Matrix - wrong output mode set on boot

There even is an example for 1080p60 in config.ini. Only problem is, it doesn’t work. At least not on my TV, an older LG non4k. This workaround does, so all is well what ends well.

? It does work, or does not work?

Editing config.ini doesn’t work. This workaround does.

something I noticed:

CE does seem to detect hot-plugging of HDMI and does something I don’t quite understand and maybe someone can enlighten me on this. when I boot my box with the workaround and turn on the display much later, it does seem to only complete boot or loading of Kodi when the HDMI sink gets connected.

my reason for thinking so is that when I do finally turn on the display I get the notifications from the addons right afterwards (in may case: auto update in x minutes, Netflix background services started, trakt sync). so it does seem to wait at least with the notifications for a display that would actually show them.

anyone knows why it does that? I don’t think that has to do with the underlying problem but maybe this functionality can guide us to a real fix. or maybe I will just learn something.

Thx for the workaround, I have the same error on X96 Max+ and an older LG TV connected with hdmi. (celec 9.2.5 and 9.2.7 works without a workaround)

I created a gist too for a more general version. (i have 720p60hz resolution)

#!/bin/sh

# Workaround for CoreELEC 19.x-Matrix green screen error when TV switched on
# after the tv box.
#
# Tested on:
#   - X96 Max+ (CoreELEC 19.0, 19.1 rc1/rc2)
#
# Original idea from user dasdreHmomenT on
# https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/matrix-wrong-output-mode-set-on-boot/15142
#
# File location: ~/.config/autostart.sh

display_mode_file="/sys/class/display/mode"
original_value=$(cat "$display_mode_file")

temp_value1="720p50hz"
temp_value2="720p60hz"

if [ "$original_value" = "$temp_value1" ]; then
    echo "$temp_value2" > "$display_mode_file"
else
    echo "$temp_value1" > "$display_mode_file"
fi

echo "$original_value" > "$display_mode_file"
2 Likes

I have the same problem with my S905X3-Boxes (HK1 and H96 Max X3) on two different TVs. Green, purple, etc. screen when TV is started.

Older Boxes (S905X, S905D) appear to not suffer from this problem.

This exactly I also asked myself for a long time. I just switch on power to the tv while the tv box has been running for hours already and nevertheless it appears as the box also had just started.

Thanks for the idea. This helps if my avr is down. I have a remote power off switch, and avr needs a manual press of a button. Therefore it is off by default and to late to start.
Now I can start remotely again, start the act and have the correct picture.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.