Homatics Box R 4K Plus

i can recommend not booting into android at all.
just never let it do anything.
After the first boot into coreelec with the reset pin method it will automatically boot from usb the next time :wink:

1 Like

Still, there is no guarantee that if you buy a device now that you won’t get the “new” firmware preinstalled.

If you updated because it was there to install, then the update was pushed, ready to download and install on your box. When there as update, there is mostly the option to install it or ignore that, but in some cases, like with Homatic betas (but also not always), the last one I got was already downloaded in the background when I got the message that it was pushed to the box (V5438 user version). Experiences differ with that :wink:

For boxes that run only with stable builds, it will be there as an option to install I guess. Can’t say for sure, don’t have all different SEI804 boxes :slight_smile:

They’ll have to ask or find the correct fw if CE is the goal

ok, I will try to not boot into Andorid. I want to use it mainly with CE. I used to love my Vero4k+, but the lack of DV is what brings me to this soluion. Is there a firmware version downloadable for the nokia box that works best with CE, or does it only automatily install firmware updates as they are pushed?

For CE, I just install the latest nightly, or is there a special build?

And one last question for now, is there any downsideside of the “on the fly conversion” of DV Profile 7 FEL? Will the bug in the new kernel be fixed anytime soon?

A question about using streaming addon (e.g. Prime Video) on CoreElec:
Can you also play 4K videos with the Widedevine L1 certified Homatics Box?

With my Odroid-N2, only a maximum of SD resolutions work, but no HD or UHD.

Widevine certificate only in Android working I think…

But don’t know for sure…

Might be CE new feature!!!

No, never. Our images must be signed by Google for this. I don’t think this will happen ever.

1 Like

Is there an instruction how to install CE with the reset pin option and USB?

sadly not specific to this device :frowning:
but there are generics in the wiki.

If you have made the USB with CE on it plug it into the USB of the box. (i use the usb3 port)
Than push a pin into the reset port until you feel it is pressed.
While pressed plug in power and wait until you see the CE logo. (you have to wait really long if you let go too soon youll get into androidtv recovery ^^ )

ok, thank you. I will receive my box today and will try to install CE that way. Which is the right image?

https://relkai.coreelec.org/Amlogic-ne/ce-21/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.aarch64-21.0-Omega_nightly_20230620-Generic.img.gz

or this

https://relkai.coreelec.org/Amlogic-ne/ce-21/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.aarch64-21.0-Omega_nightly_20230620.tar

.tar = Update
.gz = burn it to USB stick

me again…

I have tried to boot CE from USB, but it dind’t work.

I created an USB Stick with Etcher (latest nightly) an put it USB3

pressed the reset button while connecting to power, kept pressing it. It shows a message that if I want to go to recovery mode, I have to press the reset button again, but I keep pressing it. The there comes a message “USB burning Mode” and the android symbol. After that the screen turns black and nothing happens. If I keep pressing, the box restarts after a while an same thing again. No CE symbol or anything

You copied sc2_s905x4_sei_smb_280.dtb as dtb.img?

is it possible to use the nokia remote within CE? If yes, what do I need to install?

and of course use general guide for setting the remote

1 Like

OK, thank you very much!

I just tested some DV movies and the box runs perfect so far with CE!

2 Likes

It’s probably worth mentioning (and probably obvious) that if like me you still like and use the old Microsoft mce remote and IR infrared receiver that they work absolutely fine with the Homatics

1 Like

Dear all Homatics/Dune/Rocktek R 4K Plus/Nokia 8010 users.

@vpeter was able to identify the reason about loading the DV module of the new firmware v11.8.5310 or newer. Also we were able to solve the freeze of CE when open a h265 media file.

But the reason what cause the DV module not be able to be loaded did break compatibility between the different Android versions.

This does mean tomorrow nightly 20230628 is the last update fully support h265 and DV for devices with firmware before v11.8.5310.

The next nightly update 20230629 will fully support h265 and DV for devices with firmware since v11.8.5310 and forward.

So do not update CE as long you did not upgrade Android firmware to ensure best support of all media types!

What will happen if CE is upgraded but Android not?

You will loose DV support and it will be displayed in HDR only. Downgrade CE or upgrade Android firmware fix this again.

7 Likes