Network connection issues on Odroid N2+

Problem with Contact
CoreELEC Team CoreELEC
Kodi Team Kodi
Kodi Add-on Add-on developper
Hardware Hardware manufacturer
Network CoreELEC Wiki (*)

(*) Troubleshooting network issues is a complex issue. This article provides limited support and links to 3rd party websites for advanced troubleshooting.

I did a test on my N2+ and experience no issues on my network what so ever running the lastest version of CoreELEC.

Thanks so much for the info. I definitely understand the fact that this is a complex issue. And yes, I had already seen that section of the Wiki which you linked to, but doesnā€™t hurt to have another look so I appreciate you linking it. At least 1 other person has mentioned experiencing a similar issue so next steps I am going to take are trying out a clean install of 19.5 (starting with rc2, then 19.5 Final), as that person had mentioned they only started seeing issues on 20.0. How did you test on your N2+? I know there are a few different tools so Iā€™m curious to know what you used. Might be worth checking to see if it yields any different results.

So thanks to the input from the community here, I definitely have some ideas for things to try, which Iā€™m going to get started on today as soon as I get off work.

But my immediate issue is still that I have a CoreElec team member asking me for logs, but even after reading the Wiki many times, I donā€™t know what to do for this particular complex issue after enabling debug logging and restarting my device. And that person is not responding to my requests for what they would like for me to do.

Here are the only things I can think of based on the information I have

1. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run ethtool eth0 command
    • I donā€™t this this would work because I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs
  2. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py 20 | python command
    • I donā€™t this this would work because I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs
  3. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run some kind of iPerf command
    • I donā€™t think this would work because number one, I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs. And number two, I have never used iPerf and am still a little confused after reading the docs, but I believe it does not fit this use case since from what I can tell, it seems to be for debugging the connection between 2 devices, and not internet speed
  4. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m command
    • This might work because I think it prompts the CE Network Tools addon to run a script, which likely would output something in the debug logs
  5. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > toggle the Active connection off/on
    • This might work because I think it would likely output some sort of info to the debug log but I donā€™t think it would be anything helpful
  6. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > run the Kodi Speedtester add-on
    • This might work because I think it would likely output some sort of info to the debug log

Those are the best ideas I can come up with. I have read the Wiki and am not just trying to be lazy here. The first and only other time I have ever posted on this forum I provided a debug log in the first message without anyone needing to ask me because I had read the Wiki. But since it is explicitly acknowledged that this particular issue is a complex one, I do not know what the appropriate steps are for getting debug logs for this issue. So when a team member asked I inquired as to what that would be. I am trying to get help, from one human being to another, in a support community that supposed to be designed to help others. So it would be really helpful if someone with knowledge could say what those steps should be. Weather I have identified it in any of the 1-6 ideas I have been able to think of, or weather it is something else that I havenā€™t thought of. As soon as someone tells me I can get to work producing those logs and hopefully move this forward. :pray:

[rant]Really, you have so many ideas but you keep asking and complaining instead of just providing the bloody output of all of your ideas alreadyā€¦ and please donā€™t reply with another text of 100 lines when in the same time it takes you to write you could have run the tests and produced SOME logs.[/rant]

Sure I can definitely do that! Iā€™m at work right but as soon as I get off I will go ahead and just try all the ideas I had and post the results! Thank you! :heart:

I wasnā€™t trying to complain though, so I apologize if it came across that way. Iā€™m, honest to God, just trying to get an answer to my question. Everything I tried my best to come up with for examples was just me guessing, I have no idea what Iā€™m doing really. I am about 3 weeks into using this product and everything is still very new to me. So I was asking for help from others who know what information would and would not be helpful, what information they would like me to provide. @Portisch is the one who asked originally, so Iā€™m not exactly understanding why they canā€™t tell me what they would like? Because maybe none of my ideas are helpful. And they have a completely different command in mind.

Canā€™t we all just be kind to one another? Iā€™m struggling to understand why I am feeling some passive aggressiveness coming from @Portisch when I just want some help for his fantastic product.

I love this community, by and large. I have been able to find soooo many answers on here as I have started my journey in using CoreELEC. And I definitely hope to try and give back to it as much as I can by answering others questions as I learn more. I want to always be nice and kind and I hope others on here feel the same way :heart:

Thank you for your help @HeresJohnny, logs coming ASAP!

In the words of the late great Saint-ExupƩry - judge them by their acts and not by their words. Words: Sarcasm, argumentative, false kindness. Acts that further your goal: none. Summary so far: Troll.

Here are the resulting debug logs of the various ideas I had to try to reproduce the issue. There was one that I couldnā€™t get to work properly, noted below

1. ethtool eth0: http://ix.io/4nw2
  2. curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py 20 | python: http://ix.io/4nw3
  3. iperf3 -s: http:// ix. io/ 4nw7
  4. stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m: This did not work for me- I got the following output - Network Tools are installed
CoreELEC:~ # stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m
-sh: stress-ng: not found
  1. Toggling connection on/off: http:// ix. io/4nw8
  2. Running Kodi Speedtester add-on: http:// ix. io/4nw9

I have no clue if any of these will provide anything useful, they were all best guesses on my part, so if @Portisch or anyone has a command that would produce more useful logs please let me know and I will run it ASAP

Thanks, all!

P.S. Sorry for the lack of hyperlinks, it gave me an error that new users could only add 2 links per post. Take the spaces out of the ones not hyperlinked.

Thanks will do! Does it need to be on the eMMC in order to test this properly or would SD card produce the same result?

After 2 days of testing out this dtb I am pretty confident this has resolved the issue! Thanks so much for the quick fix!

1 Like

@Portisch I have marked this as solved. The thread is still set to hidden, can you unhide please so it may help others?

Whatā€™s the difference between g12b_s922x_odroid_n2l.dtb and g12b_s922x_odroid_n2.dtb ?

?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2l

Right, sorryā€¦ forgot about that deviceā€¦ Thought about ā€œlā€ as in ā€œlarge memoryā€ for a moment :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.