How to run CoreElec on internal memory eMMC on NG boxes (S905X2, S922X) having full operating Android system too

Any chance to have the script to perform a full emmc/nand installation for being able to boot CE directly without sdcard?

I’ve tried to restore CE original with script and install again but now I have this notice:
Not enough space on Android data partition. Exiting!

How to install now again to eMMC?

Hi,being a bit of a Linux novice …used to do updates/configs via winscp in Windows…
Didn’t work for me this time.
Did it all in linux,burnt image using 9.02 Offical,then put nightly off the 22nd on .

SSH into coreelec, copy over and run scripts .rebooted …now have 32gb for Coreelec storage as that was the size of the SD. SD back into Linux ,deleted STORAGE…not needed. :+1:
Attached USB 3 HDD ,set up shares
Scanned in library…which is super fast.
Was able to scan ,download and install addons at the same time :crazy_face:. .not able to do that before!
Had the same issue when going back to normal resize. Not enough space on Android…reimaged box …took 20mins .

Its definitely worth doing ,very responsive and a lot more fluid .
Many thanks,very pleased …and I know alot more about Linux now :+1::nerd_face:

If you are talking about the test.sh I made from Emerson’s post the android partition is mounted at /tmp/data . You can either symlink it to storage or change MNTDIR="/tmp/data" to set where you want to mount to.

1 Like

http://ix.io/1ZJe

This is not yet possible.

This script is an example only. Here I write about the details. Use Google translate.

• login via SSH
  • reboot recovery
  • wipe data
  • run install script.
2 Likes

thank you very much

great news.
but

what happens as the android system stops working properly, now I’m connecting male to male and flash android image
can I do the same after partitioning the partition?
what happens as coreelec will not start after the update I had two such cases, I pull out the card, it installs again works, and how is it in the internal memory

The USB burning tool overwrites everything in the eMMC.
Android recovery -> wipe data will be deleted from CE rootfst.
Rename the kernel.img.bak file to kernel.img and run install_ng_ext4.sh.

1 Like

Hey Emerson,
which Android version is your X96 Max running?
I went through the install process without issues and everything was running fine. Today I updated Android via FOTA update to X96MAX_V311R_P_20190926-1519
and now coreelec starts in green. So everything has a very huge green tint. Network doesn’t really work anymore either.
I’ll try out your restore script now :slight_smile:
Are you running an older android on your X96 Max?

okay as network capabilities also broke in Coreelec, what’s the proper way to reset everything so I can start from scratch?

Version 20190926 has bad U-boot.
I have version X96Max_V311R_P_20190722-2021.
Usb Burning tool back flash this you can find this version.
Disable the OTA update by using this.

Thank you very much!

Hi, would not work on GT King running last nightly (25102019).
“No system files found! Exiting…”

… My bad, I forgot to copy the new img.

ME TOO…X96MAX_V311R_P_20190926-1519 is LAN can’t get IP

Only stable version supported.

Any idea where to put the Splash.png or oemsplash.png after applying your patch @Emerson?
When running from sd, this instructions work:
https://libreelec.wiki/how_to/change_bootscreen
But this doesn’t work anymore after the script has been applied.

This kernel does not support the oemsplash function.
Here is the modified version.
Insert the SD card into a USB card reader.
Copy the modified kernel and oemsplash.png to the card.
Delete kernel.img.
Rename oemsplash_ext4-ng-kernel.img to kernel.img.

could you sum up the modifications that were done to allow android ext4 fs to be made mountable ? or if you prefer, why the original kernel (from CoreELEC) would not allow to mount the eMMC on NG boxes ?