N2+ Fresh install issues

Thank you guys for such a fast and great support!

I connected with ethernet and as you expected loading times are much faster so this seems to be the root cause. I need to see why Wifi does not work for now.

About booting, yes the switch is always on SPI and I try with and without the eMMC on the board and I get same behavior, PetitBoot is not appearing at all.
I suspect for some reason my TV is not able to display PB?? I’m saying this because at startup the screen remains black and as if there was no signal at all from the N2.

The way the N2+ works with SPIBoot is that it loads the kernel off the emmc before handing off to the chosen boot media, as such its possible to run a different kernel to the one packaged with CE which can then introduce hardware errors which would not be present within a pure CE install.
Remove the emmc module and allow allow the system to boot off the SD card alone and see if the issue persists.

Shoog

Petitboot is a very minimal linux kernel and has very poor HDMI handshacking. As such it can easily just present a blank or garbled screen if it fails to identify your TV’s native resolution. It can also be quite buggy from version to version. Your options are to try the last few ones burning it by using a SD card with the spiboot.img in the root partition - try them until one works the later versions are generally better but they can break things on fresh releases. Or you can try on different TV’s or even better on a monitor with HDMI input.

Shoog

1 Like

I think you are right because I tested with a pc screen and I could see Petitboot. It’s probably a matter of detecting my TV resolution.
I’ll search the odroid forum on that topic. Thanks

Out of curiosity did the N2+ come with Petitboot preinstalled or did you install it yourself.
Most people are better off without it.

Shoog

yes it was preinstalled. I just did an update first before installing the OS’s

Was that direct from Odroid it came preinstalled ?

I cannot confirm if it was directly installed by odroid, I got it from a reseller.

According to the Odroid wiki, Petitboot is the default software on the SPI memory.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/software/boot_sequence#boot_from_spi

1 Like

Petitboot comes by default on all n2, n2+ and hc4.
So far I have used 5 different n2, n2+, hc4, I bought n2 and n2+ for many of my friends and I had no problems.
I love using Petitboot, I’m lucky it worked well with all the TV models and monitors I used, but a few of my friends had problems with their TV model.
So petitboot may not be compatible with some TVs.

Not all Petitboot firmware is created equal. Best is to try a few different versions and see which one works best.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.