exception to “HLG HDR” (due to a AMLogic bug) and “Dolby Vision” should be off.

Yes, that’s exactly how I updated. When I downgraded DV is broken. I’ll upgrade again later this week and try the options you suggested. I should have said, I’m running CE through a Yamaha RX A4A too, with the video in pass through mode. Did that make a difference?

Could be, do not know, but it seems that your Yamaha has full pass-through capability for DV and HDR10+ and also being HDMI 2.1. The problem is that sometimes different devices HDMIs (2.0 vs 2.1) do not play well with each other and although by the standards they should in practice they do not always do including EDID processing. I would bypass the Yamaha and connect directly to the TV to eliminate the possibility the Ugoos to Yamaha connection is not the problem.

Make sure the video files you are using are good and do not have any encoding problems. Play multiple different DV movies files to make sure it is not a type of video file that is causing the problem. We had some people having issues because they were using some incorrectly coded video files (so the problem could be in more than one video file).

You should also check that your cables are of good quality. I mentioned on another thread that currently one of the best cables with the best current specs with a reasonable price is the Zeskit Maya 2.1 8K/60Hz HDMI Cable 10ft, also supports 4K/120Hz around $20 (specifically the 3 meters / 10 feet length given signal/attenuation ratio).

I think histogram is probably the best bet based on my reading, it is for testing so I think everyone would welcome feedback on using the different settings, for me only having done more casual checking I did not see much difference.

No config change other than the additional settings created to support this.

It is always recommended to test with a fresh install on separate media, then you can isolate issues.

I would recommend you create a fresh install on separate media with the the CE stable release and go from there to trouble shot.

& @cpm Thanks for the informations , I managed to get the Player Dv - LV , it was missing due to my settings in my hdfury . I forgot to enable lldv sync option in it .

With cpm’s version you do not need a HDFury to spoof the EDID to show LLDV, you can remove the HDFury from the chain, connect the Ugoos directly to the JVC/Receiver/Switch and set Type to Player-Led (HDR) and will get the same results as using HDFury spoofing the EDID.

By the way the “HDR InfoFrame Metadata Payload” field that was mentioned previously only shows if the Type is set to Player-Led (HDR) and will not show if Type is Player-Led (DV-LL).

Since you mention the term “LLDV Sync” I am assuming you are using an Arcana? Or are you refering to the settings “CUSTOM DV STRING” and/or “Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV”?

Quick question - with the work done by CPM, can I do a HDR (OR DV) conversion to SDR, while maintaining BT.2020 as the color space and customizing it to the max nits of my display? Basically achieving what we can do with MadVR or Lumagen today? (in my example, I would do SDR-BT.2020 with 100 nits max on high lamp, since I’m a JVC projector user).

I do not think so but cpm would be final word here or anyone that actually tested this capability. Thinking out loud… if your JVC is HDR capable, you could set Type to “Player-Led (HDR)”, set VSVDB block to your specs - set the max and min nits, BT.2020 colorimeter etc… Then go to the VS10 Engines and set everything to “SDR”. I never tried these settings so I do not know if they are even selectable/possible. I also do not know if the VS10 Engine would convert the BT.2020 to BT.709 in any case. You could also set Type to “VS10 Only” but then you do not have the capability to set the VSVDB block with the max nits and other settings you desired. Try both ways to see if it even get close to what you are looking for.

I don’t know the solution to your problem but if it helps I’m also on a AM6B+ and LG G4 with no problem at all. I suspect a clean install would help alleviate any issues. I’ve only had a problem once when I loaded Sakra on 4K (without this patch) and the colours were all wrong in HDR10 mode. I simply closed and reopened it, with no issue happening ever since.

In terms of this patch it seems to play my movies just fine, with the exception of HDR10+ > DV8 not being supported on my BDMV backups. I remuxed to MKV which seems to work a lot better for me.

You should somehow copy and configure in the AM6b+ the same edit of the zidoo Z9X “VS10 SDR709 600nits”, I think you can do it, since the configuration inserted by CPM allows you to do as HDFury

He wants to keep at BT.2020 (SDR2020) and as far as I know that zidoo edid is for BT.709 (SDR709).

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, but it was clear before. The problem is that forcing the SDR in BT2020 really sucks. The only solution is to use SDR 709 VS10 at least it comes close, the VS10 engine does a great job even in SDR. However, there is an EDID SDR BT.2020 also in the Zidoo selection but it is unwatchable.

OK, thanks for the feedback did not know this problem with VS10 Engine on Zidoo. Do you know (have tested) if this is a zidoo problem or a overall/general VS10 Engine problem? If you tested as a VS10 Engine general/overall problem across all different SoCs/platforms then he is out of luck? But as it has been discussed that depending on the SoC/platform the VS10 engine has behaved differently so it could work differently on the Ugoos AM6B+ with CoreELEC cpm’s version?

I know of 3 defects / issues currently, some of which effect what you are discussing.

Good to list them in one place.

1. HLG HDR converted via VS10 (to say DV)

• Will be processed as SDR by VS10, sending HLG HDR into VS10 does not work for this SoC.
  2. SDR 10 Bit in BT.2020

• AMLogic incorrectly thinks that is HLG HDR
    • Can correct for that element with a code fix, but AMLogic also thinks all SDR is BT.709, so early on throws away the fact it is BT.2020, and everywhere assumes if SDR then is BT.709, so end up with SDR BT.709 through all processing logic and output.
    • It is far too much code to change everywhere - so not viable without a team effort - AMLogic should really fix but then 4.9 kernel is no longer developed by them, maybe a later kernel corrects for this.
  3. Player Led (DV-LL) - incorrect colours - setup of SoC registers (my working assumption) not fully correct in certain circumstances - by extension could also effect Player Led (HDR)

• Scenarios such as boot with mode: DV On and type: Player Led (DV-LL) or some usage of VS10 in Player Led (DV-LL) - can lead to the video being in ICtCp colour representation (i.e. the purple/green you see when viewed on a display expecting YCbCr) - note: normally stopping and playing again is enough to get the registers set correctly and correct colours again.
    • To fix would need deeper understanding of how to correctly set the registers on the SoC (likely via a higher level function in AMLogic code), again maybe a later kernel corrects for this.
    • Also of note, I think the CE team were looking at having DV On at boot in the kernel which may correct for this, but probably brings other limitations (assuming then cannot turn DV off again without reboot).
1 Like

@cpm, thank you for the comprehensive explanation.

You mentioned the third issue, first bullet, with Player-Led (DV-LL) with Mode: “On”. If you use Mode: “On Demand” does that solves this specific problem?

Thanks for the detailed explanation, CPM!

Yes it avoids the issue, it will be SDR at Kodi startup (boot), and then DV when playing DV content etc. and then back to SDR for the Kodi UI when stop playing.

The interesting aspect is AMLogic in the process of playing DV content is doing something extra that makes the colours correct in [Player Led (DV-LL)] if they were incorrect on start up - need to understand what extra it is doing and then do the same at Kodi start for Mode: “On”

2 Likes

Thank you. Since I use Player-Led (DV-LL) given my projector/tv, that is what I have been using and also recommending if you are using Player-Led (DV-LL or HDR) - Mode “On Demand”. It seems to work better, at least in my use case. I really do not mind the Kodi UI in SDR as long as all content (DV, HDR10+, HDR10, SDR8, etc…) plays correctly as intended by the selected settings (with the exceptions of the 2 other bugs/issues you mentioned of which would also happen with Mode “On”).