Interesting DV

Yes it will. Just mentioning that we are not talking about a library. We need a kernel module for that specific kernel.

Khadas published this library: [link]

2 Likes

This is for u-boot, not kernel. And you will still need a SoC including the DV license.

Yes, but I disassembled the file and I see that the functions needed to process DV (e.g. rpu parser) are all included, so I thought it was the same.

Who have time to implement disassembled assembler code into c :wink:
If this are just a few hundreds lines, sure. We would have done it already from dovi.ko. But we talk about thousands of lines.

These are the RE’d sources: [link]

What’s interesting is that CMv4.0 is handled in the code, while only CMv2.9 works under Android with Amlogic.

CMv4.0 vs CMv2.9 difference: [link]

2 Likes

This is the 64-bit dovi.ko kernel module from Homatics firmware: [link]

4 Likes

wow thanks in advance!!!

2 Likes

We are waiting from the dev team, this would be nice improvements to the homatics box, when its working.

It’s not only the module, also ffmpeg and Kodi need to be modified to be able to handle DV, so a full time job for weeks…

1 Like

Everything needed already merged in Kodi 21.

2 Likes

I tried to load the kernel module with insmod on Homatics, but it restarts the box.
Is this due to the difference in kernel versions?
CE-NE: 5.4.125
dovi.ko: 5.4.180

1 Like

Already in Kodi so our work is done. Wonderful.
Now back to earth AML implementation requires extra work. Even though dovi.ko in 64bit is a way forward there is currently nothing we can do. Those people with that particular box can try to add support. It is built against 5.4.180 Kernel which we currently don’t support, not to mention the lack of hardware.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the big fuss about DV is. When (or if!) it’s able to be done, the team here will be on top of it.

ok. I see.

1 Like

Just trying to help…
About half of the 4K movies released so far are Dolby Vision and 90% of the new releases are.
On an OLED TV, a Dolby Vision movie looks much better than an HDR10.

1 Like

Looks like we on our own.

This kind of comment is really uncalled for. If it was only the CE team wish that counted, we would have DV a long time ago because many of its members would love it and all of its members like to provide the best solution for a media center. We’re just not there yet in terms of device availability and the modules needed. If you look at the devices officially supported by CE only 2 or 3 have the possibility of having DV because the soc is licensed. And those are on the 4.9 kernel.
When and if Homatics joins in as a supporter, there’s a chance something happens. Until then our hands are tied.

1 Like

As I stated there are still roadblocks. I got to admit it looks better now. I just dislike comments that there is already kodi support. This Kodi support is not the support we need.

We don’t need boxes. We need time to implement it. Also there are remaining legal questions.

Yeah but you need to understand it’s hardware specific, and the developers would have it supported already if it were straightforward. The continuous push for something that simply cannot be done right now is just exhausting. It’s not an open source format like HDR10+ is.

I’m very aware of the advantages. My OLED TV supports all the dynamic formats.