How to delete (or move) existing keymaps under /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps?

While I understand why they exist, I am accustomed to manually editing keyboard.xml after almost 20 years of Kodi. I don’t want to use the keymap addon because I don’t actually need it but the huge number of xml files under the system directory makes it a nightmare to overcome all the ways in which the different files interact between them.

If there’s a more specific entry in even one of them, it supersedes the one I place in (as an example). I’d like to simplify the situation if at all possible but
mv: can't rename 'keymaps': Read-only file system

In a different discussion I was made aware of the

mount -o remount,rw /flash
rm /flash/remote.conf
mount -o remount,ro /flash

approach. But that concerns the flash directory and I’m not sure if and how I could use it for what I need.

The alternative would be, maybe, to create empty xml files under /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps for all files I want to “nullify”. But I don’t know if that would work or if they need to actually contain instructions to override the default ones.

Probbably useful
https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

I am aware of that. But the problem is that there are so many xml files under /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps that the “intersections” between all those files are nightmarish.
If one has the need for all those files, fine. But otherwise they make a relatively straightforward process a rather complex one, since you have to check all files for entries that could supersede the ones you place in /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/

In any case, the wiki page you linked to is exactly where I came up with the “placing empty files” idea. But re-reading It I’m afraid that empty won’t nullify them.

Isn’t only keyboard.xml relevant? At least this is what I edid.

That’s how I knew it in all these years using Kodi on HTPC. But I am seeing unexpected behavior. I am trying to examine debug logs, in order to provide more info.

Ok, I have solved the problems I had but I can confirm…

Say I want to remap a key. It’s not enough to remove all old references to it in /userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml, while placing the new command under <general>.

Other files in /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps might have more specific mapping, under more specific entries (say under <FullscreenVideo>) and so you have to repeat the new mapping under every entry in the original file.

I’m not sure I’m explaining myself clearly (I can explain it again with more detail if I’m not). The point is that it makes editing a /userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml file more tedious than what it needs to be.