Is CoreELEC running 100% on any "cheap" Android TV Box?

After i bought one of theese problematic boxes (X96mini) i would like to know if there is any of theese S905W, S905X, S905X3 boxes wich one runs with CoreELEC including On/Off functionality?
The one i bought has an X96mini_RP (ampere) board, which seems not to be compatible with CoreELEC. Newly i bought one: advertised as X96Max+ 4/32G, they delivered one called X96Max, on startup it showed X96mini on the screen and had an X96mini p281 board - i sent it back. Is there any of theese which one i should buy or - rather should i go in direction J3455B-ITX / J5040-ITX?
Thanks

I bought a Bqeel Y8 max 4/64 in May 2020. CoreElec runs quite well, except CEC. GBit LAN works, the remote powers the device ootb on and off, without any hassle. So, no blob required. I setup tripleboot Leia/Android on internal and Matrix on SD card. Now, Iā€™m exploring Matrix.

Thanks a lot - unfortunately it is too long ago, ā€œCurrently unavailableā€. They probably sold the whole batch they produced, now comes something new. Amazon is offering now ā€œBqeel Android TV Box 4K Smart TV Box 4G + 32G R1 PRO Android 10.0 TV Box with RK3318ā€ā€¦ Thanks anyway.

Bought and just had delivered from AliExpress an X96 Air 4/64 for $51 (is this cheap enough?).
Mine was advertised as having 1000MB ethernet (figured if it didnā€™t I would contest with PayPal).
Received it yesterday (version P3) and it does have 1000MB port.

I installed -ng nightly on an SD card and booted.
I installed the right VFD and addon, too.

wifi shows up (ie it identifies my SSID), but Iā€™m not using it
wired works
bluetooth works
display shows time and information

I have no idea about the heat, etc. but a drill and or fan can fix that.

Of all the cheap boxes the X96Air seem the most reliable for CE.

Shoog

Thanks, i did not mean cheap as something under usd 50 or so, i mean not usd 150 because then i will rather go for a normal mini-PC like J3455, J5005 or J5040, then i will have my homeserver in it also. I am using now a mini-ITX Asus P8H67-I with i3-2100T and a GeForce GT 710, it is OK but draws too much power -> produces heat -> loud.
Can you switch you X96 Air really off via shutdown command? Ma X96mini stays switches on, the attached USBdisk is still running, i have to pull the plug every time. If i am running the original android the switch on/off is ok with the remote controller.

My X96Air responds to remote power off command, it then wakes in response to remote as well. I think I used the blob to achieve this. Donā€™t really use it though as sometimes it doesnā€™t bring up the LAN correctly on wake (most of the time it does if you give it a sec). I usually just leave it on 24/7

Shoog

According to a Youtube video of a comparable box, plugged in and doing ā€˜nothingā€™ it uses less than 4 watts.

You mean it is not a big deal leaving it running? I changed the idle time for the attached hard disk to 10 minutes, so i could leave it as is.

And of the best boxes, which would currently be the most recommended for CoreELEC? In my case I am not interested in Android or microSD, only installed in the internal memory.

Thank you

I run my main system on the X96Air and installed to internal using the -x switch using cemmc.

Shoog

I have X96 Air with CoreELEC in its internal memory. I was asking for a better box for CoreELEC.

Odroid N2?

We can put it in two levels:
S922X (or similar) - N2+, VIM3, Gt king/king pro and minix U22-XJ.
S905X3- C4 and VIM3L.
This are the top supported devices.

1 Like

What is bothering you with the X96 Air? I have one up and running plus a N2+ - and in the end they both work fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.