Hyperion ng not working with FT232RL?

hi, i bought a FT232RL and connected it to my odroid n2. It is recognized as i can see in dmesg:

[   72.094701@3] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci-hcd
[   72.224383@3] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
[   72.224386@3] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[   72.224388@3] usb 1-1.2: Product: FT232R USB UART
[   72.224390@3] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[   72.224392@3] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: AQ00RBVN
[   72.226970@3] ftdi_sio 1-1.2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[   72.227027@3] usb 1-1.2: Detected FT232RL
[   72.230927@3] usb 1-1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

is connected the led strip to it (green to green, yellow to yellow, rx/tx).
i can see that the usb controller is working (power led) and i see a rx tx led on it but it does not blink. so i guess something is wrong configured in hyperion. hyperion probably does not use that usb device to send the data.

in LED hardware i have:
controller type: file
rgb byte order: rgb
output path: /dev/ttyUSB1

anyone an idea what is wrong?
i have configured in effects that background effect should be knight rider and boot effect should be knight rider. but its always the rainbow effect which comes from the led stripe itself when powering on.

edit: just noticed that the first LEDs are blinking now. but not as expected. so i guess there is some kind of signal that is sent but not what i would expect. it is sk9822 LEDs. maybe someone can help me to configure hyperion? :slight_smile:

just enter auto as output path. when everything is correct configured it detect the UART port by itself.

thanks and what do i have to use for “controller type” ?

This only can be answered by yourself as you know what controller with which firmware you use to control your LEDs :innocent:

as mentioned: i have a direct usb->rs232 adapter: https://www.waveshare.com/ft232-usb-uart-board-type-a.htm

edit: created now https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng/issues/1157

You can close the issue right now again, you need to study some more how-to on the web!

You need some extra peace of hardware to transform the UART signal to SPI/data signal for the LED chips.
@Paulchen-Panther I think you can close the issue

already closed that github ticket
the ft232 is simply not able to produce spi output
thought serial is serial, and all protocols can be done in software.
ordered now a usb-serial adapter that can do spi, uart, ttl, etc.

I hope an adapter with a firmware? A straight UART/SPI adapter will not work, I think. Someone need to convert the UART protocol data into SPI data protocol what the LEDs does understand.

no, i do not buy a UART->SPI adapter, that makes no sense and would just increase latency.
i bought this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2264
it can do spi, i2c, uart, jtag, coffee cooking, … it can do ANYTHING! :smiley:

if this does not work i’ll go with an ESP…

At least when a firmware exists to convert the UART data to your used LEDs it should be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.