LG OLED 65B8 No video HDR content [Solved Bad Quality HDMI Cable]

You need to read reviews Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: HDMI Cable 8K / 4K – 3m – with A.I.S Shielding – Designed in Germany (supports all HDMI devices like PS5, Xbox, Switch – 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz, High Speed HDMI lead with Ethernet, black) – CableDirect This new one is Garbage Brand as well.
Try Amazon Basics or Monoprice.

I spent time researching last night others said that it worked.

When I check the Amazon basics one it comes out the same people say it’s not supporting 4k 60fps etc.

Only need a 3m one.

Monoprice makes very good hdmi certified, inexpensive cables. It’s an American company, so you may have to order on Amazon.com.

I have this cable:

Working perfectly

N2 -> Onkyo TXNR676E -> LG C8

Are the Amazon basic cables any good? Only need 2 to 2.5.

Amazon Basics should be good (I have 4 2m ones and never had issues with them), but they are not officially HDMI certified.

Well it seems that paying through the nose for the best cable on Amazon doesn’t necessarily mean you are going to get something that works. The problem is most of these people selling these things have no idea what they are selling. I had a guys in TV/HIFI shops try and sell me 1M Gold plated Toslink cables at £15+ claiming they have a better connection and lower losses and give better sound quality than a cheap £2 one.

… don’t forget the snake oil :crazy_face:

I think I’m sold on Amazon Basics cables. I could not find a USB-C to USB-A adapter that would actually make a USB SuperSpeed connection (3.1 gen 1). I tried an Amazon Basics adapter (that was pretty cheap BTW) and it works perfect. I bought a bunch more of them.

Using CoreElec 9.2.0 (Mini M8S II S905X box) I’m having trouble playing a grab from BBC iPlayer, Seven Worlds One Planet… information about the video says “this is HLG HDR, It is different from HDR10. Unless your TV supports the HLG Standard, this file will play in SDR. If your TV does support HLG HDR this will play in HDR otherwise it will play in SDR.”

My TV is an LG OLED B8, which supposedly does support all forms of HDR. With other content, a little HDR icon comes up when playing a HDR file, but with this video, it does not, indicating it is stuck in SDR mode. In fact, when I play the content via the iPlayer app, the TV correctly switches to “HLG HDR” mode.

I don’t think its my cables as other HDR stuff plays fine. What do you reckon guys? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Run the video through mediainfo and give us the results also if you put in on a pen drive does it play correctly on the TV

1 Like

HLG is not supported on 3.14 kernel.

1 Like

Plays directly from USB stick in TV, but same as CoreElec, not in HDR.

[spolier]
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 7.99 GiB
Duration : 59 min 8 s
Overall bit rate : 19.3 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-11-06 23:58:03
Writing application : mkvmerge v35.0.0 (‘All The Love In The World’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.9 + libmatroska v1.5.2

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 59 min 3 s
Bit rate : 18.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.090
Stream size : 7.72 GiB (97%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : BT.2020 (10-bit)
transfer_characteristics_Original : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
[/spolier]

@RowanCE, can you please use MKVToolNix to make a 100MB sample and send it to me for testing on both S905X and S922X? Thanks!

One more thing, the series will be released on Blu-ray with HDR10 and Dolby Atmos in February 2020 (Source: Blu-ray.com - Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K Blu-ray):+1:

1 Like

@CI6N0Z sample here mate:

https://mega.nz/#!lfAnlaJa!LFEmNlhC-qeWL126TnlMfroiPCg2BDy7M-EVsaCghEo

and thanks for info on BR release. :slight_smile:

The sample works on My TV if I cast it and if I play it using a MagicSee N5 Max S905X2. As TheCoolest said 3.14 Kernel the one used in S905X boxes may not work. S905x2 use a later Kernel. Have you tried selecting the file using the box pressing menu the play with … [Your TV]

1 Like

3.14 kernel definitely doesn’t support HLG. I think the hardware has HLG support, but it’s not supported by the kernel.

1 Like

Have you tried selecting the file using the box pressing menu the play with … [Your TV]

Thanks but I don’t seem to have that option in the context menu.

is your TV not a DNLA Player ? If so you should get a Play With in the context menu.

Hi, were you able to fix this issue? I have an LG oled b8 too and am facing the same fault. When I try to play 4k hdr Dolby Atmos videos, it crashes on some of them - it works fine on others. The crash is always at the start after the HDR logo pops up - it then loses signal and I have no way to go back to the box.

Thanks, hoping it was just a cable issue.