Nightly builds (NEW)

i can only confirm in my perception that the hdr display is significantly better at sdr to hdr. the picture is livelier, the driving is more natural, as is desired at hdr. the tv must of course support this, otherwise you will not have this result.

i honestly don’t understand the discussion either because the sdr to hdr can be deactivated optionally. I find the gui scaling to 4k superfluous, since a current 4k tv or av receiver offers this as a standard function.

by the way sdr to hdr is supported by the hardware, why shouldn’t you use it optionally if you want it?

The only reason it’s on the ATV is that when the ATV was released Apple was too lazy to add SDR/HDR auto switching and forced everybody to watch everything in HDR mode regardless of weather the content was HDR or not… It wasn’t until people complained that they finally added proper SDR/HDR switching (and framerate switching). Just because Apple has something doesn’t make it right.

SDR content should never be watched in HDR mode. It’s like the people who insist on watching 4:3 content stretched out to 16:9 because they don’t like the black bar down the side.

But sure if people want to watch content in fake color mode then they should have that option :laughing:

4 Likes

Because it distorts original picture colors :wink:

1 Like

4:3 to 16:9 stretching is something completely different, circle and egg obviously look different. however, the color perception is individual.

even that is a matter of opinion -> who decides that the original colors are the right ones - or better liked.

I think you can leave the decision using SDR2HDR or HDR2SDR to the user. The point is: the two options were present in CE and both worked. Since a few nightlies they do not work any longer and I have not seen any notes in the changelog. were they removed by mistake?

my use case on my Odroid-N2 is:
my LG TV from 2015 does support “Ultra HD Deep Color” st the HDMI inputs (some kind of HDR) , but this is not announced in the EDID-info. So CE sees my TV as a SDR-display. For feeding a HDR movie to my TV I have to disable HDR2SDR. But now HDR2SDR is set to auto, so it is impossible that my TV sees the HDR.

In addition the HDR2SDR function gives sometimes nasty artifacts in the picture (depends on the picture content), which are NOT present in the original movie. I reported this already here, but @anon88919003 said that it is not possible to correct it (see Artifacts with HDR2SDR function)
So please restore HDR2SDR and SDR2HDR functionality as before!

1 Like

That is certainly not a question of opinion, the movie MUST look as directors intended it to look! No color, brightness or any other distortion!

1 Like

sdr to hdr does not distort anything for me -> in doubt there is the possibility to deactivate the function

There is no exact algorithm to convert SDR to HDR. It is mostly a guessing game. The box doesn’t know anything about your tv panel’s capability so if you want to use it then better if you turn it on your tv. That will be not perfect either but theoretically it can do better job.
I agree with you about to fix the functionality of these swithces but I don’t recommend to use the SDR2HDR at all.
The HDR2SDR is useful when you have an SDR tv and want to watch a HDR movie.

I personally do not use SDR2HDR, only setting HDR2SDR to ON or OFF.
Please restore the functionality of the switches, thnx.

I’m in the process of looking into the sdr2hdr not working. It seems that amlogic changed some of the logic behind how the sdr2hdr and hdr2sdr functions get enabled.

3 Likes

‌In my use case VIM3/Vizio M65 (2016) Yamaha AVR I look at SDRtoHDR as a picture improvement on blu-ray material similar to setting my AVR to matrix 7.2 sound with a 5.1 blu-ray audio stream. I also agree that ideally I want to view the video as the director intended. But I don’t think the director had my rig and room environment in mind when he made the movie. None of the blu-ray material I have where I actually attended the movie is close to what I saw on the movie screen - UHD is getting close in my opinion. I hope the option is left in as (for me) its a picture improvement for blu-rays - the aerial screen savers aren’t bad either :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks… :grinning:

thanks - i think the way is right - so everyone can decide for themselves what they like better

I also think discussio SDR2HDR yes or no is not much relevant. Its like 23.976 vs counted middleframes / soap opera effect. We can agree, what is “the norm” (and myself I am within conservative category), but some people like higher saturation, higher FPS etc. For my father sport channel satured looks better, for me, watching BBC Seven Worlds so oversatured (as I am more used to raw photography and color balancing) is just sad, and saturated TV channel hurting my habit to see things more natural. Some people like less dramatic soap opera effect and cant stand less framerate (I as retired FPS player can notice immediately any framerate difference, my mother doesnt recognize anything). For some people with lower contrast image with projector, due to too bright room/surface could also have better result with overcontrasted and saturated settings. And so on and so on. As I said, personally I dont even know, how those transitions of original color range looks @HDR TV, but I dont have reason to not believe that some users found this beneficial despite warnings.

TL/DR: I think we can all agree, that “pure” solution should be always present, but safe (in term overall functionality) richer available options - better for all users (everyone can just choose their preferably choice).

So I welcome any SDR <-> HDR mapping, with warning some transformations are not standardized and could result in wrong result, even when I even do not own HDR TV (yet? nah, 4k projector would be first in future anyway, but I am happy with 1080).

I bet that devs presented those additional features when they worked, and as be mentioned, they are aware of some problems coming from recent commits, so I believe they will worked this out, or (temporary) disable non-working features.

1 Like

so a joint solution is better than a dictation - thanks for your understanding

It’s not a final fix to the sdr2hdr not doing anything issue, but I just pushed a patch that will be included for tonight’s nightly build for testing that should make the sdr2hdr setting work again, for the people that want always on HDR.

3 Likes

I hope the HDR2SDR will also be configurable again…
Not only SDR2HDR, isn’t it?

I added the SDR2HDR stuff to be tested first because it was the first one that I figured out a possible solution for.

I’m still looking for a way to make it so that HDR2SDR is configurable again. Currently it seems to be always on for displays that don’t support HDR.

I will post an update once I figure out a solution to HDR2SDR being always on.

If anybody wants to continue to debate their opinions for or against the use of SDR2HDR or HDR2SDR, can you please make a separate post in the general section of the forum instead of cluttering up the Nightly Build thread. That way it’s easier to see what is working and what is not working when reading this thread.

thanks,

4 Likes