Migrate from SD to EMMC

Hello, I’ve been running CoreELEC for over 3 years now, and all this time I’ve used the SD card. I have never once booted to the android I have on my x96 mini.

Recently, I started having issues with YouTube videos loading and buffering after 1 second. My suspicion is that the SD card is dying, and the writing of the buffer (I’m guessing here) to the SD card takes too much time due to bad sectors or low storage usable.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I was thinking that if I was able to copy the existing installation from the SD card to the eMMC, that won’t be an issue, and maybe I’ll get faster load times as well.

Just to mention, streaming from my NAS works fine even on 1080p, and this is a rather fresh install when I created 19.1 I think on the SD card, so it’s not the same image I stared with. It’s also now an Amlogic -ng which is one of the reasons I switched to the new image.

My question is, is this possible to do, and if let’s say the eMMC won’t boot correctly can I still boot from my SD card? Or is the whole bootloader getting corrupted?

Thanks

If you have issues with youtube then update to latest alpha from here:

It should fix buffering issue until next yt addon release

Thank you for the reply, 2 questions though:

1. How will I update to the alpha? And 2. Regardless of YouTube, will installing to the eMMC have any benefit, aside from stability compared to an SD card that can die.

Slightly faster load times and loading of big file lists. Should be consistently more reliable going forward and less susceptible to damage caused by power outages which can corrupt SD cards. Can see no real downsides.
The tool is ceemmc which is bundled with CE.

Shoog

This is not true, both are prone to damage by sudden power disconnection.
SD and eMMC are managed memories, and quite similar. The only advantage on eMMC is the increased bandwith due to higher buswidth and shorter pcb traces…

So is it possible to migrate from the SD to the eMMC? I looked at the ceeMMC tool instructions, and the only copy and migrate I found were either from dual boot to single boot on the eMMC, or from the eMMC to the SD card.

Also, how can I update to the YouTube alpha for now? What’s the best way to do that?

Manual installation from .zip

Yes, for sure, see https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/how-to-use-the-team-coreelec-ceemmc-tool
The only issues may be that you have an X96 device, which may work, but isn’t supported officially.

I did look at that, as I stated, I only found options that refer to single and dual boot installations, or from eMMC to SD. not the other way around.

And to refer back to my original question, if something goes wrong with the eMMC, will it still boot from the SD? Or is the bootloader dependent on the eMMC install?

Just read again.

[No CoreELEC installation on eMMC]

Install in single boot mode, only CoreELEC on eMMC
Use CoreELEC data from
[3] current used SD or USB device
Install CoreELEC on eMMC and remove Android from the device.
Only boot of CoreELEC is possible.
The maximum of memory of the eMMC is used.

Bootorder is eMMC, then SD (in case eMMC is corrupt). You can always enforce boot from SD by toothpick method.

1 Like

Ceemmc worked fine on my early X96Air, no issues. I only copied the CE install from SD as I had no interest in Android.
Its sometimes necessary to run it twice to get it to work.

Shoog

Which command did you run in order to copy from the SD to eMMC?

SSH into the box an issue the command:

ceemmc -x

Follow the on screen instructions.

e2fsck 1.45.7 (28-Jan-2021)
Error running pclose on cmd: e2fsck -fy /dev/loop3. Error: 1
Error executing cmd ‘e2fsck -fy /dev/loop3’
Failed to resize partition ‘CE_STORAGE’!

That’s what I got when I tried following the instructions on the screen.

Things just worked for me. I heard that there was an issue with ceemac on some of the recent nighly builds but not on the stable builds. Someone with more technical knowledge of the ceemmc tool will have to chime in.

However be warned - ceemmc clearly states that the CE team will not offer technical support for this devise using this tool.

Shoog

Reboot the box and run command again. And copy/paste whole output you get not just last few lines.

What’s the difference between the 6 assets ?

One for Matrix and other for Leia, see addons name
As for official and unofficial:

But this is a little bit offtopic for this post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.