Khadas VIM3 testbuilds

No, it isn’t.
If you want a smooth GUI at 4K@60fps, you should look at a PC with a discrete GPU.
I really like the Asrock A300, pair it with a Ryzen 2200G or 2400G, and you should be good to go.

Pity ! Thanks for the advice, but for financial and dimensional reasons, I’m going to wait for the next generation of Amlogic, which must have been the right one. Today with the S922, I’m at + -32fps, the next will be good.

Both have their pros and cons but both are very very good devices.

N2
+Cheaper
+Better cooling
+More USB ports (4 USB3)
-Bigger
-No builtin wifi/bt/emmc

KVIM3
+Smaller
+Slightly faster
+Built in wifi/bt/emmc
-More expensive
-Less USB (1 USB3)
-Runs hotter

Both are the two preferred and most compatible devices with CoreELEC as all the developers here have either 1 or both of these boards.

3 Likes

What do you mean by “faster” ? Framerate ? Startup speed ? Latency ?

We have a comparisons between the VIM3 and N2:

Yes, the N2 with better thermal performance due to it’s large heatsink, for VIM3 might need an extra 3705 cooling fan to reach the similar thermal performance, but higher cost there :wink:

Have fun!

2 Likes

Worth adding that CE runs perfectly fine without the fan, A311D runs pretty cool in comparison to say the S912.

I use the VIM3 as my daily driver without the fan but I do have the small heatsink and the case with the metal plate.

If you want one of the best devices available and money is no object then VIM3 4GB is the one to go for, it certainly won’t disappoint, it’s a huge jump over S905/912/905X2 if your still using one of those.

4 Likes

Happy to hear that VIM3 runs well without the fan from CE team which proving the feedback from Khadas stuff. 4 days to go!

When is this little thing available on Khadas Taobao shop, and the price in ¥?Any zhekou(discount) for pre-order? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes, the VIM3 are available on Taobao now, but not with pre-order/promotion price as we already completed the VIM3 mass production now.

Have fun!

1 Like

I mean the 3705 fan not the VIM3.

Can we remove the emmc, if not, how to install CE?

Emmc is not removable. Install CE to an sd card.

Ok,
There is no way to install on the emmc ?

Please read as this topic was already discussed.

1 Like

How about USB flash disk?I need android and CE both, USB flash is more durable than SD card for constantly plug in/out to switch OS. Am i right?

Installing on USB flash drive works and this is my personal preferred method and what I currently use.

1 Like

I guess this can be achieved on the Odroid N2 as well? Right?

You can boot from USB with Petitboot on N2.

Confused by this! Khadas stuff said VIM3 can not be booted by USB even in upgrade mode, only SD card can boot in upgrade mode. How you make this???

Considering the Andrioid on eMMC and the CE on USB flash.
Can i freely switch between Android and CE by pluging in/out USB flash???

I can boot CE from USB stick. But Android upgrade didn’t work from USB stick only from SD card.

1 Like