Gbit Ethernet USB Adapter not automagically working after boot

I bought a Gigabt Ethernet to USB adapter (AX88179), as my X96 Max (2G) only has 100mbit ethernet.
It doesnt work after a fresh boot, I always have to unplug and replug it to start working. Plugging in USB2 or USB3 port does not matter. Tested with v19 and 9.2.7.

Any ideas?

If you connect to a terminal try running depmod -a to update the modules.aliases database.

thanks for your help.
depmod -a does not change anything

Its an AX88179A btw, unfortunately I cant really find information about the usage on linux.

usb-devices 
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  3
P:  Vendor=0b95 ProdID=1790 Rev=02.00
S:  Manufacturer=ASIX
S:  Product=AX88179A
S:  SerialNumber=0002D6D6
C:  #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 2 Atr=a0 MxPwr=200mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=0d Prot=00 Driver=cdc_ncm
I:  If#=0x1 Alt= 1 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=01 Driver=cdc_ncm

Neither can I find much, I have found a driver package on Asix website Linux kernel 5.x/4.x/3.x/2.6.x Driver though I am fairly sure its the one your running.

One solution may be to disable the onboard LAN during boot by setting up a crontab job with crontab -e followed by @reboot ifconfig eth0 down I’m assuming your onboard LAN is eth0 as its the usual setup while your adaptor should be eth1, if you want to “belt and braces” it then also add @reboot ifconfig eth1 up. There are more elegant solutions but this is probably the easiest but run ifconfig -a before to make sure I have identified the interfaces correctly before you make any changes

You can try to reset a usb controller after boot. Something like this: https://zedt.eu/tech/linux/restarting-usb-subsystem-centos/

Thanks for your suggestions.
Fortunately I started with the most obvious thing and unplugged the logitech usb keyboard from the other usb port… without the keyboard plugged in, it works after a reboot…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.