Menu items - one per source

Hi. I’m a relative newbie when it comes to Kodi. I have several different video sources - separate shares on my Synology Diskstation. I want to have a separate custom menu item for each one, rather than have them all appear under videos, TV etc.
Any help most appreciated.

add one source, give it a name, when it asks you the type, select movies, then under settings exclude the folders you do not want to be scanned. Do this for each source.

it depends on the skin, how you get each source to show up on the home screen.

Thanks. But I don’t want to exclude any folders from any source. Say I have these separate sources (separate NAS shares) - movies, TV1, TV2, TV3. I would like to have a separate home menu item for each one, rather than select ‘movies’ and see all of them. I have tried a couple of skins, and can’t seem to get it happening. Some say I need to start with setting up smart playlists - believe it or not, I could not find a simple newbie guide for that.
Any skin recommendation appreciated. Thanks

then don’t exclude folders.

I use MQ8, but it is resource hungry & a bit complicated to fine tune.

choose a skin, then go to configure, then, modify home screen, or something like that.

If you can’t get a skin to do what you want, then try another skin, etc

as a work around, make each source a favourite, IF you can.

Thanks - those are the things I have already tried.

you might get more help on the kodi forum under skins

Hi. I’m a relative newbie when it comes to Kodi. I have several different video sources - separate shares on my Synology Diskstation. I want to have a separate custom menu item for each one, rather than have them all appear under videos, TV etc.
I have tried a few different skins and played around, but can’t seem to get anywhere.
As a comparison, Plex does it perfectly. But I don’t want to use Plex.
Any help most appreciated.

So I’m giving Aeon Nox SiLVO a try - when I go to video/playlists, it says ‘path not found or invalid’.
My video sources are all remote NAS shares added as NFS.

If I go to ‘files’, all are accessible and contents playable.

Did you post this on the kodi forum like I suggested?

Although you might get help here.

I have a syno with nfs. So, you add videos, browse, then follow path, ie diskstation (192.168.x.x) then can you go through the folders to eg movies?

If you can’t browse, are the folders on the nas setup as shared? Have you put the nas password in?

I can browse. As I said - they are set up on the NAS as shares. I have no problems adding shares, accessing via ‘files’ in Kodi, etc.
I have no issue with setting up the NAS, or most anything else. Other media players, etc. I’m an experienced IT guy.
My struggle here is purely with Kodi. I can see all my content in Kodi. This is about separating it, so that every video source’s content does not show up under one item. ie. via custom menu items, and all that is required to get them set up - whether that be with playlists and/or nodes or something. Thanks.

But not to worry - I have finally found the guide I have been searching for.

Ok, when you said, path not found, I thought you couldn’t see the shares.

What you are trying to do, I did a similar thing with netflix. i added it to the main menu. I used Aeon Tajo.
I made Netflix a favourite, & added it to the main menu. I didn’t use playlists. I can’t remember exactly how, I now use MQ8.

Can you post the link, to help me learn . Thanks

Here it is. But I ended up using favourites instead of playlists. https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo

And the sources needed to be added by explicitly entering the SMB server name or IP, rather than having Kodi detect it

Thanks, & I’m glad you got it sorted.

1 Like