N2+ Fresh install issues

Yes, I already stated that for me.
i’m asking because i want to know, why isn’t ssd a good solution in general?

It is a “good solution in general” but not best :wink:
Attached devices are usually inferior to built_in or on_board ones.

in my experience ssd for n2 and n2+ is faster than all other options.
The biggest problem I have is the boot problem on some linux OSes. but I never had this problem in coreelec. I guess the usb-sata adapter changes a lot of good-bad experiences.

I’ve been using 3 different coreelecs on the same ssd for two years, which version is better and I try without any problems.

Got new Sandisk Ultra and N2 is blazing fast now. Thanks

2 Likes

Did you ever did the CEC issues, @matthew6870 ?

I’m on a fresh install on the card I got from odroid UK, and it never responds anymore.

Also, @istanbulls , I’ve tried searching, can you recommend a good USB 3 install guide for coreelec and the n2+ that is a web site, not a video? I would consider a £25 Kingston with a cheap adapter, of its simple enough to do!

Have you checked the CoreELEC Wiki?

Sometimes after I switch on the TV, CEC isn’t working. So I pick a phone and navigate in menu via Kore app, but in less than minute it fixes itself and I can use the TV’s remote again.

Don’t understand why but I got used to it.

1 Like

IR-Keytables is a far more reliable way of controlling your Kodi box, you can program just about any remote to work with it (including your TV remote though this creates a few issues with menu access) and it offers far richer functionality than CEC.

I have all my remotes programmed to work with all of my Kodi-boxes including the N2 - they are fully interchangable.

Shoog

1 Like

Dear All,

I have now received my Odroid N2+ 4G with Wifi dongle and have followed the different steps:

• update of Petitboot
  • install Android on eMMC

When the switch is on eMMC, it will boot normally on Android and it works fine (Wifi…) except no sound at all for the moment. :unamused:

I then burnt the CE image to an SD card (Sandisk Ultra) and inserted it, put on SPI and startup.
Petitboot did not show up and after some time the CE loading screen appeared and stayed for a quite a while (3-5min)
CoreElec starts and works fine excepted that Wifi is not detected, do you know why?

I try to Power off system, and it again stays very long time one the power off screen and eventually stops.
Is there something I did wrong or is this normal behavior?
I cannot understand why it is directly booting on CE and why loading times both at startup and shutdown can be so long.

Thanks for your support

Those sort of delays usually mean that the system is trying to obtain a IP address and it will wait for a set amount of time before giving up, since its not detecting the WIFI then it can’t get an IP. Try using a LAN cable for initial tests to see if it removes the delay - then you can sort out your WIFI issue.

Shoog

1 Like

If you are able to boot, you can turn wait for network off in CoreELEC settings. That should speed up startup. From there you’ll have to start troubleshooting why your WiFi connection isn’t working.

Is the switch still set to SPI instead of MMC?

1 Like

Thank you guys for such a fast and great support!

I connected with ethernet and as you expected loading times are much faster so this seems to be the root cause. I need to see why Wifi does not work for now.

About booting, yes the switch is always on SPI and I try with and without the eMMC on the board and I get same behavior, PetitBoot is not appearing at all.
I suspect for some reason my TV is not able to display PB?? I’m saying this because at startup the screen remains black and as if there was no signal at all from the N2.

The way the N2+ works with SPIBoot is that it loads the kernel off the emmc before handing off to the chosen boot media, as such its possible to run a different kernel to the one packaged with CE which can then introduce hardware errors which would not be present within a pure CE install.
Remove the emmc module and allow allow the system to boot off the SD card alone and see if the issue persists.

Shoog

Petitboot is a very minimal linux kernel and has very poor HDMI handshacking. As such it can easily just present a blank or garbled screen if it fails to identify your TV’s native resolution. It can also be quite buggy from version to version. Your options are to try the last few ones burning it by using a SD card with the spiboot.img in the root partition - try them until one works the later versions are generally better but they can break things on fresh releases. Or you can try on different TV’s or even better on a monitor with HDMI input.

Shoog

1 Like

I think you are right because I tested with a pc screen and I could see Petitboot. It’s probably a matter of detecting my TV resolution.
I’ll search the odroid forum on that topic. Thanks

Out of curiosity did the N2+ come with Petitboot preinstalled or did you install it yourself.
Most people are better off without it.

Shoog

yes it was preinstalled. I just did an update first before installing the OS’s

Was that direct from Odroid it came preinstalled ?

I cannot confirm if it was directly installed by odroid, I got it from a reseller.

According to the Odroid wiki, Petitboot is the default software on the SPI memory.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/software/boot_sequence#boot_from_spi

1 Like