Homatics Box R 4K Plus

Thank you for the support, as soon as I get to the box I will do everything necessary. I have never logged here, I hope I can manage everything

If I understand correctly, I turned on logging, reset the device, after booting CE, I turned on the video here, after loading the video should I turn off the logging and send or must the logging continue?
Update: Now I did a clean install on the SSD drive. Version 20.2 video buffer works fine then i tried nightly 21 and video buffer stopped working again t

I’ll just use mine until it burns itself up, if that’s its ultimate fate. I’ve ordered heatsinks and will make a small mod to the box in the hopes the temperature stays cooler. But it works pretty well, so other than the heat, I don’t really have any complaints. I just wish the UI was as nice as Plex’s. Regardless, it gives me HDR10+, which I’ll take over the nicer UI.

Yep, the first thing I did was replace the bottom thermal pad with a larger, slightly thick one so that even through the magnet sits higher than the metal heatsink it now compresses and makes contact with both the magnet and the plate. I also thermally glued a piece of copper busbar I had laying around to the top heatsink.

These mods made no absolutely no difference to the idle temperature, the only difference is it now takes a lot longer to reach those temperatures, owing to the fact there is no ventilation in the box :frowning:

My final solution was simply to just leave the top off, my idle temperatures now sit at 50 to 51C

The real problem of this box is the cooldown .Even if you mod it with some passive heatsink ,once it reaches high temps,it’s pretty hard to dissipate the heat in such a closed and tight case.

Personality i modded one of the initial models (Silver color) ,but i went really crazy on it,by cutting down the shied on top of the SoC ,placed a big heatsink (salvaged from old motherboards ) directly on the chips and also connected the heatsink to the aluminum plate from the top cover .
Then i drilled a lots of holes on the bottom and also tweaked a bit the iron plate from the bottom .
After that i did several tests with stress-ng on CE and the temps never went above 60°C after 30 minutes of stress test.
Even so,the cooldown takes a bit and usually will never reach the idle/cold boot temp.

But that’s a heavy mod,not for the faint of heart ,so i can’t recommend it to everyone (let alone the warranty problems ). :joy:

Yep, it’s a shame the makers of these boxes decided money was better spend on a pointless light bar instead of a decent thermal solution :frowning_face:

1 Like

Hello,
B21 does not work in CE In a new installation it is possible to pair and work. You go out to Atv and go back to CE and it no longer pairs in any way. Is there any easy way to solve this? Easy please if there is one.

You need to press pairing buttons again and will start working. Without doing anything in CE.

Dune HD black box
102F (39C) Idle
111-113F (44C) 1 to 2 hours mild usage (no hdr no dv no hd audio)
133-136F (56C) 2 to 3 hours heavy usage

Im using Omega Alpha1 nightly if that matters. (I must say thermals on my Minix boxes are much better).

I have tried it many times. That doesn’t work for me.

Maybe same Remote FW issue like here: Homatics Box R 4K Plus - #1876 by rmkjr

Have you checked that both thermal pads are present inside the shieldboxes?
If missing, this could explain your high Idle Temp…

How are you checking your temps?? thanks

Do the shields pop off or are they soldered on?

If they pop off easily I’ll have a look to check.

Yes, frame is soldered, but topcover just clipped.
See PDF s linked Homatics Box R 4K Plus - #1998 by rho-bot

From System info> Hardware

Ok, thought you were using an app or something.

After pairing in ATV you have to delete the remote in CE settings and pair it again from zero. At least this is what works for me but I have to persistent. If you change from CE to ATV a lot you should have an IR reception added to the device as pointed in the Telegram group. Other solution is having another remote, like with a RF dongle, for CE.

only app i’m using is Homatics LED control that i believe " [FoLeY]" deigned to control color lights on this box. (really cool app)

This is such a poor solution though, but it’s the only one. I really dislike my homatics box, it’s hands down one of the worst boxes I have used. The temperatures are insane, and have such poor cooling out the box.

And I don’t know who to fault on this, if it’s coreelec or something with the box but it runs so much slower than my Odroid C4 which was an S905x box. I’ve made points to this and the answer I’m given is “dont run such a heavy skin”, but if I have older and slower hardware that runs it without issue, what gives? Even Android TV felt bog slow, but I’m comparing that to my Nvidia Shield so that’s a unfair comparison. I’m really looking forward to a better dolby vision solution for coreelec, and I’m open to suggestions if there is one.

This whole box feels like a ticking time bomb to me, the high temperatures even with the stock light skin but watching a 4k blu-ray isn’t good for the hardware and being booted off a USB drive it’s only a matter of time until that dies. I know this sounds like a bunch of whining, but considering the price point of this I was really excited for it, as it was triple the price of my Odroid C4