Nightly builds

I appreciate your help and it is good enough. May I suggest that you then just install nightly for a few ours test if your problem still exists make debug logs and return to stable?

Iā€™ll be totally honest. Iā€™m absolutely stoked about receiving the nightly updates. I enjoy seeing the progress at a day to day level. I fully expect things to not always work, itā€™s part of the process. FWIW, I truly appreciate all the hard work and effort that the devs put into CE as a whole. I think panning the nightlies for the exact purpose that theyā€™re intended is totally counter productive.

Lets keep this conversation civil because I want to listen. You heard our opinion and we heard yours.

Now Iā€™m calling out the community for a solution to this mess.
We need a way to reduce support burden. If everyone is on nightlies and everyone remains on different daily builds we have a massive fragmentation. So please suggestions how to solve this without autoupdates.

Because the nightly before the current one is technically no longer supported.

I run the nightlies every time that they are available and of course accept that when you are at the bleeding edge then occasionally, things might not work as before.

But this is the whole idea of them. To gauge and report issues so that development can be perfected in pursuit of the next stable release.

Without this vitally important process, development would be slower because the devs would not receive feedback and then, inevitably and ironically, there would be a band of users that would then complain about slow implementation of features and bug fixes.

Users should also remember that the Kodi environment itself is also part of CE and changes incorporated by the Kodi devs is also important for itā€™s future development.

The bottom line is so very easy.

Want stability based upon one point in time - Use the stable releases.

Want to be as up to date as possible and give feedback to the devs - Use the nightlies.

I guess those that are not happy could ask for their money back.

But wait, itā€™s free!!

3 Likes

Make a stable release and continue nightlies as they are now.

1 Like

@Ray the only solution is to do a stable build if some strange people want to stay on old/buggy versions.

1 Like

@Compent could not have said it better myself, thank you.

Btw. an open secret is that my testbuilds I push out often are not enforced by auto updates. So you get up-to-date builds and no update notification or autoupdate :wink:

Sure. Great.

But these are highly experimental builds anyway.

I did not know that. You at one point had said that you will no longer be providing the test.coreelec files and we should use nightlies. Otherwise, I wouldnā€™t have moved.

Because these were official testbuilds and imo nightlies were more recent. Iā€™m in the process to test 4.9.177 kernel. And it is looking good. I can maybe merge it to nightlies on the weekend and if there are no major issues we could test a bit next week and do a real stable N2 build.

I am serious and I appreciate ideas!

Sorry about the mix-up, but then you have official 9.0.2 stable version to choose, without annoying and bothering popupsā€¦
(BTW, is it then only 1 user out of 400 that is complaining about forced updates?)

1 Like

I think we need to provide an alternative for the N2. Till now there is no stable. If we do then Nightlies can stay this way for people actually wanting to be part if this daily cycle. Free choice ok?

No hard feelings. I donā€™t want you to think that your opinion doesnā€™t matter or I donā€™t care about users!

Yes I think it would be good thing to have a stable option and remember no software is bug free but from my experience with CE itā€™s very stable as it is now never had any real issues, so it could be made stable now.

@trogggy both of those ideas increase the support burden, not reduce it and this is something we already do and have been doing since day 1.

Thatā€™s the way I always had it, since OpenElec on my first RPi. I had on one SD my daily driver with last stable version, and on another SD latest knightly to inform myself, and help in some way that I could.

1 Like