HDR Problems on S912 and S905

@anon88919003 Thank you very much for your answer.
Maybe it’s a mess upgrading from 8.2 in the past… as was with browsing directories in my box.

Do you know if there’s room in CE to implement OSMC @Sam_Nazarko fixes for HDR flickering/banding?

Yes this is something we actually want to do, we have actually been collaborating with Sam from OSMC and the team has been testing the Vero4K kernel on S905 and S912 devices and we have excellent results.

We have ported all of our changes over to the Vero kernel and the next step is to implement changes that OSMC has made to Kodi Krypton into Leia.

It’s still a WIP but it has a number of us excited given how good the results have been so far.

11 Likes

that sounds (as Mr. Trump would say) “really great!” :joy:

Great News…

I didn’t think the 905 supported hdr?

Matt

I’m already satisfied with the HDR picture quality so I wonder how the new kernel will work on my boxes.
Will be any test version before the next release?

not the S905, but the S905X in some way…

I tried to play 4K HDR movie with a Full-HD TV which doesn’t support HDR. The result is that the picture is too dark and the colors are different. Is there any possibility to improve this e.g. to deactivate HDR processing manually? The chipset is S905D.

No, you need a HDR capable TV to watch HDR content.

I’ve tested last LE nightly and custom build of CE with HDR, 444, 10 bits samples and in both cases, HDR is output but only at 422 and 8 bits, I have to force 444,10bits, to output correct values. Doing this, 1080p videos are force at 444, 10bit, with incorrect color depth and gamma.
But @wrxtasy solved this issue in his LE Kodi 17 build: https://github.com/wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv/releases

thanks.

Did you set GUI resolution to 1080P?

The issue is not solved in his builds, the switching method he is using came from one of our earlier builds but it proved unpopular with users due to the fact it required users to manually activate and deactivate it so we removed it from CE.

Thanks for your answer.
But i’m not sure about it. I have minix U9 with @wrxtasy build and all is automatic. I’ve tested several HDR samples and color depth, chroma and resolution is autoswitched. For example: i’ve posted a comment in kodi forum related to 1 video: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331840&pid=2754908#pid2754908
In @wrxtasy build when I play it all is correct: autoswicth from 1080p GUI 4:2:0, 8bits --> 4K, HDR, 4:4:4 and 10bits. But last CE build, even i included 4K resolution in whitelist option, the video is not played correctly.

I’m not an expert in this field but if your required some logs or test, tell me.

Thanks.

I would tend to agree with atomizasser after a short testing spell with wrxtasy’s Krypton build. The switching does appear to be automatic as the info overlay on my TV indicates and as per the setting in his Amlogic menu entry. Just my 2c.

Did you use 4k/30Hz?
That’s only for use 4k/30Hz and not 4k/60Hz.
Because this is not in the specification for HDMI-2.0, there are a maximum of 4k/60Hz/420/10bit only with 4k/30Hz you can get 444/10bit.
You can look here and here!

Paul

Some TVs will not play nicely when the GUI is set to 10 bit and 4K without HDR.
That’s is one of the reasons we always recommend setting the GUI to 1080P.

With recent changes pushed by afl1 in amlcodec, the problem is resolved? I mean, autoswitch to 10bits for HDR is working?

Regards.

It has not been resolved yet.

I haven’t played any BT2020 (HDR10) content since CoreELEC v.8.90.2, so, are there other issues regarding HDR10 playback than the banding issue?

I’m thinking about mapping a key on my remote to run the command that enables 444,10-bit during playback as a temporary solution for the banding issue. Is the command still echo round1 > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug?

Nothing changed from .2 to .5, .4 was based on OSMC kernel and we had the flashing/banding issue fixed. It’ll take time to backport that fix over to the current kernel. (it still didn’t have 10bit autoswitching, though)

Regarding 444,10-bit/banding/flashing - you have to make the color depth change before resolution/refresh rate change, and the round1 change after the resolution/refresh rate change.