Help for SMB woes please

Sorry if this topic has been covered before but I have done a search of the N2 section and couldn’t find an answer.

I received a CoreELEC edition N2 today but I simply cannot get SMB shares from my Windows 10 Pro PC working on it.
Whatever I do I get two errors the first says operation not permitted and the second says couldn’t connect to network server.
Every other device on my network (Vero 4K, Vero 4K+, another Windows 10 PC and a 4K Firestick with both Kodi and its fork MRMC) simply work with my Windows shares.

On the N2 I’ve tried using the PC name and then the IP address.
I’ve tried these again with the firewall and anti virus turned off on the PC sharing the files.
I’ve tried wireless to eliminate ethernet problems.
I’ve set the exact same settings my Vero’s are running in the SMB section of services but everything results in the same two errors.

I have internet connection with it and I believe its connecting on one level to my Windows PC as it will connect to my HD Homerun Connect TV receiver and get the channels from the Homerun software running on my PC.

Any suggestions how to proceed will be greatly appreciated from me.

Adding windows share isn’t working for me to.
Add the share manually by using the option Add network share....
This is working fine with my win10 shares.
I added a extra user on win10 for the shares but I don’t know if this is necessary. But it’s good to have a user and pass entered.

SMB Never works for me, pile of shite.

I just use upnp, working perfect and streaming vids from my pc drive fine.

Windows 10 has anonymous shares disabled by default so you have to set Windows to use password protected sharing under Control Panel -> Network and Sharing -> Advanced Sharing Settings -> All Networks. Make sure Windows is using the correct profile for your connection, should be Private and not Public. Double check folder sharing is enabled under the Private profile in the same panel.

It’s tricky to set up an SMB share in general with CoreELEC. You actually have to set up the user and password when connecting to the share rather than doing it beforehand from the Kodi menu. That got me stuck for a while. Also it seems CoreELEC is not able to browse SMB shares the way Windows can. You have to enter the share name manually when adding the network location to CoreELEC.

One other Windows issue I ran into has to do with driver settings. For some ethernet adapters (my network is all hard-lined), Green ethernet is enabled by default. So Windows may shut down the ethernet port and go into power savings mode if it’s not being used on the client side. This will disconnect the share with CE. I had to go into Device Manager and disable all the power saving modes for my ethernet adapter to keep disconnects from happening.

Once set up correctly, SMB shares have been working reliably for me. I do have a problem once in a while where the box does not connect to the share after a power cycle using the shutdown from remote function (which does a full shutdown with wake on lan disabled for my config). Rebooting from within the CoreELEC menu always fixes it. I actually think there’s some weird wol bug causing that.

Oh, for reference I’m using the latest stable version of CE on an Odroid-N2, network connection is over hard-line ethernet.

Since windows 10 SMB shares are a PITA. If you log into in the system using a Microsoft account its even worse. I normally Set up a new LOCAL user called KODI or XBMC. When you set up the share make sure the files and directories have read access for either “authenticated users”, “Everyone”, or the user you set up. I also use a static IP for my Windows Box (using the DHCP Assignment in the router) I also add this address to the hosts.conf file. The above steps are probably not all necessary but I find if I do them it works.

Another thing you may want to consider is keeping your media on another low powered device. You can plug an external drive into your N2 or a orange/raspberry PI and share it over your network. That way you can use SMB / NFS and save power too.

upnp, works perfect for me.

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up giving up on SMN and set up my shares using haneWIN NFS server which seems to be working quite well so far

I have never had problems with SMB, even with Windows.

The Windows username must have this structure <windows-machine-name>\<user-name>.

As a precaution, all my SMB users only have read-only permissions, nobody can delete anything.