Just a few questions about the N2

@zang74: Yes I do have another SBC, however the point about buying the N2 was to consolidate several things onto one device, which it is more then capable of doing, and therefore having less “mess” laying around.

As stated previously to @anon88919003 , I also wanted to make use of the USB 3.0 ports for HDD’s and I cannot do this until a fix is found for the rear ports.

I know it does, I was using that as an example as it’s the most common configuration.

This is also not just an issue with the Odroid N2 as the issue has been experienced on other devices also, it has been reported to Amlogic but the suggested solution is not solid yet.

I think your being a bit premature in your judgement and somewhat of an alarmist.

Maybe, but this issue has been around for several months now and with no sign of anything that looks like a concrete fix.

As for being an alarmist, I really don’t think so. Nothing I have said has not been true and after all I was just replying to the OP’s question on the N2. I think it’s better the OP knows the issues before purchasing this product.

Don’t you agree?

Issues? what other issues is there?

Your putting people off buying a device because of a single issue your having with USB and judging a product on an issue that has nothing to do with them.

The device is probably still the best you can buy right now and if you think this issue is bad then you should have a look at the pick and mix bag of treats that the team got with the Beelink GT-King because half of them have problems with Ethernet and half of them can’t even write to USB3 at more than 200KB/s.

The same issue exists on S905X3 also so it’s not specific to this particular board, it’s a wider problem with the newer Amlogic products.

It’s a total exaggeration saying that it’s a waste of money because it’s not like you can’t use USB3, this issue will be fixed as all of the others have and at least HK is working to resolve the issue.

1 Like

Not at all. Take a look at the following two links and tell me it’s a single issue that only I’m having.
Link1
Link2

Don;t get me wrong. The N2 is a great product and much better then my old S912, however for me I cannot use it for the job it was purchased for as it has these issues.

Well, if you can tell me how I can use the USB3 ports for a couple of HDD’s without them falling over, I’m listening.

Both links relate to the same single USB issue…

Correct, my point being I’m not the only one having this issue.

@anon88919003 - You and the team are doing a great job and I really like CE and recommend it to many people. So please do not take this as a personal attack, or an attack on the N2. I’m just stating the N2, presently, may not suit everyone. Me being one of those.

I certainly don’t but your posts are causing fear amongst users clearly and pushing people towards inferior products because of a problem that will be solved at some point, I feel it only right to point out all the facts.

Yes there is a single issue where if you connect more than 2 HD’s or DVB adapters via USB that you may experience issues but that is the only problem, other than that it’s a superb device.

When you say something is a waste of money to me that is saying something is garbage which the N2 certainly is not.

You have to remember when we started out with the 4.9 kernel there was other issues with the N2 and they all got solved eventually, the sleep issue when using SD cards comes to mind and there is still a bunch of others but these affect all devices, CEC/LPCM etc…

Let’s get the information right. You cannot even connect one HDD without some people experiencing problems. Likewise one lone dual usb tuner will cause issues.

I agree. However if you want to use it with external HDD’s and tuners it will not work. So if you do purchase it for this reason you have wasted your money as it will not function as intended.

I’m sure these issues will eventually be fixed, but in the meantime I’m advising people not to purchase the N2 if you want it for external USB HDD’s and Tuners.

I have HDD connected via USB3 dock station and never had an issue with using it after 4 months.
So it could be some specific issue.

As I said “some people” have the issue. It’s strange that people with same setup have different results. Makes tracking the cause much harder.

MAYBE it is batch related–SOC, the USB Hub, Voltage regulator and other critical paths. As you guys know–HK has tried for months to track down the problem and has not found the cause. They have offered workarounds that cripple the USB3 speeds–which is NOT a solution. Apparently they have not been able to convenience Amlogic there is a problem–so no solution in sight. Maybe the N3 will have the problem fixed.

@anon88919003 For projector owners the N2 +CoreELEC has a has a major shortcoming: No HDR to SDR BT2020 conversion like the Panasonic 820, only HDR to SDR 709.

And also the N2 doesn’t make coffee. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the N2 is most definitely inferior compared to a $500 device, in a very niche feature, that 99.9% of CE users won’t have any realistic use case for. It’s also not a problem with the hardware, as it supports any sort of HDR to SDR map you provide it with. Technically HDR to SDR BT2020 is possible.
We’ve been over this in another thread already. I don’t see how it’s a “major shortcoming”, but it would derail this thread off topic if we started this debate again.
Just to add, this isn’t a limitation of the Odroid N2, but it’s a limitation of the Amlogic drivers configuration, so it applies to all Amlogic devices, not just the N2.

Indeed. Then that’s what they should have provided with the board, instead of selling it with a sub spec one. It would have been better to supply no PSU instead. I’m not complaining as it looks like it was essentially freely included. But a strange move as I said.

The only time I see my N2 using any appreciable power is when software decoding. If you’re not running any power hungry USB devices and use HW decoding everywhere it could probably run on a power supply even a lot less than 1.5A.

I used my N2 with an 1A power supply for weeks without any problem because I didn’t use any usb device except an air mouse. But I think it could work with an 500mA too with the same use case.

Exactly what is this USB3 “fix” I’ve seen talk about? I’m assuming it’s forcing EHCI instead of XHCI? I’m curious because I don’t use any USB3 devices on my N2, and I’m wondering if it’d be a solution to the one issue I’ve had (X-input devices seem to be limited to 3).

Read beginning of this thread.

OP here. Thanks for all the comments, It’s been really helpful! Thanks for letting me know about the issues some people are experiencing with the N2!