EDID Override - Injecting a Dolby VSVDB Block

Hi, I had to toggle my Dolby settings and seems to work fine now, I also had to toggle my network wait settings? I wish there was an apply all settings on boot option. Sorted now.

1 Like

I have modified the spreadsheet to include ā€œunknownā€ values for the different data blocks. If ā€œunknownā€ is chosen or entered (zeroes on the appropriate data blocks) then the Display should use its default values for that data block. Any combination and/or all data blocks can be defined as ā€œunknownā€.

dolby_vsvdb_calc_MOD_5.xlsm (72.8 KB)

Please implement video resolution locking. :grinning:
Itā€™s a real pain, every time you have to turn the player off and on. :worried:

Hi @cpm hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Can you please incorporate CE_0726+nightlies on all your development going forward. it has the wonderful 3D now thanks to the other genius @Portisch .

Many thanks.

3 Likes

Test Build:

(amlogic-ng ce-21) update tar T2

• Rebased on latest amlogic-ng ce-21 (merging: xbmc)
  • Repo changes to (xbmc, linux-amlogic, media_modules-aml)
  • Add HDR InfoFrame payload entry and enabling into UI.
  • Some reworking of ATEME Titan MDCV and CLL handling - more readable code.

@OCEFDA

HDR InfoFrame payload added to UI.

Dolby Vision - Type: Player Led (HDR)
Includes new option - HDR InfoFrame

Enable and enter the 48 character hex value here.
The byte order should not need altering the egg is now automatically flipped in code :).

Disabled should give all 0 in the HDR InfoFrame
Anything other than exactly 48 characters will be ignored and should give all 0 in the HDR InfoFrame.

9 Likes

Is there a timeline on when this build might merge with the nightly so fixes for the ATEME issue may be a part of it?Also are there any other features of this build help that people with a DV capable display but arenā€™t interested in converting SDR to HDR

Welcome back!

For me - I am a user like almost everyone else here, so could give no advice on the timelines of the CE team and their nightly.

My philosophy is always move forward so all builds bring everything done previously, so may find some use in items like:

• on demand vs always on DV as a user preference - less switching etc.
  • VS10 HDR ā†’ DV - more useful for lower nit output DV display
  • UI changeable DV-Std colorimetry sent to display - has effect on older DV display
  • overriding Dolby VSVDB may be of use in rare cases with a DV display

FYI, Only thing left to work on that I want is dynamic HDR10+ to DV P8 conversion, then will be complete for my needs - I find the device good enough and have only passing interest in updated versions of Kodi etc. (unless a better device comes along which can do P7 FEL then maybe interested in getting that up to speed depending on the capability it offers beyond this one).

3 Likes

Hi CPM ,
wonderful work, also having HDR10+ would be a real must, given that my projector will receive the update with the integration of HDR10+ next September.
Well back

Thanks for your work
Going through the thread today it truly looks like thereā€™s something for everyone with this build
The idea of having DV player led on devices that donā€™t support DV without a need for a hdfury was the icing on the cake
However I couldnā€™t keep up with thread and narrow it down to how one should set up the device for such a use case
Is there a guide or post someone can link to?

Welcome back @cpm :+1:

The process will probably look something like this. CPM will finish authoring and testing the code. Then, they will break it into separate patches and submit it to github. The CoreELEC team will review and probably provide suggestions for revisions. There might be a few rounds. Then the code will be merged into the mainline providing it passes all reviews.

My guess is that it will be done by September.

1 Like

Just saw this missed a bunch of 3d related changes on linux-amlogic repo - will do another release including these later for those that want both in one.

I tried this build today for the fixes
I came across this thread on another forum about how gemini man is a good stress test for the box to check if your network affects streaming.Weirdly the remux file triggered DV mode though it is a HDR10 movie.It was the fgt proper release if anyone can verify this behaviour.I even checked the remux file on mediainfo and saw that it was indeed a HDR10 movie.DV is set as on demand display led dv std with all conversion options turned off.

Edit:my bad it was a dv track

FYI the version of Gemini-Man I have is DV: Gemini Man 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital HD)

Maybe mediainfo not picking up correctly but it has not been unreliable, do you have MakeMKV to check with also?

rechecked on makemkv it shows up as a DV p7 file.My bad sorry

Test Build:

(amlogic-ng ce-21) update tar T3

• Rebased on latest amlogic-ng ce-21 (merging: xbmc, linux-amlogic)
  • Repo changes to (xbmc, linux-amlogic, media_modules-aml)
  • Changes as per T2

This should include all the 3D changes from what I can see in the repo.

8 Likes

This is such an amazing build!

Installed and tested this update on the Ugoos and 3D works perfectly, better than on Homatics.
Largest congrats to you @cpm, you are becoming the ā€œheroā€ here.
Thank you.

1 Like

A few wording suggestion for the setting menu

Change:

Mode to Output Mode

"Switch On Dolby Vision always, On demand or switch off

to

"Switch Dolby Vision to Always On, On Demand, or Disabled. Always On will use Dolby Vision for the user interface and Dolby Vision content. On Demand will only output a Dolby Vision signal when watching Dolby Vision Content. Disabled will not output a Dolby Vision signal even with Dolby Vision Content. "

I also wondering if the choices would be clearer if they were called GUI and Videos, Videos Only, and Disabled.

For Colorimetry, it think it would clearer if the options were called Standard (which is disabled), BT.2020nc, and BT.709.

ā€œDolby VSVDB inject or replace existing Dolby VSVDB from EDID with VSVDB specified in the Dolby VSVDB Payload. Use this to enable the processing of Dolby Vision content on displays that do support Dolby Vision content using Player Led (HDR).ā€

to

ā€œReplace the existing Dolby VSVDB obtained from your display with a custom one.ā€

This setting should be under ā€œOutput Modeā€ and only active when Player Led (HDR) is selected.

HDR InfoFrame Inject, change the HDR InfoFrame according to the Payload when using Player Led (HDR).

ā€œChange the HDR InfoFrame according to the Payload when using the Player Led (HDR) mode.ā€

This setting should be under ā€œOutput Modeā€ and only active when Player Led (HDR) is selected.

The Colorimetry setting should be under ā€œOutput Modeā€ and only enabled if TV-led is selected.

The Various VS10 modes should be grouped under a VS10 setting and hidden unless VS 10 is enabled. The various modes should be renamed to the following pattern ā€œEnable for ā€¦ā€, e.g. ā€œEnable for SDR8ā€ The tips for this should read something like this ā€œConvert SDR8 content to Dolby Vision using the Dolby Vision VS10 engine.ā€

ā€œDolby VSVDB Payload. A v1 or v2, 14 character basic hex string for example: 2A3801515999AAā€

ā€œTo enable the Player Led (HDR) mode, input a custom 14 character basic hex string corresponding to the appropriate v1 or v2 Dolby VSVDB payload for your display, e.g. 2A3801515999AA. You will need to calculate this string using an online calculator.ā€

2 Likes