LG OLED 65B8 No video HDR content [Solved Bad Quality HDMI Cable]

I’m running version 8.95.7

If I disable auto switching with nothing selected in whitelist when I play HDR content the TV will display HDR In the top right corner for a few seconds as play back starts.

If I turn back on auto switching as reccomended here again with nothing in the white list selected, the TV may show HDR but then will go to no signal on the display, I then have to stop playback before I get back to see the GUI.

If I then whitelist all 4k modes apart from 4096x2160p 24hz and 4096x2160 23.98hz the same issue occurs as mentioned in the last paragraph above.

I then have to whitelist the modes above for what I assume is 4k HDR 10 bit (TV displays HDR) for it to display the movie with auto switching turned on. Not sure why it’s wanting to use the 4096x2160p modes (24&23.98hz) though unless that’s what HDR is? I’m new to HDR and 4K.

I have followed your instructions to a T even bought a new premium certified HDMI cable to no avail it still does the same, I cannot get it to display with auto switching on so not sure if whitelisting those 4k modes is also working in 10bit all I know is whitelisting is the only way to get 4k HDR working with a picture on the screen with the auto switching enabled.

Here is a script that will help show more information about what is happening.

dispinfo2.sh

Use the following to get it on the device and make it executable.

wget https://discourse.coreelec.org/uploads/default/original/1X/a22d7f0fb8a08caa15a63dc8a5dad51c8befbf43.sh -O /storage/dispinfo2.sh
chmod 755 /storage/dispinfo2.sh

then it’s just a a matter of the following to run the script

/storage/dispinfo2.sh

This will collect display info and post it to a pastebin site, providing you will a url you can post here.

alternately you can see just the current video mode with the following.

cat  /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

So if you run either while the video is playing it will show what video mode your device is trying to use, at the point you ran the command.

Thank you. I will look into that but still doesn’t explain why the auto switching doesn’t work?

The fact you’re getting ‘No signal’ means it’s working. It just seems to switch into a mode your TV can’t display/doesn’t support. So output from cdu13a’s instructions will let us better understand what’s wrong.

But then what’s the point of auto switch if it switches to a mode the TV doesn’t like? As I say whitelisting all the 4k modes works so it must then switch to the same mode that it does by Auto switching?

@richardc1983 please follow the instructions given to you by @cdu13a here, this will help us understand what is going on and then we may be able to explain why auto switching is not working as it should with your display. We can’t help you further without this.

Only do it whilst you have the black screen whilst attempting to play a video.

Ok so here are two lots of results, the first one is with “whitelist enabled” and the “4k resolutions selected” and “auto switching” enabled. This way plays the movie ok and we see pictures on the screen. Please note this is with the tv turned off as I am doing this remotely as not at home, will post results later when I am home with the TV turned on.

LOUNGE-PA:~ # cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config
cur_VIC: 98
VIC: 98 4096x2160p24hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV444
Colour range: limited
EOTF: HDR10
YCC colour range: limited
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
audio config: on
3D config: off

This next set of results shows everything in the whitelist removed and auto switching left on - when we see a black screen no signal. Please note this is with the tv turned off as I am doing this remotely as not at home, will post results later when I am home with the TV turned on.

cur_VIC: 93
VIC: 93 3840x2160p24hz

That is odd. At 24P the TV should be able to accept a YUV444 signal. My B7 has no issues with that.
I suggest you check if UHD Deep Color is enabled on that HDMI port.

Yes it is enabled and automatically re enables it if I turn it off. Tried the other ports also.

Do you have the box connected directly to the TV or do you have an AVR?
It’s also possible that for whatever reason, the TV refuses to accept a 4K@24P YUV444 signal, although it’s still within spec.
@cdu13a could you please help with disabling auto-switch and manually set the box to output YUV422, and see if that has any effect?

The script I posted can you run it and post the url it provides. While the output of cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config is useful. We need the script ran at least once to get the additional info it provides.

Ok so updated results with the TV powered on: TV is connected directly to the box. Tried each hdmi input and all the same.

Whitelist empty and auto switching on - no signal message on screen…

cur_VIC: 93
VIC: 93 3840x2160p24hz
Colour depth: 8-bit
PLL clock: 0xc000027b, Vid clock div 0x000a339c
LOUNGE-PA:~ # /storage/dispinfo2.sh
http://ix.io/1ylQ

NOW with whitelist highlighted for 4k modes and auto switching turned on as default same movie as above, we get the film shown on screen and HDR displayed by the TV…

CoreELEC (official): 8.95.7 (S912.arm)
cur_VIC: 98
VIC: 98 4096x2160p24hz
LOUNGE-PA:~ # /storage/dispinfo2.sh
http://ix.io/1ylV

No idea how to do that

Can you try playing the following.

and let us know if you have any problems with either.

Tried playing both connecting go my NAS through the network and both play fine.

Attempt to play them back through Kodi though and get no signal message unless the 4096x2160p resolutions are whitelisted. So even though it’s 3840x2160 Kodi still seems to send it out at 4096 if that resolution is whitelisted, it then displays fine on the TV and is watchable no problem.

@richardc1983 I have moved your posts to a thead of their own.

I have a feeling that you may be whitelisting the resolutions the wrong way round as what your describing should not be happening.

Can you take a screenshot of your whitelist settings, you can enter kodi-send --action="TakeScreenshot" via the console to do this and then access it in /storage/screenshots/.

See below, I’ve tried everything from just enabling the 24hz 3840x2160 on its own with none of the others enabled, still - no signal. Had 4096x2160 taken out of the list last night at the latest test but nothing worked.

Any update at all guys?

Ok.
Disable automatic color depth switching.
Make sure that 4096x2160 options are NOT checked, the 3840x2160 options are checked.
And try the following command in SSH:
echo '10bit,422' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

Then start the video and see what happens.

Whether you get a signal or not, also post output from
cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config while playing.