Homatics Box R 4K Plus

That just old v5310 special build, dated 12.07.2023, repair some rosegold box dvb tuner issues. Same kernel as v5310. Coreelec works under that.

I have the Dune HD black model. Its on 5554 now but it was shipped with FW prior to 5310. CE works perfect on 5554 no issues DV P7 also works on it. On top of that DTS-HD and DTS-X passthrough also works with CE.

Anybody experiencing over heating? I get temps up to 167f and it doesn’t go past that. Some films will stutter if on too long, and I think it’s related to the heat. It sits on the wood shelf of my entertainment stand, which seems to not help it, and propping it at an angle seems to cool it off a fair bit dropping temps around 10 degrees, and the stutter goes away.

I saw a post how poor the stock thermal pad is, and I ordered a longer one and expect it to be here on Saturday and hoping it helps. That mecool box posted here earlier looks really attractive and has grills on the bottom, I imagine that design is much better.

Which version Nightly of Coreelec do you recommend to install, 20 or 21 ?

Use 21, it’s better.

Okay, the Coreelec system is starting problem with the remote control because it doesn’t work what should be done for the remote control to start working ?

Ok, I managed to configure the remote control

I have another problem What program to install to configure Hyperion NG I installed this plug-in, but the LEDs didn’t light up what program should I use for configuration?

Use Webinterface:

Does this program support this ambilight set?

The highest temps i have seen after 4-5 hours of runtime is 122f. so 167f seems really high as something is not right with those thermals.

Please use English, °C, meters and kilograms. Thanks

PS: only the English part is true :slight_smile:

The Dune HD Box R4k+ that I own is on first boot at 40-45 C° and after 4-5 hours of use with Live TV , YouTube and movies from Nas at 60-65 C° … The box are placed beneath OLEDTV where some heat already exists.

I managed to run everything, but now I have a problem with it starting I managed to run everything, but now I have a problem with it starting Coreelec a message appears asking for a software update but OTA is not available, no software is available, do you know how to download newer fw for this box?

Ok all, glad to hear it’s something wrong with my box and everybody’s isn’t running this insanely hot. When i peaked at my thermal pad, i put it back on and kept the top of the box off, and my temps are right around that 145f mark that FoLeY is seeing which seems acceptable. Still awaiting the bigger thermal pad to see what it can do though, as the stock thermal pad barely covers the whole heatsink, or rather metal plate they have.

Does anybody experience a lot of lag in the UI? I’m running at 4k resolution using Arctic Horizon so I expected lag, but man when I went to tinker with my odroid c2 that runs coreelec it ran noticeably better. Both systems are outputting the ui at 4k 60fps.

Anyone got a link or photo of the Board/Heatsink/internals couldn’t find one on reviews etc. Thanks

see:

And some images from Rocktek G2 (same board)
https://device.report/m/c77b503f3fb4edaf2538ef8064c42424d7c7b96c7da2bd175513c6848f78b2a4.pdf
https://device.report/m/84ac5fd233b34730c1e532e14d86c12b657be11b8b36bb2df89898304e4d1a80.pdf

1 Like

Wow, that rocktek g2 seems even worse and has no metal plate on the backplate to dissipate heat. Anyways, just wanted to post my results with the new thermal pad, and it seems to possibly solve my problem. It takes substantially longer to heat up to 167f, and doesn’t cook at 167f on idle afterwards. I haven’t done extensive testing and benchmarking, I’m not sure if this CPU throttles itself or boost’s the clock speeds according to thermals. But it’s definitely dissipating heat better, the bottom gets uncomfortably hot to my hand, the serial number sticker is actual starting to peel up lol. I’m really thinking about making 3d printing something to put a fan underneath, because I can’t imagine this heat is good for the chip in the long run.

That’s the main problem, by adding additional thermal plate you mainly just increase the Thermal capacitance inside the box. The main weakness of these boxes is the missing venting holes.
Same will occur on S928, even with that impressive diecast sink. With a venting hole on bottom side, but not on top, how should proper convection establish?

Regarding Homatics box & the magnet, this is a cheap mounting option to compensate mech. tolerances.
But requires the metal plate to be movable. If plate is fully screwed to housing, magnet will pull up upper shieldbox cover, and the thermal pad between shielbox & CPU will loose contact.

I’m probably going to ditch the Homatics and go back to my N2. Sure I lose DV, but I don’t really mind. It simply runs too hot, and the usb stick is also way too hot for comfort. Massively flawed box.

My box in a warm media closet and I have no heat issues.